ADVERTISEMENT

TU -3

Tulane lost at home to SMU this past weekend. Might explain the line. Less than 14k fans attended that game btw.

Saw the 4th Q of SMU-Tulane. One zipped pass from Hicks was enough. Tulane QB is a scrambler but he doesn't protect the ball (Skipperish) and SMU easily stripped him twice.

I still wonder if TU has enough to beat any team. I laughed at that line. I also laughed at UT being favored by only 2 in Stillwater.

Wonder how our 3 man front and 5 dbs will fare against an option team.

They have sdhown a lot of grit so hopefully they will shine.

Wonder how our 3 man front and 5 dbs will fare against an option team.

They have sdhown a lot of grit so hopefully they will shine.
Actually I think we are set up well to go against Tulane and Navy and actually will dare them to throw the football. Our starting CBs right now (Green and Nu Hill) are good tacklers. Collins and Cannon are great pursuit guys. Whitfield is showing me that he is an NFL type of SS in coverage, pursuit, and tackling. Powers is an above avg. tackler. I would say we need someone else at FS for those games knowing you need a better tackler...and Manny isn't that guy.

Reactions: TULOYAL
FWIW, Tulsa defensive rankings:

18th passing yards allowed
34th passing efficiency defense (UCF is 16th)
51st red zone defense
58th passes intercepted
64th first down defense
67th overall defense
75th 3rd down defense
77th opponent yards per game.
77th opponents yards per play (not a typo, exact same rank)
84th scoring defense
89th opponents punts to score ratio
100th tackles for loss
109th opponents 4th QT points per game
110th rushing defense
122nd team sacks

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/team-stats/

FWIW, Tulsa defensive rankings:

18th passing yards allowed
34th passing efficiency defense (UCF is 16th)
51st red zone defense
58th passes intercepted
64th first down defense
67th overall defense
75th 3rd down defense
77th opponent yards per game.
77th opponents yards per play (not a typo, exact same rank)
84th scoring defense
89th opponents punts to score ratio
100th tackles for loss
109th opponents 4th QT points per game
110th rushing defense
122nd team sacks

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/team-stats/

What those stats show is a solid defense, good tacklers, who tend to get pushed around. A bend don't break type defense.

What they don't show? How bad our turnovers kill us. We would probably be top 50 in points allowed if you took out just the touchdowns from turnovers or opponent drives of less than 25 yards.

Reactions: TU_BLA
What those stats show is a solid defense, good tacklers, who tend to get pushed around. A bend don't break type defense.

What they don't show? How bad our turnovers kill us. We would probably be top 50 in points allowed if you took out just the touchdowns from turnovers or opponent drives of less than 25 yards.

Only a few of the categories really relate to turnovers by the offense (total defensive numbers, in that turnovers by the offense necessarily result in more yards or scores for the other offense). Otherwise, they would either be improved by more offensive plays (sacks, interceptions, scoring defense) or are ratios. Tulsa is 65th (statistically average) in time of possession on offense - so our defense should be no more tired than average.

And bend but don't break? We are 89th in scoring to punting ratio. Most of the time the other team gets the ball, they score. The other teams does that because we are below average in most defensive categories. I don't think the data supports the contention that we are a team that gives up lots of yards but stops people from scoring (we are 75th in opponent points per game, 74th in points per play).

Again - opponents get more yards per play than average, score on more drives than average, and score more points than average.

Our defense is improved. It is not the weak spot on this team and with this defense and the Tulsa offense we expect, we'd be competitive with everyone we play this year. But I hesitate to call a defense "solid" that is statistically below average.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Only a few of the categories really relate to turnovers by the offense (total defensive numbers, in that turnovers by the offense necessarily result in more yards or scores for the other offense). Otherwise, they would either be improved by more offensive plays (sacks, interceptions, scoring defense) or are ratios. Tulsa is 65th (statistically average) in time of possession on offense - so our defense should be no more tired than average.

And bend but don't break? We are 89th in scoring to punting ratio. Most of the time the other team gets the ball, they score. The other teams does that because we are below average in most defensive categories. I don't think the data supports the contention that we are a team that gives up lots of yards but stops people from scoring (we are 75th in opponent points per game, 74th in points per play).

Again - opponents get more yards per play than average, score on more drives than average, and score more points than average.

Our defense is improved. It is not the weak spot on this team and with this defense and the Tulsa offense we expect, we'd be competitive with everyone we play this year. But I hesitate to call a defense "solid" that is statistically below average.

Actually those numbers prove my point even more.

We average so many turnovers on our side of the field that the offenses don't have far or long to go. In fact in hidden yardage I would assume that the starting field position for the other team is pretty outrageous.

The turnovers mean we don't punt as often and our poor offensive efforts including penalties mean when we do we still give good field position to the opposing offense.
Fewer tries, less yards to go, equal a higher percentage of scores. This is also why our punter often has such a high average on kicks.

The turn overs are killing a decent or solid defense. A above average offense would have this defense looking incredible. Alas the first will continue and the second seems unlikely.

Hearing Chad may get some meaningful snaps at QB tomorrow.

May be the best option for the team. This game and UConn give the team the best chance to win.

Monty is likely coaching for his job, a performance like last year and he is done for sure.

Hearing Chad may get some meaningful snaps at QB tomorrow.

Best chance for a chance a W since we can’t really pass anyway. It forces the D to consider two legit running threats on the read option.

It gives the D a read but, still forces them to consider two options.

Not sure it will help but, Monty is at a point where he has to throw everything realistically possible out there to save his job.

A loss on Jerry O’s Jersey retirement will not sit well. A follow up loss at homecoming will be more than most 1st half only important attendees can stomach.

Reactions: cmullinsTU

Considering the spots the offense put them in, they have been very good.

May be the best option for the team. This game and UConn give the team the best chance to win.

Monty is likely coaching for his job, a performance like last year and he is done for sure.

I don’t think the money is there to make a change, unless the university can force a salary cut that he can’t live with...

As much as I want a change, I just don’t see it happening.

If only I had won the Mega Millions...

Reactions: maverickfp
Do we really want another look at President? That does not help this team. Lets play actual QB's and not a player that thinks he is one. We have already seen his ability. I guess Montgomery is going back to feeling sorry for the guy again.

Will we be madder than the "angry wave" to get a win? All 5k of us at the game will certainly hope so. We certainly owe those suckers.

Do we really want another look at President? That does not help this team. Lets play actual QB's and not a player that thinks he is one. We have already seen his ability. I guess Montgomery is going back to feeling sorry for the guy again.

Yes and his ability adds up to more than what we have seen from any of the others, who all have had a chance.

He doesn't turn the ball over and the offense is decent with him.

Skipper turns it over multiple times a game.

Boomer is struggling and not ready yet.

Monty isn't feeling sorry for President, he is trying to save his job.

President is better? That ship has sailed. He is not a QB. Play Davis until you get your guy eligible. Montgomery is not going anywhere because there is no one better available.

I’m not advocating that President is the full time starter, BUT he should be getting 2-3 full series a game as a change up. His ability to run and throw an occasional pass will loosen up the LBs and the DEs to keep them honest and free up some of the middle runs. Heck, as a changeup, Is put him out there to start the game vs Tulane. There’s little film on President this year and it certainly would catch Tulane off guard in their defensive prep. But he’s not a good answer to be the FT QB. I would think that would result in man coverage and 8 in the box all the time.

Montgomery is not going anywhere because there is no one better available.

There are easily 10-15 potential candidates that are better than Monty. Go look at the top teams in C-USA and Sun Belt most of those HC would come here. Then there’s P5 OCs and DCs that would take the job.

The only reason Monty will be here next year is the poorly planned contract we signed him too. It’s not because he’s a great coach or doing a good job.

Hell, if this is what we should expect, I’d rather have Blankenship back for half the price and he’s at least an alumnus. He’d get the same number of Ws and the offense would be just as anemic as the one we have now.

There are easily 10-15 potential candidates that are better than Monty. Go look at the top teams in C-USA and Sun Belt most of those HC would come here. Then there’s P5 OCs and DCs that would take the job.

The only reason Monty will be here next year is the poorly planned contract we signed him too. It’s not because he’s a great coach or doing a good job.

Hell, if this is what we should expect, I’d rather have Blankenship back for half the price and he’s at least an alumnus. He’d get the same number of Ws and the offense would be just as anemic as the one we have now.

There are numerous FCS coaches and D2 coaches that would give their left nut to coach at an FBS school. Our problem is that the search won’t be ran by a competent AD or a knowledgeable football friendly search committee.

Don’t forget our shoe deal limiting the pool as well.

President is better? That ship has sailed. He is not a QB. Play Davis until you get your guy eligible. Montgomery is not going anywhere because there is no one better available.

Brin isn’t anywhere close to being ready to play at this level. Chad and Boomer is what’s available and that’s who we will see. Give both a few series then go with the hot (or warm) hand. My preference would be to tailor a game plan for Chad and give it a go. Our D should be good enough to win this game imo.

Brin isn’t anywhere close to being ready to play at this level. Chad and Boomer is what’s available and that’s who we will see .... .... Our D should be good enough to win this game imo.
This has to be true given what we learned once Hefley took the field last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT