ADVERTISEMENT

TU’s Late Start Consequences?

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Football is truly a year round sport that requires the investment of an incredible amount of time to produce victories. With the long lay-off in training coupled with the controversial administrative decision to delay training until July and not June, what second and third order effects will materialize with this team this season?
I fear that their will be an increase in injuries across the board due to the shortened amount of time to train. I can also see the quality of our offense declining (if that’s even possible for this team) due to lack of time spent training together? I also see Monty getting a pass after this season regardless of the record due to across the board university budget cuts. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: TU_BLA
I have thought the same thing with starting late. Starting earlier to get a leg up on competition would have been nice (and smart) but the powers at be decided not to do it.

It won’t matter. 90% of football is idiotic over obsessive preparation because there are so few games and just a few losses can devastate your year.

I’m sure the boys have been working hard and will be ready. But it could impact the youngsters learning curve if they are just coming in.

I don’t think injuries or coaching will be impacted. We tend to get ready for one game a year and other wise the coaching has been pretty much the same game to game with little innovation or scheming.

And we’ve been devastated by injuries in years past. So between the brutal nature of this offensive and the lack of imagination by the coaches, I’m sure we will be running trap plays on 3rd and 23 and smashing players against each other like we always do.

Not worried.

Reactions: texicane
It won’t matter. 90% of football is idiotic over obsessive preparation because there are so few games and just a few losses can devastate your year.

I’m sure the boys have been working hard and will be ready. But it could impact the youngsters learning curve if they are just coming in.

I don’t think injuries or coaching will be impacted. We tend to get ready for one game a year and other wise the coaching has been pretty much the same game to game with little innovation or scheming.

And we’ve been devastated by injuries in years past. So between the brutal nature of this offensive and the lack of imagination by the coaches, I’m sure we will be running trap plays on 3rd and 23 and smashing players against each other like we always do.

Not worried.
Huffy, without having access to gyms, I’m not so sure our boys have had the opportunity to really push themselves anywhere close to the levels needed to compete at a high level under the supervision of the Strength & Conditioning Coaches. Especially the big boys!

Huffy, without having access to gyms, I’m not so sure our boys have had the opportunity to really push themselves anywhere close to the levels needed to compete at a high level under the supervision of the Strength & Conditioning Coaches. Especially the big boys!
You’ll find that there’s ways around that. We will have some guys come in under conditioned I’m sure, but that’s every year. And maybe a few that did not realize gains they might have reached. But a significant number of the guys have been working out in facilities no different, and perhaps better in some cases, than what TU could offer.

Football is truly a year round sport that requires the investment of an incredible amount of time to produce victories. With the long lay-off in training coupled with the controversial administrative decision to delay training until July and not June, what second and third order effects will materialize with this team this season?
I fear that their will be an increase in injuries across the board due to the shortened amount of time to train. I can also see the quality of our offense declining (if that’s even possible for this team) due to lack of time spent training together? I also see Monty getting a pass after this season regardless of the record due to across the board university budget cuts. What are your thoughts?
BULLSEYE. Team can suck and Monty will get a pass

You’ll find that there’s ways around that. We will have some guys come in under conditioned I’m sure, but that’s every year. And maybe a few that did not realize gains they might have reached. But a significant number of the guys have been working out in facilities no different, and perhaps better in some cases, than what TU could offer.
I hope so!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Tyler Smith has videos posted on social media of his rigorous workouts. When you want something bad enough you find a way to do it. Athletes at this level, even though it’s just little Tulsa, have to put in the work because there is always someone behind you working harder trying to take your spot. We got some ground and pounders .....

Houston just suspended workouts because 9 of their players tested positive.
They declined to test their player when they returned to campus. This was avoidable! UCF tested 60 players and three tested positive with no symptoms. They are in self quarantine and doing well.

With as conservative as the university has been through every step of this so far, I’d fully expect every player to get tested upon arrival. The only reason they wouldn’t is to save money but they’ve lost millions already. No need to save a couple thousand and risk safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT