ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Phipps

Totally agree
My guess is that fan interest will wane from the top to the bottom
It could kill off many programs which do not like the AAC have TV revenue

I believe his dad transferred out after his freshman year at OU too.
His father sat on the bench for two years , then transferred to Northeastern State.
Conley was an assistant at NSU for Ken Hayes and was runner-up to Larry Gibson in 1997.

College BB is not that fun anymore with this transfer crap. It takes away the fun.
Yes, very much what free agency did to baseball, except more so...The stability of
being able to watch a player progress through his career is nearly gone....Now, the
harder you work to develop your prospects, the more likely you are to be developing
them for someone else...You will still do it, however....Pride is sometimes a strange
bedfellow....

Trey gets to tell his kids he played at OU. (probably won't admit he sucked) He's slow and can't play D

Trey gets to tell his kids he played at OU. (probably won't admit he sucked) He's slow and can't play D
Exactly....I was never sure why we were so hot to recruit him.....AAC guards must be
able to shoot (he's great at it), rebound (what?), and be quick enough to play defense...
(no!!)....He would not be happy, or get enough PT to make it interesting for him.....

Exactly....I was never sure why we were so hot to recruit him.....AAC guards must be
able to shoot (he's great at it), rebound (what?), and be quick enough to play defense...
(no!!)....He would not be happy, or get enough PT to make it interesting for him.....
Trey would be a good Division 2 player , a good strong guard can take him
to the hole anytime . Why sit on the bench and be a scrub when you can
shine and contribute at Rogers State or Northeastern State .

Trey would be a good Division 2 player , a good strong guard can take him
to the hole anytime . Why sit on the bench and be a scrub when you can
shine and contribute at Rogers State or Northeastern State .
I bet he will contribute at ORU in the next couple of seasons. OK was probably a level too high for him but he didn't lose anything to try it. Still has 4 years and i am sure he has gotten better playing against that level for a year.

If Abmas and Obanor come back imagine how many open shots he would get. The one thing you know he can do is knock down open 3s.

He will likely end up at ORU.
I don't expect Tulsa to show any interest, and so far that's been the case. I'll let you know if that changes. I've got a thread going in Hurricane Alley which lists many of the current transfers that TU has contacted or checked on.

TU never showed interest...and he ended up at ORU.

He’s a helluva shooter, but needs to develop a great deal more strength. He wasn’t a good fit for OU, wouldn’t have been here either, but given time and the level of competition he could be a very good player at ORU. Wish him well and let’s move on.

Reactions: darrenj
ORU’s coach Mills signs new 8 year contract. That may have contributed to Phipps choice. If Abmas & Obanor stay, they might be pretty good next season.

I could’ve sworn BLA said Mills hated it there & couldn’t wait to leave.

ORU’s coach Mills signs new 8 year contract. That may have contributed to Phipps choice. If Abmas & Obanor stay, they might be pretty good next season.

I could’ve sworn BLA said Mills hated it there & couldn’t wait to leave.
That’s one heck of a contract , if this was a one hit wonder , ORU is screwed

Reactions: TU 1978
I dont know why everyone thought Mills, Abmas and Obanor were leaving after 1 good year. And essentially it was really just a great month. Rest of the season was average

So we offered Phipps he committed then dumped us then went to Sooners leaves them and picks oru over us is this a first someone picks Oru over Tulsa after being offered and committed to Tulsa originally?

• Angry
Reactions: goldfan83
So we offered Phipps he committed then dumped us then went to Sooners leaves them and picks oru over us is this a first someone picks Oru over Tulsa after being offered and committed to Tulsa originally?

He didn’t pick ORU over Tulsa. After he broke his commitment and went to OU, he was history to Tulsa. Tulsa never recruited him after he left OU.

He’s not what we needed, so we didn’t go chasing him. Glad we found that out at OU’s expense.

Chris Cantrell transferred from Tulsa to ORU a few years back. He didn’t add much value at either place though.

Did you mean about 40 years back? Lol! I remember Cantrell playing two seasons at ORU in the early 80's, organizing a boycott when Hayes was fired. I believe he started at ORU. I didn't remember him being at TU.

That’s the guy. Played his first two years here before transferring. He may have been the only player that followed through on the boycott.

Yeah. He went to ORU when Nolan came in.

Link below because a band member leaped into the arena and punched him once. It’s amazing the random things we remember about Oklahoma sports.

https://oklahoman.com/article/2007155/oru-cage-season-at-end
Yeah that's what I do when I can't handle the pressure of finals. I drop 💧 my horn 🎺, and go punch a basketball 🏀 player in the stomach. Sounded more like he went out with his girlfriend. A little advice for that bandfreak woulda been pop him in the mouth if you do anything.(If he could reach it.)

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT