ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Illingworth at OSU just entered the portal. He won the game vs TU last year...before that Sanders was just lost and so was OSU's offense.
Sanders played well against TU but was hurt in the first quarter. Bullock is the guy you’re thinking about. He was beyond bad. Illingsworth was the backup but had been out due to Covid so Bullock got the call when Sanders was knocked out of the game. Illingsworth came in late and bailed OSU out.

Sanders played well against TU but was hurt in the first quarter. Bullock is the guy you’re thinking about. He was beyond bad. Illingsworth was the backup but had been out due to Covid so Bullock got the call when Sanders was knocked out of the game. Illingsworth came in late and bailed OSU out.
I don't remember Bullock playing at all. I just remember Sanders was in, got crumpled by a Collins hit and then was ineffective trying to play through it, especially when TU basically eliminated OSU's run game. Sanders wasn't particularly effective before he got hurt either though. Timing was way off and it just looked like TU made him really uncomfortable. He looked the same in this year's game as well, just healthier and TU struggled a bit more to keep him contained and TU had no answer for the jump ball passes outside.

I thought Illingworth was a pretty good QB and maybe better than Sanders, but he wasn't necessarily going to give you the extra dimension of him running like Sanders did, but as a pure pocket passer, he was much better. I wonder if he'd fit in Monty's scheme...even though the offense calls for a QB to run, we never do so it's more of a pro-style QB. (Not that I think Davis is bad...he just needs to make better decisions and find open targets instead of blindly throwing to the spot the play was designed for).

I don't remember Bullock playing at all. I just remember Sanders was in, got crumpled by a Collins hit and then was ineffective trying to play through it, especially when TU basically eliminated OSU's run game. Sanders wasn't particularly effective before he got hurt either though. Timing was way off and it just looked like TU made him really uncomfortable. He looked the same in this year's game as well, just healthier and TU struggled a bit more to keep him contained and TU had no answer for the jump ball passes outside.

I thought Illingworth was a pretty good QB and maybe better than Sanders, but he wasn't necessarily going to give you the extra dimension of him running like Sanders did, but as a pure pocket passer, he was much better. I wonder if he'd fit in Monty's scheme...even though the offense calls for a QB to run, we never do so it's more of a pro-style QB. (Not that I think Davis is bad...he just needs to make better decisions and find open targets instead of blindly throwing to the spot the play was designed for).
Sanders got hurt on the second series and came out of the game. He was 2-2 for 23 yards. Bullock played from that point until he was relieved late in the 3rd quarter by Illingsworth. Illinsgworth obviously lit TU up to pull the game out. Illingsworth is a good pocket QB. Better arm than Sanders and probably anyone who TU has on Campus. He would be a good get for TU imo. Assume he probably ends up back on the west coast.

Didn't know second stringer's name but he was beyond awful for OSU.

Illingsworth was much more competent but a missed opportunity for the Golden Hurricane.

GO TU!!!!

Didn't know second stringer's name but he was beyond awful for OSU.

Illingsworth was much more competent but a missed opportunity for the Golden Hurricane.

GO TU!!!!
Illinsgworth was second string but because he hadn’t practiced due to Covid Bullock got the first call in the TU game. As you said, Bullock might have been the worst D1 QB I had ever seen.

Illinsgworth was second string but because he hadn’t practiced due to Covid Bullock got the first call in the TU game. As you said, Bullock might have been the worst D1 QB I had ever seen.
We had that game won 7-3 had Gundy not went to his 3rd QB.

Gumby put a guy in against Colorado 10 or 11 years ago and he was god awful finally put Weeden in and the rest is history!!! That guy was about as bad maybe worse then Bullock LOL.

GO TU!!!

Illingworth at OSU just entered the portal. He won the game vs TU last year...before that Sanders was just lost and so was OSU's offense.
I posted this on another thread, but an OSU friend of mine pointed out that his twitter has his location listed as Tulsa, but he came to OSU from California. Also, he doesn't follow a ton of people, but Tulsa Football was one. Maybe there is something going on there.

I posted this on another thread, but an OSU friend of mine pointed out that his twitter has his location listed as Tulsa, but he came to OSU from California. Also, he doesn't follow a ton of people, but Tulsa Football was one. Maybe there is something going on there.
Maybe Bray and Boomer (Grayson) are good friends of his? Would make sense.

so our net result?
quanity.
quality.
He never saw any action, to speak of. So? That opens up a scholarship for a possible player that could contribute.

It will be interesting whether he drops down a division, goes juco, or walks away from the game.

You have to wish the young man the very best with his future endeavors.

Did he think he would not be playing?
Doubt it, with all the turnover. Magine he met the new OL coach, assesed the situation, and abandoned a sinking ship. Our football season is beginning to resemble this years basketball season.

Montgomery is joining the ranks of grifters, from a school making repetitive bad decisions about money, coaches, and facilities. We are starting to resemble the World's opinion of us over the past 5 or so years.

Doubt it, with all the turnover. Magine he met the new OL coach, assesed the situation, and abandoned a sinking ship. Our football season is beginning to resemble this years basketball season.

Montgomery is joining the ranks of grifters, from a school making repetitive bad decisions about money, coaches, and facilities. We are starting to resemble the World's opinion of us over the past 5 or so years.
Monty has/had minimal to zero input on facilities. Constantly bringing in journeyman coaches is just that. Promoting coaches within the program is very positive. Same thing with portal players. Bringing in loads of portal players destroys a team’s culture over time. Monty has to be “selective” in the portal just as he does on the recruiting trail.

The reality is that this program has had to fight way above its weight for many decades, and that‘s not going to change.

The offensive line needs 2 more “solid“ portal players, defensive line 1-2 portal players, in particular a run stuffer. The Colorado kid, hopefully, could be the guy.

Gadlin? At 6’2” 275lbs. does not strike fear in an opposing players heart. He’s an undersized lineman.

Monty, or any TU coach for that matter, is “typically“ not going to get “finished” players.

I don’t spend a lot of time looking at the portal but I do glance at the portal from time to time. Some of these teams, particularly Auburn, have been crushed. TU’s portal coming and going has been, so far, manageable.

If you look at the lineup of AAC head football coaches it’s been a turnstile. Brutal. Only one team, Navy, has had longer tenure of head football coaches.

Last edited:
Monty has/had minimal to zero input on facilities. Constantly bringing in journeyman coaches is just that. Promoting coaches within the program is very positive. Same thing with portal players. Bringing in loads of portal players destroys a team’s culture over time. Monty has to be “selective” in the portal just as he does on the recruiting trail.

The reality is that this program has had to fight way above its weight for many decades, and that‘s not going to change.

The offensive line needs 2 more “solid“ portal players, defensive line 1-2 portal players, in particular a run stuffer. The Colorado kid, hopefully, could be the guy.

Gadlin? At 6’2” 275lbs. does not strike fear in an opposing players heart. He’s an undersized lineman.

Monty, or any TU coach for that matter, is “typically“ not going to get “finished” players.

I don’t spend a lot of time looking at the portal but I do glance at the portal from time to time. Some of these teams, particularly Auburn, have been crushed. TU’s portal coming and going has been, so far, manageable.

If you look at the lineup of AAC head football coaches it’s been a turnstile. Brutal. Only one team, Navy, has had longer tenure of head football coaches.
Say hi to Monty for me.

Monty has done some good things but also has let his stubbornness get in the way of greater success. The football team is not too far from being really good IMO because we DO develop players.
This. Saw Tyler Smith's interview session at the combine and he mentioned HS greatest asset was his aggressiveness which he attributed to being a defensive lineman for his first couple of years in HS football and then he switched to OL. So we got a kid that probably didn't have P5 coaches chasing him because he had only been playing OL a short time when it came time to his recruitment. TU helped build him into what he is now. And if he goes in the 1st round as some project he might, that will be the 2nd consecutive year we've had a 1st rounder come from TU. Bet you can count the number of schools that have had 1st rounders the last 2 seasons on your fingers and we'd be one but OSU and OU would not. That's the recruiting pitch.

Joey can sit on the sidelines at TCU or Arkansas or he can get his nose bloody on Saturday’s in Tulsa. It’s Joey’s call.

This community would get fired up about him coming to town.

Reactions: loca2874 and TU1NNJ
Tyler had multiple big time offers however he missed a year of playing due to a medical situation that required surgery to fix. Our offer was the last one standing ….Tyler is a great kid with a huge personality. It will be fun to watch him at the next level.

Last edited:
I love that name….”King”…..Had dog named king….
I did too. A collie. I used to tease my mother at the dinner table by saying this meal is fit for a king. Here king, come here boy. Of course I was kidding. My mother was a saint and a great cook.

Reactions: Oak775
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT