ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal 2022-2023

The guy had no O-Line this year. All the shots he took... It must have played a serious toll on his health, and if not now, maybe when he's my age and it aches to sneeze in the mornings.

The guy had no O-Line this year. All the shots he took... It must have played a serious toll on his health, and if not now, maybe when he's my age and it aches to sneeze in the mornings.
Bro, the sneezing is definitely an issue at our age. I dislocated a rib once I sneezed so hard.

• Haha
Reactions: TU Pilot
Good for him. TU needs a fresh start anyway with younger players.

Hopefully the new coach has a QB in mind to bring in.

Portal not =gone. New coach can ‘recruit’ current players he wants.
I would assume most players that go into the portal will see who the next coach is and give them a chance for the pitch...similar to Sam Griffin in basketball. The exception would be Brin...I would not be surprised to see him at a place like UTSA or UNT. He's from Boerne right? That's down in the SA area if my Texas geography holds up. Wouldn't it be weird if he ended up at Texas St?

I’m not on IG. What’s up with them?
They're not happy with the decision. Sleep called it "cold" and Dane went so far as to say Monty saved his career and passion for the game. He called him the best coach he has ever played for. Then, we have a bunch of Gooner and Cowtipper fans who are saying OU/OSU should hire him 🤣. I read one guy's take who claimed we should drop football as we have "never been competitive". Ignorance is on another level with some of the posters on all 3 sites lol.

I stayed close with some of the guys all the way through his 3rd year (I was off campus before Blank ever got fired or had a meltdown) and I must admit, Monty is a hell of a good man and his players loved him. I don't blame him for everything that has happened, some of this is on the past two A.D.'s for not pushing him to hire an OC. I am told that conversation never happened, maybe one of you could shed light on that for me. I don't think that would have mattered, Philip "had" to control the offense. Even in his arguably best season (2016) it was obvious that it had been Monty and not Gilbert or Mattox who retooled the offense upon their arrival. Flashing back to this time 6 years ago, my biggest worry was he would bolt before winning a title, so it's a little surreal that it ends this way. That said, I agree 100% that it was time for a change.

Last edited:
They're not happy with the decision. Sleep called it "cold" and Dane went so far as to say Monty saved his career and passion for the game. He called him the best coach he has ever played for. Then, we have a bunch of Gooner and Cowtipper fans who are saying OU/OSU should hire him 🤣. I read one guy's take who claimed we should drop football as we have "never been competitive". Ignorance is on another level with some of posters on all 3 sites lol.
I'm OK with players/former players weighing in. They have 1st hand knowledge of him as a person and coach. For someone like Dane where Monty did seem to be able to get him going, it was important and he's playing pro football because of his time with Monty. I get it. For those that had a close relationship with Monty as the coach and person it's going to sting and they may not always be able to view the situation from their perspective from a what's best for the program stance. I saw tweets from some former players, pre-Monty era throwing their support for GJ and Milkman (Trey Watts for one).

Whenever a coaching change happens, especially when the coach seemed to do all the off the field stuff pretty well, wasn't mired in scandal, had the right priorities for his players in mind, and is generally an overall good guy, you're always going to have fans on both sides and some are passionate about their take. I think we all get it.

Objectively...to move the program forward and upward, this needed to happen.

Hopefully they have a list of candidates and are setting up interviews now. That being said, Luke Fickell is headed to Wisconsin. Leaving Cincinnati as they are moving to the little 12
I see Fickell's move as one of seeing the reality that Cincinnati is not going to be a top of the league program in the Big XII for a few seasons. They're good but I can't imagine they would run a gauntlet of KState, TCU, OK State, and Baylor and then when you throw in Texas Tech and a vastly improved Kansas it gets harder. And if Campbell can find some offense for Iowa State...wait there's another tough game. And maybe the toughest road trip in the entire conference is going to Morgantown where WVa seems nearly impossible to beat (at least OU and OSU think so). Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are in for a reality check in addition to the payday checks. Which one is more important to them?

Add: We have a better chance of making the CFP than those 3 schools once it expands.

Reactions: loca2874
I'm OK with players/former players weighing in. They have 1st hand knowledge of him as a person and coach. For someone like Dane where Monty did seem to be able to get him going, it was important and he's playing pro football because of his time with Monty. I get it. For those that had a close relationship with Monty as the coach and person it's going to sting and they may not always be able to view the situation from their perspective from a what's best for the program stance. I saw tweets from some former players, pre-Monty era throwing their support for GJ and Milkman (Trey Watts for one).

Whenever a coaching change happens, especially when the coach seemed to do all the off the field stuff pretty well, wasn't mired in scandal, had the right priorities for his players in mind, and is generally an overall good guy, you're always going to have fans on both sides and some are passionate about their take. I think we all get it.

Objectively...to move the program forward and upward, this needed to happen.
I'm sure Dane's situation with the Hamilton Ti-Cats put him in a mood, where this would be his first reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: OKTornadoes
Hopefully they have a list of candidates and are setting up interviews now. That being said, Luke Fickell is headed to Wisconsin. Leaving Cincinnati as they are moving to the little 12
Two of the main candidates were probably ready to interview weeks ago.(GJ & Wells) Wells seems like he already has done several pre interviews.

Two of the main candidates were probably ready to interview weeks ago.(GJ & Wells) Wells seems like he already has done several pre interviews.
Hopefully, if the TU admin (specifically Rick Dickson) knew this was coming down, then he did reach out to GJ early on to get an idea about where he stood and what he wanted to accomplish and a plan for a staff and approach to recruiting and needing to find players to fit a completely different system and a plan for the redevelopment of the current players to play in a new system. Here's my guess...if TU is impatient and wants a coach now, we'll hear by the weekend that it's Matt Wells. If they are OK waiting a week or two to make an announcement, I feel like that points to GJ. From all of the info I've gathered here and other places, they seem to be the 2 primary candidates that TU is serious about. Doesn't mean Rick won't talk to Mickey Joseph or some other candidates.

I'm sure Dane's situation with the Hamilton Ti-Cats put him in a mood where this would be his first reaction.
I am sure it has to be frustrating, I know he was having a very hard time with it over the late summer/early autumn. He was to a point where he was considering deleting his Twitter account.

Hopefully, if the TU admin (specifically Rick Dickson) knew this was coming down, then he did reach out to GJ early on to get an idea about where he stood and what he wanted to accomplish and a plan for a staff and approach to recruiting and needing to find players to fit a completely different system and a plan for the redevelopment of the current players to play in a new system. Here's my guess...if TU is impatient and wants a coach now, we'll hear by the weekend that it's Matt Wells. If they are OK waiting a week or two to make an announcement, I feel like that points to GJ. From all of the info I've gathered here and other places, they seem to be the 2 primary candidates that TU is serious about. Doesn't mean Rick won't talk to Mickey Joseph or some other candidates.
I'm thinking Dickson probably didn't reach out, but a friend of the program likely did.(with directions from Dickson)

I feel a move to hire Wells would be a regression. That might seem like a hot take, but I have not been impressed by Tech under Wells or OU's offense this year. I am assuming Lebby is going to do better with more weapons, but it (obviously) isn't something I follow. I can tolerate OU just slightly more than the "1945 National Champions", though lol. Back to us, I hope this is just a matter of waiting on The Word's season to wrap up so G.J. can come home. He could recruit Texas just as well as Monty, IMO. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see Braxton enter the portal, too.

I see Fickell's move as one of seeing the reality that Cincinnati is not going to be a top of the league program in the Big XII for a few seasons. They're good but I can't imagine they would run a gauntlet of KState, TCU, OK State, and Baylor and then when you throw in Texas Tech and a vastly improved Kansas it gets harder. And if Campbell can find some offense for Iowa State...wait there's another tough game. And maybe the toughest road trip in the entire conference is going to Morgantown where WVa seems nearly impossible to beat (at least OU and OSU think so). Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are in for a reality check in addition to the payday checks. Which one is more important to them?

Add: We have a better chance of making the CFP than those 3 schools once it expands.
The Cincinnati meltdown on Twitter is HILARIOUS. Those morons think they’re Ohio State but got a taste of reality when their coach left for Wisconsin lololol

They aren’t who they think they are!

I sure hope Braxton stays with right coaching he could be really good. He showed a lot in that Houston game

Reactions: OKTornadoes
I sure hope Braxton stays with right coaching he could be really good. He showed a lot in that Houston game
He's a perfect fit for the go go that Brennan and GJ would run. I'm not sure what Wells ran at Utah State but they were pretty high in terms of total offense when he was there. I suspect he would play a lot like GJ did when he was here. We just need to get an OL to protect and some pieces to catch the football. Would this also usher the return of the TE to our offense in a way that's more than just an extra OL?

I would assume most players that go into the portal will see who the next coach is and give them a chance for the pitch...similar to Sam Griffin in basketball. The exception would be Brin...I would not be surprised to see him at a place like UTSA or UNT. He's from Boerne right? That's down in the SA area if my Texas geography holds up. Wouldn't it be weird if he ended up at Texas St?
UH will need a QB…

They are very adamant that Cincinnati is BETTER than Wisconsin 🤦🏼‍♂️
Understanding that he still has young children I'm sure quality of life was a consideration. If you've spent any time in Cincinnati you understand that it's a weird layout until you get to the suburbs or cross the river into Kentucky. A block or two is nice, then three blocks of ghetto; rinse and repeat. THe area around campus and the Hospital complexes is not an area I'd want to frequent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT