Oct 3, 2001
Per Cayden on KJRH -

5. Football vs Tulane 2021
4. Paul Pressey 1981
3. Football vs Notre Dame
2. Basketball vs OSU 1994
1. Football vs Texas A&M 1991

What are your top 5?

The UCF highlights (Trey Watts' punt return) from the 2012 championship make it in there for me.

I'm not sure how high I would put ND. I've always felt that Brian Kelly / Tommy Rees blew that game more than we pulled it out at the end. ND was driving at the 19, down 1 with less than a minute to go, and instead of running the ball up the gut and kicking the field goal, they decide to pass for no reason.

The buzzer beater against Wichita State recently was pretty special. I also appreciated Dane's QB run in OT against Fresno to complete a 35 point comeback.

1) 1994 Sweet Sixteen run (vs UCLA, vs OSU) and if we're going specific moment, Lou Dawkins 3 form the corner vs OSU. I lived on campus during this time and it went absolutely bonkers
2) 1996 TU comeback vs Ok State (football) down 20 with 6 minutes left.
3) Trey Watts IQ return vs UCF
4) TU vs Notre Dame- Flanders INT in the end zone to seal it. (And yes, Brian Kelly's arrogance allowed us to win this, the moment was not any less exhilarating for a TU fan because of that fact)
5) Wes Caswell's 99 yd TD vs OU

I wasn't on campus or even knew about TU football during 1991. Came to campus the following year

Not on anyone’s highlight real, but one of my favorite games. The comeback against ORU in Woodard / Harrison’s freshman season. That was an amazing game to watch at a half empty Mabee Center.

football:
1. beating am at home
2. besting ND, there
3. beating Arkansas there, and lots of close calls
4. Glen Dobbs football. ( he ran a passing offense in an era of 3 yards and a cloud of dust )
5. beating osu in the 60s. 61? to 14
6. at arizona 1960 last second field goal. I was on the team charter.

basketball:
1. nolan rIchardson
2. tubby smith
3. ken trickey
4. joe swank

misc
1. baseball finals against Texas in the 60s
2. womens softball regionals against ou

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
For personal reasons, my #1 will always be 1991 vs Southern Miss.

Proposed to Ms. Babe the night before and she sat in the snow during the game gazing at her new ring, probably trying to find the diamond in it while my father kept reminding her to put her gloves back on.

And we won!

10. The often forgotten and rarely praised on here Derrick Ellison running by OSU at will. Gage to Kelley for 75 yards to beat OSU in the same 1986 game.
9. The BB Liberty Bowl trophy presentation.
8. Josh Atkinson catching his 1,000th yard reception to break the 5,000, 1000, and 3x1000 offense record.
7. Billy Tubbs conniption fit (you pick which one).
6. Charles Clay wheel route from Smith versus BYU. We hadn’t shown much in the previous game and we were stuffed throughout the first Qtr and had a couple of turnovers. Then that pass lit it up. We knew we had something special. By the time Roy Roberts had the pick six we knew we weren’t going to miss SK.
5. Dan Bitson running onto the field to warm up in 1991.
4. Shea Seals slamming home points 111 and 112 as time ticked down against former Number 1 UCLA. A much bigger win than OSU imho.
2. Flanders interception
1. The look in Coach Rader’s eye running off the field after Texas A&M in 1991.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA and TU1NNJ
9. The BB Liberty Bowl trophy presentation.
BB & others stood on the podium just holding the trophy, while I'm screaming my lungs out to ring the damn bell. Finally started ringing it & a couple of hundred of us in the stands went bonkers. The ISU fans, so numerous during the game, were all MIA during the ceremony.

Last edited:
BB & others stood on the podium just holding the trophy, while I'm screaming my lungs out to ring the damn bell. Finally started ringing it & a couple of hundred of us in the stands went bonkers. The ISU fans, so numerous during the game, were all MIA during the ceremony.
In defense of Iowa State's fans, that night was absolutely miserable weather wise. Raining and cold. My wife and I went back to the hotel room to warm up afterwards and then out to dinner to ring in the New Year (that is a great Liberty Bowl feature many years).

For personal reasons, my #1 will always be 1991 vs Southern Miss.

Proposed to Ms. Babe the night before and she sat in the snow during the game gazing at her new ring, probably trying to find the diamond in it while my father kept reminding her to put her gloves back on.

And we won!

That's a great story. i have a kind of similar one from that game also.

Not too long before this game I had married my wife who was a divorced mom with two little girls. At the time, we were living in her house which was in the TU area. It was close enough that I could walk to the games. After we won I started the walk home half frozen. I had barely gotten off the TU campus when I noticed my wife driving around in the blizzard conditions looking for me amoungst the crowd so that I could have a warm ride home. That's when I knew that we were probably going to make it. And we still are.

Babe, I enjoyed your memory. It sounds like we both did alright.

Per Cayden on KJRH -

5. Football vs Tulane 2021
4. Paul Pressey 1981
3. Football vs Notre Dame
2. Basketball vs OSU 1994
1. Football vs Texas A&M 1991

What are your top 5?

Can’t argue with that list, but I will add 5 more:
1. TU - Southern Miss snow bowl in 1991. 2. TU beating OU in Norman in 1996 (Wes Caswell 99 yd TD reception!)
3. TU-San Diego State Freedom Bowl win in Anaheim in 1991. 10,000+ TU fans, Goodyear blimp floating over the stadium
4. TU Elite 8 run in 2000, specifically the 2nd round win over Cincinnati.
5. Beating UNC (with Michael Jordan) at the Mabee Center in 1982.

One extra moment that didn’t happen, but should have…beat Arkansas in Fayetteville in late 80s with TJ Rubley at QB…Arkansas ref screwed us out of obvious first down (right in front of TU fan section) deep in their territory late in 4th quarter. With today’s replays, we win that game!

All of these listed are great moments.

Although TU football and basketball were favorites of our family when I was growing up a block south of Skelly Stadium, a great memory is also watching the TU baseball team coached by Gene Shell.

1923790_17730434145_8361_n.jpg

B-ball Tulsa vs UCLA 1994

Bball Tulsa vs Wichita St 2020

Football Tulsa vs OU 1996

Football Tulsa vs Fresno St 2005

Football Tulsa vs Norte Dame 2010

2) 1996 TU comeback vs Ok State (football) down 20 with 6 minutes left.

It only took 3 and a half quarters to finally realize to just throw it to whoever RW McQuarters was covering.

He turned out to be a really good player, but he was just a dazed & confused freshman that night.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT