ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Lisco

Liscio started at left offensive tackle for the Cowboys in the 1971 season in their Super Bowl VI victory over Miami. He started for the Cowboys in his nine years for them at both guard and tackle.

He had retired after getting traded following before the 1971 season to San Diego. He lost his starting job in 1970 to Hall of Famer Rayfield Wright. He was called out of retirement midway in the season when Ralph Neely broke a leg in a motorcycle accident. Dallas had to give up a draft pick to get him back. He immediately started two games in 5 days and played great all season, retiring again after the Super Bowl.

TU fans should be proud that Liscio and TU great Willie Townes started for Dallas in the NFL championship games of 1966 and 1967, while Jerry Rhome was the holder on field goals and extra points.

I remember Liscio as a member of the Cowboys but didn't know he played at TU. I don't remember Townes.

Liscio was the best pulling guard I ever saw in the NFL - a lost art. When he turned that corner to man up on a LBer, you could see the fear in their eyes. Then he'd normally cut their legs.. RIP.

Willie Townes was one of the best D Linemen to ever play here and was one of the great group of Dlinemen for the Cowboys. They were known as "Willie-Lilly- Jethro and George. Willie Townes, Bob Lilley, Jethro Pugh and George (?). Forgot the last one's last name (maybe Andrey?). But they were dominant.

Say, don't we have a "Pugh" relative playing for us as a walkon? Jacob?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT