ADVERTISEMENT

To all oklahoma state fans that think the little 12 is so much better then the AAC

This is a complete mess. On the other hand, however, it’s going to play out in a more purely market-driven way than even professional sports.

I mean, in pro sports you have agents negotiating contracts, which may or may not reflect the actual value a particular player has to a team. So player X gets his contracted pay, whether or not he performs well or not.

With NIL, Fred’s Chevy dealership isn’t going to continue paying some kid who never lives up to his recruiting hype. It’s not like the kid is negotiating a contract through an agent….at least not yet anyway.

This was a completely avoidable mess. But I’m beginning to think the NCAA allowed this on purpose, for the reason of creating chaos.
Maybe they were tired of everyone blaming them for all that was wrong with college athletics. Fans blamed them for being overly harsh when their school got slapped with probation by saying “everyone else was doing it or it wasn’t that bad or these kids need help financially while they are in school”. At some point there will need to be some order placed in this chaos and the NCAA is likely the organization that will step in but maybe with a stronger mandate than before. If some schools decide to break off from the NCAA I think things will get worse.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
The only authority the NCAA now has over the P5 conferences is the power those conferences allows the NCAA. The NCAA can’t fix this mess. Only the power conferences have that ability. Now they can grant the authority to the NCAA to work within a given framework but this all will have to start with those conferences.

Reactions: eastcane
The only authority the NCAA now has over the P5 conferences is the power those conferences allows the NCAA. The NCAA can’t fix this mess. Only the power conferences have that ability. Now they can grant the authority to the NCAA to work within a given framework but this all will have to start with those conferences.

Good luck!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think the IRS should take a good look at taxing the millions being spent by the P5 and their boosters. Looks like a good source of revenue.

Reactions: TU_BLA
$290,000 per season? That would be $1.16 million for 4 years or $1.45 million for 5 years. I’m sure players will be dropped immediately if they don’t measure up. Also, will players sue for injury settlements? This is beyond stupid.

Mack Brown’s comments on his QB being offered $5 million to transfer confirms how quickly these schools & boosters will ruin college football. OSU will need another TBoone to compete, if they really want to try.
That’s so messed up.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Take those millions spent on football NIL and spend 1M each on 5 basketball players if you want instant success. Too dilute in football.

Take those millions spent on football NIL and spend 1M each on 5 basketball players if you want instant success. To dilute in football.
I’m afraid that football is where the money is. Basketball and the rest of the Olympic sports are just along for the ride.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Take those millions spent on football NIL and spend 1M each on 5 basketball players if you want instant success which bankrupts the athletic department over time. To dilute in football.
There will be no such thing as a basketball school in the future. There will be schools that play elite level football who have basketball teams who are eligible to participate in both playoffs. There will be lower divisions that aren’t invited to either. To do what you are proposing would be catastrophically short sighted for TU with very little chance of success. There’s a reason why Hubert Davis, John Calipari and others no longer run their schools or their state. Their influence is waning and they’ve made public comments confessing that football is king even at their schools. While millions are being spent on Kroger Field and they can’t even get the Rupp Arena parking lot repaved right now. Five years ago UK boosters would have said no problem to $30 million for the starters and a second big man. Now? They are asking what does the football program need to stay in the upper half of the SEC in case there’s a split.

There will be no such thing as a basketball school in the future. There will be schools that play elite level football who have basketball teams who are eligible to participate in both playoffs. There will be lower divisions that aren’t invited to either. To do what you are proposing would be catastrophically short sighted for TU with very little chance of success. There’s a reason why Hubert Davis, John Calipari and others no longer run their schools or their state. Their influence is waning and they’ve made public comments confessing that football is king even at their schools. While millions are being spent on Kroger Field and they can’t even get the Rupp Arena parking lot repaved right now. Five years ago UK boosters would have said no problem to $30 million for the starters and a second big man. Now? They are asking what does the football program need to stay in the upper half of the SEC in case there’s a split.
I was in Philadelphia this week and was told by a friend it is a contributing factor to Jay Wright stepping down. Between their football program being FCS, the NIL money/transfer immediate eligibility not helping him keep and develop players for four years, he came to the realization that Villanova (it is a very wealthy school) would not be playing at its current level in the near future.

I was in Philadelphia this week and was told by a friend it is a contributing factor to Jay Wright stepping down. Between their football program being FCS, the NIL money/transfer immediate eligibility not helping him keep and develop players for four years, he came to the realization that Villanova (it is a very wealthy school) would not be playing at its current level in the near future.
All these greedy people are destroying college sports. I'm talking about everyone.(Administrations, media, athletic staff, players, etc) Everyone won't get theirs, and the sports won't be the same for it. I think in 10 or 15 years many college athletes will regret these changes about nil and transferring.

I saw where osu has the #56 rated football class this year.
Weird year for OSU recruiting. Very small and low rated high school class but large highly rated transfer class (#6 in the country). We will see how it plays out for them.

Weird year for OSU recruiting. Very small and low rated high school class but large highly rated transfer class (#6 in the country). We will see how it plays out for them.
Transfers are diminishing returns unless they both plug holes in your existing two deep AND match the balance on your roster by graduation year. Otherwise you eventually have a huge class with holes in it and a press conference a few years later where you talk about how young you are.

They should rate the quality and amount of time and money invested in players that leave before rating transfers in. If you spend $3 million in NIL and $200,000 a year in scholarships, food, travel and facilities for him to leave his senior year to go and try to play QB for a playoff team and likely fail at that attempt, then what have you or him gotten out of the deal other than another recruit with two or three years remaining that didn’t work out at a school you are trying to beat.

Transfers are diminishing returns unless they both plug holes in your existing two deep AND match the balance on your roster by graduation year. Otherwise you eventually have a huge class with holes in it and a press conference a few years later where you talk about how young you are.

They should rate the quality and amount of time and money invested in players that leave before rating transfers in. If you spend $3 million in NIL and $200,000 a year in scholarships, food, travel and facilities for him to leave his senior year to go and try to play QB for a playoff team and likely fail at that attempt, then what have you or him gotten out of the deal other than another recruit with two or three years remaining that didn’t work out at a school you are trying to beat.
I’m not sure why a school would take transfers which don’t fill immediate needs. In turn, transfers won’t likely come to teams where immediate playing time isn’t available. You’re taking a kid who another school has their invested time and money into his development. As you pointed out the opposite is true for transfers out. Suppose schools aim for a net “gain” in the transfer market in regards to numbers and talent.

I’m not a fan of either NIL or mass transfers. I believe it primarily penalizes the smaller conference schools which risk being nothing more than a farm system for the wealthy programs. Unfortunately it’s the world in which we now live.

I’m not sure why a school would take transfers which don’t fill immediate needs. In turn, transfers won’t likely come to teams where immediate playing time isn’t available. You’re taking a kid who another school has their invested time and money into his development. As you pointed out the opposite is true for transfers out. Suppose schools aim for a net “gain” in the transfer market in regards to numbers and talent.

I’m not a fan of either NIL or mass transfers. I believe it primarily penalizes the smaller conference schools which risk being nothing more than a farm system for the wealthy programs. Unfortunately it’s the world in which we now live.
Wonder if the P5s can write their LOIs a little differently and guarantee scholarships and NIL for 4 yrs/5 if redshirt is used, and that if the player chooses to transfer out early to another school, they need to repay the entire amount of scholarship used plus any NIL money negotiated on behalf of the school. Sounds like a contract huh? Well, with private schools likely to be forced to treat athletes like employees, then those school should be able to have athletes sign a contract with an early release clause/buyout.

Wonder if the P5s can write their LOIs a little differently and guarantee scholarships and NIL for 4 yrs/5 if redshirt is used, and that if the player chooses to transfer out early to another school, they need to repay the entire amount of scholarship used plus any NIL money negotiated on behalf of the school. Sounds like a contract huh? Well, with private schools likely to be forced to treat athletes like employees, then those school should be able to have athletes sign a contract with an early release clause/buyout.
Since the NILs legally operate outside of the colleges I don’t see anyway the schools can dictate any play requirements related to that money. The NIL providers could spread the payments out over time and have a termination clause should the player leave the school. Yes, I do realize the schools are the actual party with the NILs but none are set up that way. Convenient huh?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Even if they could set it up that way, fat chance there is much money left over for the student to buy himself out. So school 'supporters' are going to have to determine if it's worth it to buy the player out of his contract, and then pay him on top of that? That would be ridiculous, but funny. The players become treated like HC's

Last edited:
Since the NILs legally operate outside of the colleges I don’t see anyway the schools can dictate any play requirements related to that money.
this needs to be changed by the NCAA, and if they don’t have the spine to do it, then the courts should review and change it.

The problem will be solved by the NFL. But it will take awhile. Some of these kids are making substantially more than NFL players with 0-2 seasons of experience. Upward wage pressure will not be tolerated by them, trust me.

Calipari did get upset recently when he felt that Kentucky was allocating too much funding to the football program.

His “Basketball School” comment didn’t sit too well with Stoops, especially since the football team had outperformed basketball for the past few years and were drawing considerably more fans.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We will see. Zero AAC teams would have qualified for the expanded CFP over the last ten years. Seven Big12 teams (spots) would have qualified over the past three years alone. I know….pesky facts :)
LOL are you counting Cincy and UCF?

That's funny if true.

GO TU!!!!

LOL are you counting Cincy and UCF?

That's funny if true.

GO TU!!!!
Why wouldn’t I count them looking forward? Why would I count OU and Texas…which I didn’t ? Shouldn’t any projection of the AAC include its new teams? I’m I little confused by your “lol”. I didn’t give anyone credit for an auto bid btw only a top 12 ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT