ADVERTISEMENT

TK Wilkerson

TulsaFan2000

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 6, 2019

Looks like TK just got a DUI. That’s 2 DUI’s in the last 6 months by Tulsa players. Just more evidence of Montgomery’s inability to discipline his players as we saw with the fight last night.

Looks like TK just got a DUI. That’s 2 DUI’s in the last 6 months by Tulsa players. Just more evidence of Montgomery’s inability to discipline his players as we saw with the fight last night.
You are so right, TU coaches need to chaperone their players 24/7 365 days a year, just
like your parents did for you. I believe I saw Rick Leach in the stands getting his picture
taken while his thugs were in mass on the TU sideline . Lincoln Riley should have been
fired for not babysitting Baker Mayfield in Fayetteville .

Time for TU to bring back Dr Phil to talk with our team about their attitudes

You are so right, TU coaches need to chaperone their players 24/7 365 days a year, just
like your parents did for you. I believe I saw Rick Leach in the stands getting his picture
taken while his thugs were in mass on the TU sideline . Lincoln Riley should have been
fired for not babysitting Baker Mayfield in Fayetteville .

Well if these were stand alone issues certainly we could just chalk it up to kids learning lessons while making bad decisions.

Considering he doesn't win, his only saving grace to stay employed is that his hall monitor skills are top notch. We are producing strong students who reflect well on our community and act appropriately in it.

Does that seem to be happening? Or are we noticing a pattern emerging that was seen at previous Monty stops and now at Tulsa?

He should have consequences but let us not write off TK.
This isn’t OU under Switzer in 1987 where anything goes nor Miami Hurricanes
with Jimmy Johnson in camo gear . TU plays hard nosed football but they are
not punks . In football, you learn not to start anything that will hurt the team,
but you don’t take anything from anybody . What was Miss. State doing on
Tulsa’s sideline after the game ? Doesn’t look like they were passing out hardy
handshakes and a laurel wreath ,but passing out insults and intimidation.

Reactions: LMGRA
That's three within the last couple of years. Cade Baumann had one before he got to campus, iirc.

Lumpuckeroo, it seems you are mixing the issues together.

The Dui is a separate issue from the fight.

This isn’t OU under Switzer in 1987 where anything goes nor Miami Hurricanes
with Jimmy Johnson in camo gear . TU plays hard nosed football but they are
not punks . In football, you learn not to start anything that will hurt the team,
but you don’t take anything from anybody . What was Miss. State doing on
Tulsa’s sideline after the game ? Doesn’t look like they were passing out hardy
handshakes and a laurel wreath ,but passing out insults and intimidation.

How many unsportsmanlike does one of the most penalized programs for the last six years have again?

TK made a poor decision. He will have consequences for it. It’s not something that should be met with dismissal from the team. Burns had a player who drove drunk, wrecked a student’s car, didn’t have insurance and his parents made a claim that he drove their car without permission. Burns kept it out of the public eye. The student had to wait until he made an NFL roster before she could take him to court and get the amount to repair her vehicle out of him. All because Burns ,ace sure it never made an arrest record or an official incident.

People make dumb choices. You do remember that Shea Seals was arrested on a DUI some years ago right? People can do right by the 2nd chances they are given

That's three within the last couple of years. Cade Baumann had one before he got to campus, iirc.

Lumpuckeroo, it seems you are mixing the issues together.

The Dui is a separate issue from the fight.
Baumann was on the team at the time, but at home when he got the DUI. He was held out of spring practice and I think was suspended a game or two. I forget.

The DUIs and the fight aren’t related at all, except for the person responsible for the discipline.

A certain percentage of college kids are gonna get DUIs and the percentage of athletes, including TU athletes, that get them is less than the student body at large. DUI is a dangerous crime that threatens the lives of everyone in the community. But as crime goes, it’s low on the list and an individual decision. It won’t get you kicked out of school, so it shouldn’t get you kicked off the team, unless that’s a team rule.

A bench clearing brawl that attracts national attention and shapes the public’s perception of the reputation of your football program and school for the next ten years or more is a much much bigger deal than a first time DUI without serious bodily injury or death.

Let’s hope TK wasnt DUI because he was self medicating pain or injury. If so, he needs help, whether he knows it or not.

Young people make bad decisions. TK is not the first nor will he be the last young person to make a foolish mistake. DUI is very serious and thankfully no one was hurt. Let’s hope he learns from this and moves on. This should not affect his student athlete status nor should it define him.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Though I might not have known it at the time, in retrospect only luck may have kept me from the same fate around 30 years ago. Won't cast any stones.

Reactions: sosodefcane
Everyone makes mistakes , however there are consequences for your actions. A DUI is not anything small, you can kill somebody or yourself . Definitely needs to be severely punished so he doesn’t ever do it again. There are a lot of things that are causing people to have mental health issues so he may need help after he is punished

Everyone makes mistakes , however there are consequences for your actions. A DUI is not anything small, you can kill somebody or yourself . Definitely needs to be severely punished so he doesn’t ever do it again. There are a lot of things that are causing people to have mental health issues so he may need help after he is punished
You must be a sheltered helicopter kid, no insult intended. Just a comment.

Reactions: sonofbird
You must be a sheltered helicopter kid, no insult intended. Just a comment.
Because I think you should be punished for a DUI? I have lost friends to DUIs and as well as people to suicide , and a lot of that started with drinking , so it has a special place in my heart when I see something like that starting to happen again

Because I think you should be punished for a DUI? I have lost friends to DUIs and as well as people to suicide , and a lot of that started with drinking , so it has a special place in my heart when I see something like that starting to happen again
Was a general comment on your opinion of the fight/dui.

But it was really a comment on your thinking TK might need counseling after whatever punishment is meted out by the law and the team.

It is a mistake that most young men who make that mistake, just have to take stock of what they did, and look for ways to correct that behavior.

I've made that mistake before, and I didn't need counseling. A number of my friends, associates, and relatives have made that mistake and they didn't need counseling. Maybe it's different if you are sheltered by a helicopter parent throughout most of your childhood.

Was a general comment on your opinion of the fight/dui.

But it was really a comment on your thinking TK might need counseling after whatever punishment is meted out by the law and the team.

It is a mistake that most young men who make that mistake, just have to take stock of what they did, and look for ways to correct that behavior.

I've made that mistake before, and I didn't need counseling. A number of my friends, associates, and relatives have made that mistake and they didn't need counseling. Maybe it's different if you are sheltered by a helicopter parent throughout most of your childhood.
Wasn’t helicopter parenting , just seen it ruin many of my friends lives ( DUI) and a lot of it came from problems they had in life. Iv lost 2 friends to suicide this year. You are right though as far as some people just made a mistake and don’t need counseling, some just made a bad choice . It just pulls at me a little different because of the situations I have seen come from it

I’m not much of a drinker but when I was in college (when dinosaurs walked the earth) I went to a party and drank some scotch. I thought I was fine until I got to the dorm and my front wheels jumped the curb. If I had been stopped I would probably have had a dui.

Reactions: drboobay
I’m not much of a drinker but when I was in college (when dinosaurs walked the earth) I went to a party and drank some scotch. I thought I was fine until I got to the dorm and my front wheels jumped the curb. If I had been stopped I would probably have had a dui.
Right, that is the kind of thing I was referring to. Nothing to be proud of, but it is important to be honest with ourselves. Frankly I think it was worse 30 or 40 years ago - young people today are generally more responsible.

Truth is many young people today do not drive. There is no rush to the DMV when turning 16 anymore. I have been tasked for the last two years researching barriers to poverty and not having access to driving has been identified as one. However as times have changed with ride sharing operations sky rocketing less and less young people find driving a priority and it’s much cheaper to call a ride sharing service that to pay for an automobile, it’s upkeep, and insurance. This is true in more urban areas however it is a national trend that has caused concern in the auto industry as well.
As I have read more about the situation of TK’s arrest there are a few troubling details. Allegedly the car was missing a tire and he was missing pants. DUI is very dangerous and potentially deadly. Thank god there was no one hurt during this incident. Additionally if it is revealed that the young man needs help let’s hope that he receives all that he needs to emerge from this better off than he was before.

My nephews grew up before Uber. Neither got a drivers license until after college. It was all about control by their parents, who wanted to control movement, determine departure times, minimize expense, etc. Both boys eventually got their licenses in the last year. One is 26 years old. He got it so he could rent a car. The other saved ridiculous money not driving before that and got the DL so he could close the deal on a really nice classic Porsche he paid cash for. They grew up in an affluent suburban small town where Uber still isn’t available. He was all about the parents influence direct or indirect. The boys didn’t feel the need to acquire the independence of a drivers license.

No excuses here but college students may not be able to afford Uber. Responsible bars will pay for one if a customer is intoxicated.

No excuses here but college students may not be able to afford Uber. Responsible bars will pay for one if a customer is intoxicated.
They afforded the drinks. Likely 8 or more if he/she walks out intoxed like TK was. That's usually more than 50 bucks in an average tulsa bar.

TK is a young man who clearly made a very bad series of decisions that are going to yield serious consequences.

No mulligans in this type of situation, but plenty of opportunity to learn and grow as a man.

Good people do make poor decisions and mange to come out the other side better.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The biggest problem here to me is that this is a person who we were just lauding and sending warm wishes to for having a child, and that this is how he is conducting himself. I don't put this on Monty, or the program at large. This is the case of a single kid having his priorities in all the wrong places.

I think its more the timing of the offense and the light it (mostly people that arent fans) may shed on the program as a whole, than the actual offense itself. I agree he should be given he same chances our friends and family gave us when we made poor life choices, but this won't be just about TK im afraid.

Baumann was on the team at the time, but at home when he got the DUI. He was held out of spring practice and I think was suspended a game or two. I forget.

The DUIs and the fight aren’t related at all, except for the person responsible for the discipline.

A certain percentage of college kids are gonna get DUIs and the percentage of athletes, including TU athletes, that get them is less than the student body at large. DUI is a dangerous crime that threatens the lives of everyone in the community. But as crime goes, it’s low on the list and an individual decision. It won’t get you kicked out of school, so it shouldn’t get you kicked off the team, unless that’s a team rule.

A bench clearing brawl that attracts national attention and shapes the public’s perception of the reputation of your football program and school for the next ten years or more is a much much bigger deal than a first time DUI without serious bodily injury or death.

Let’s hope TK wasnt DUI because he was self medicating pain or injury. If so, he needs help, whether he knows it or not.

My State Representative has TWO DUI arrests... still there... no suspensions.

He was too hurt to play after being injured at Navy. It was New Years Eve. If he was medicated or self medicating, it’s entirely possible he didn’t know how the alcohol was effecting him. I’ve seen people have one drink after forgetting they were also taking newly prescribed medication and quickly become disoriented and grossly impaired beyond the level of intoxication you’d normally expect.

I’m not making excuses for him, but I will say it may be a complex situation much different from smoking weed all night long, drinking a half bottle of booze and trying to drive home. As most of you recall, I draw a pretty hard line on this stuff. While the timing is poor, he may have several mitigating factors that reduces his culpability, but does not excuse the behavior or merit enhanced punishment. There should still be severe consequences though. DUI ain’t cheap. As he will quickly find out as he tries to balance baby with fines and probation fees and increased insurance. I hope he’s able to stay in school. He’s got my prayers for now and I pray for all of us if he drives like that again.

Reactions: edm1077 and TU 1978
Young people make bad decisions. TK is not the first nor will he be the last young person to make a foolish mistake. DUI is very serious and thankfully no one was hurt. Let’s hope he learns from this and moves on. This should not affect his student athlete status nor should it define him.
Not excusing it, but how many people were arrested during the early AM hours of New Year’s Day for DUI? The Tulsa World only ran this story because it’s a name they recognized on the police blotter. Not downplaying the seriousness of the offense, but it’s crap journalism.

Does he drive a black Avalanche at 100+ mph on the turner tpk?... if so, ive encountered him.
Do you know how many politicians drive under the influence and face no consequences after being pulled over? I don't either because it never comes out until said politician is too stupid to hold his tongue when criticizing the DA and the police work done because they want someone to be guilty of something. It's like the number of GOP politicians preaching family values and Christianity all while they have the local corner hooker on speed dial or been doinking the nanny (pretty sure Stitt has had a babysitter encounter or two). All of it comes out in the dirty laundry eventually...

Pics or gtfo, Sincerely, barrister.
C'mon, you have to admit Stitt is the perfect GOP Poster Boy for the Do as I say not as I do crowd. He's like the former governor of MO who got forced out for his nanny shenanigans...except I'm not sure if that was with the au pair type of nanny or the goat type of nanny...it is Missouri after all.

As was mentioned above, the troubling thing is that he is a new dad. I hope this is the kick in the ass needed by him to grow up and realize there are people relying on him and that he has a responsibility to a small human now. Kids make mistakes and thank God he didn't get injured or injure anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT