ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Republican Party

Did you try just… asking?
Seeing she’s changed her preferred pronouns twice since January, I call her by her name and use her biological appropriate pronouns when speaking to third parties rather than play the “guess my pronoun today” game.

Not sure I'll ever understand the mindset of choosing to rant about biology and how hard it is to remember pronouns rather than just treating people with respect and not acting like you despise their existence.

Not sure I'll ever understand the mindset of choosing to rant about biology and how hard it is to remember pronouns rather than just treating people with respect and not acting like you despise their existence.
It’s difficult to remember someone’s pronouns of choice when that choice is constantly changing. Which is why I refer to her by her name when speaking to her. Is that not the proper way to handle a situation like this where the individual is constantly changing her preferred pronouns ? Furthermore, shouldn’t the biological pronoun be the standard reference when one isn’t able to ascertain the current preferred pronoun?

and not acting like you despise their existence.
Not sure where you got that. I didn't get that from Lawpoke's words. The only possible thing someone could read into it is that he is slightly irritated/amused that some people want him to play a guessing game at the changing whim's of a child. He's trying to make sense out of something that makes no sense. It is relying on the hormones of a youth, which are often irrational. He is being asked to be nimble in remembering which pronouns to use in a fluctuating situation. And he is trying to handle it the with some rationality.

On the general situation:

The problem with the handling of this situation is that it is ingrained in your subconscious memory how to refer to someone. That's an element of linguistics. Now you are asking to change the rules, per individual, in how they are referred to. And that is in a state of change with this youth.

If he did try to use the proper pronoun, just when he stopped fumbling with it as much, and generally got it correct, the person changes it. So he starts over again with this individual. So he analyzes it rationally, and comes up with a solution that he feels treats the person with respect. But he is faced with possibly having to justify his actions, like he just did with you.

is it "we the people", them the people, us the people, youall the people, .all youall the people, yous guys the people. . . .

On my list of priorities that issue is so far down it's hard to find. That faith in our national elections may vanish
Does this vanishing faith in national election include the money that the DNC is spending to attempt to gain primary wins for right wing fringe Trump supporters?

In multiple primaries around the country the House Majority and Senate Majority PACs (read DNC funded PACs) have spent millions in ad buys to promote election deniers and uber MAGAs over moderate Republicans in order to secure weaker opponents for the Dem candidate in the general election.

I know its not as sexy as Russian Collusion, but if the the same tactic was used in 2016 to fund ad buys for Trump in the primaries it backfired on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clong83a
Does this vanishing faith in national election include the money that the DNC is spending to attempt to gain primary wins for right wing fringe Trump supporters?

In multiple primaries around the country the House Majority and Senate Majority PACs (read DNC funded PACs) have spent millions in ad buys to promote election deniers and uber MAGAs over moderate Republicans in order to secure weaker opponents for the Dem candidate in the general election.

I know its not as sexy as Russian Collusion, but if the the same tactic was used in 2016 to fund ad buys for Trump in the primaries it backfired on them.

Dude in Michigan who narrowly beat Meijer had more money in add spending by Dems than he raised in his entire primary campaign. I don’t think they can legitimately cry “threat to democracy” while they spend to defeat Rs that voted for impeachment for Jan 6. It’s going to backfire in more ways than 1, no doubt

Last edited:
Dude in Michigan who narrowly beat Meijer had more money in add spending by Dems than he raised in his entire primary campaign. I don’t think they can legitimately cry “threat to democracy” while they spend to defeat Rs that voted for impeachment for Jan 6. It’s going to backfire in more ways than 1, no doubt
It is bad but different.

Encouraging a violent mob is another matter as is simply failing to accept a legal result for over year.

political ads as they exist, offer no insight as to who is the better candidate. either ban them all or for each 60sec ad split the time 45 sec for the candidate, and 15 sec fot rrbuttal.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
political ads as they exist, offer no insight as to who is the better candidate. either ban them all or for each 60sec ad split the time 45 sec for the candidate, and 15 sec fot rrbuttal.
We used to have the fairness doctrine back in the 70s.

Then they tried election funding reform that got overturned. So it would take a constitutional amendment now I presume.

An old article from Politico talks about how the HRC campaign sought to undermine Repub candidates and withheld info on Trump in order to face him in the general..

"Trump’s shift into the pole position that July after attacking John McCain by declaring, “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Eleven days after those comments about McCain, Clinton aides sought to push the plan even further: An agenda item for top aides’ message planning meeting read, “How do we prevent Bush from bettering himself/how do we maximize Trump and others?""

They always wanted Trump..

An old article from Politico talks about how the HRC campaign sought to undermine Repub candidates and withheld info on Trump in order to face him in the general..

"Trump’s shift into the pole position that July after attacking John McCain by declaring, “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Eleven days after those comments about McCain, Clinton aides sought to push the plan even further: An agenda item for top aides’ message planning meeting read, “How do we prevent Bush from bettering himself/how do we maximize Trump and others?""

They always wanted Trump..
Because they thought he would be easy to beat.

The results of the primaries show that The Donald has won out and now owns the Republican Party. It is basically an autocracy that will believe whatever he claims and act on it. Or as one Trump advisor commented on Liz Cheney’s loss:

“She may have been fighting for principles,” said Taylor Budowich, a spokesman and adviser to Mr. Trump. “But they are not the principles of the Republican Party.”

The results of the primaries show that The Donald has won out and now owns the Republican Party. It is basically an autocracy that will believe whatever he claims and act on it. Or as one Trump advisor commented on Liz Cheney’s loss:

“She may have been fighting for principles,” said Taylor Budowich, a spokesman and adviser to Mr. Trump. “But they are not the principles of the Republican Party.”
I saw a very revealing stat that 24 years ago the Republicans had a higher proportion of college educated registrants than Democrats by about 7 points.

Now the Democrats have around a 17 point in their favor. Educated professionals are now increasingly Democrats.

This helps me understand the Trump phenomenon.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TU 1978 and watu05

Liz Cheney latest approval rating was near 30%. I could have beaten her in the primary :).

At least not the principles the republican politicians will admit to believing in. Republican officials are holding to the principles that will get them elected.

Education is just a proxy for culture/class. Culture is what explains the difference. Lawpoke has a doctorate but he is still probably closer culturally in some ways to the people of Sapulpa than to the people in his law school class. I have a graduate degree and work at a wokest of the woke company, but I'm more culturally similar to Bristow, OK and Queens, NY than to almost anyone that I work with.

Education is just a proxy for culture/class. Culture is what explains the difference. Lawpoke has a doctorate but he is still probably closer culturally in some ways to the people of Sapulpa than to the people in his law school class. I have a graduate degree and work at a wokest of the woke company, but I'm more culturally similar to Bristow, OK and Queens, NY than to almost anyone that I work with.
Bristow! That's the ancestral homeland for me. That and Mount Lebanon, Ottoman Empire. Go down to the historical museum in the Bristow train station and you will see my great uncle mentioned often!

Anyway I was not arguing that education level was causal to the disparities, just that it shed light on the dynamic.

Ironically my wife and I were having a very similar conversation this weekend. Over the last several years I’ve been fortunate enough to enter into various business deals with some of the “elite” of Tulsa. Last names everyone on this board would immediately recognize. I go to partner meetings. I attend luncheons. I partake in high brow fundraisers. Everyone is very cordial. However, I will never be part of that “club”….and that’s fine. Don’t really fit into or feel extremely comfortable in that “club”. Just a guy from Sapulpa at the end of the day.

As far as politics, mine are determined by some degree by how I make a living. If I worked for government I would be more liberal. If I were an employee I would likely be more liberal. If I were dependent on the government or my paycheck or funding I would be more liberal.

There are obviously multiple other factors which determine our political leanings.

Bristow! That's the ancestral homeland for me. That and Mount Lebanon, Ottoman Empire. Go down to the historical museum in the Bristow train station and you will see my great uncle mentioned often!

Anyway I was not arguing that education level was causal to the disparities, just that it shed light on the dynamic.

I’ll be up in Tulsa in two weeks so I’ll have to check that out. Up until a couple years ago my dad was responsible for the art work on the football stadium sign and his best friend’s claim to fame as quarterback of the Purple Pirates was beating Henryetta Hens QB Troy Aikman

I’ll be up in Tulsa in two weeks so I’ll have to check that out. Up until a couple years ago my dad was responsible for the art work on the football stadium sign and his best friend’s claim to fame as quarterback of the Purple Pirates was beating Henryetta Hens QB Troy Aikman
There is actually a menu in there from when my great uncle and his wife hosted some visiting dignitaries from the 1920s I think.

Ironically my wife and I were having a very similar conversation this weekend. Over the last several years I’ve been fortunate enough to enter into various business deals with some of the “elite” of Tulsa. Last names everyone on this board would immediately recognize. I go to partner meetings. I attend luncheons. I partake in high brow fundraisers. Everyone is very cordial. However, I will never be part of that “club”….and that’s fine. Don’t really fit into or feel extremely comfortable in that “club”. Just a guy from Sapulpa at the end of the day.

As far as politics, mine are determined by some degree by how I make a living. If I worked for government I would be more liberal. If I were an employee I would likely be more liberal. If I were dependent on the government or my paycheck or funding I would be more liberal.

There are obviously multiple other factors which determine our political leanings.
I think my scientific training has had some impact on how much I treasure political independence. Or maybe my Spock robot brain caused both. Or perhaps I have no idea and am making up explanations.

One of those options.

Ironically, I feel a bit the opposite. I wasn't well off growing up, but my family historically had been pretty successful. My great grandparents, grandparents, uncles, etc... typically gravitated towards white collar rather than blue and despite not having much money, I was raised to act with some class.

Now, having been raised in Tulsa and Broken Arrow I certainly ran into my share of country kids... and I can get along with almost anyone, but I feel more at ease at a formal or business dinner than at a backyard bbq.

I've always looked at things like I was trying to work my way back out of a hole that a single generation of my family was cast into (admittedly due to bad decisions combined with bad luck), and then to start building a ladder to work my way even higher.

I would have been the first person in my immediate family NOT to have gone to college besides my grandmother who was more than smart enough, but was expected to be a homemaker at that time.

Last edited:
Ironically, I feel a bit the opposite. I wasn't well off growing up, but my family historically had been pretty successful. My great grandparents, grandparents, uncles, etc... typically gravitated towards white collar rather than blue and despite not having much money, I was raised to act with some class.

Now, having been raised in Tulsa and Broken Arrow I certainly ran into my share of country kids... and I can get along with almost anyone, but I feel more at ease at a formal or business dinner than at a backyard bbq.

I've always looked at things like I was trying to work my way back out of a hole that a single generation of my family was cast into (admittedly due to bad decisions combined with bad luck), and then to start building a ladder to work my way even higher.

I would have been the first person in my immediate family NOT to have gone to college besides my grandmother who was more than smart enough, but was expected to be a homemaker at that time.
I was the first person in my immediate family to go to college. Grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles…none went to college. My father experienced career advancement limitations of not having a college degree. From that experience he preached the importance of attending college. I still had to work my way through school but my parents certainly gave my sister and I the expectation.

I was the first person in my immediate family to go to college. Grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles…none went to college. My father experienced career advancement limitations of not having a college degree. From that experience he preached the importance of attending college. I still had to work my way through school but my parents certainly gave my sister and I the expectation.
My dad had an interesting upbringing moving back and forth to the US. He got a 2 year University certificate because he and his long widowed mom could afford no more. I am the first to get a 4 year degree in my line and of course went on to the grad degrees too.

Not sure how that history affects my political outlook. But there is a long history of running small businesses in the family which is probably why I was a default Republican for so long.

Reactions: lawpoke87
An update; This is the Republican Party.

Ignore the multiple documents sitting on an ugly Florida carpet blaring the words “Secret“ and ”Top Secret” and focus on the time magazine article that’s being stored next to said sensitive documents like they were Macorini art that your mother saved from Kindergarten. Extremely secure.

If Trump declassified said documents why were they not available to the public And instead being stored in his sleazy resort.

Someone at the DOJ or FBI took of pic of classified docs and released the same to the press?

Redacted,
Someone at the DOJ or FBI took of pic of classified docs and released the same to the press?
It was a redacted version included in one of the legal filings that Trump is dragging out. Even Trump argued they were declassified, so why are they being redacted? Hahaha

It was cover pages designed for those documents to be inadvertently seen on the desk of someone with classified clearance by those without classified clearance. I don't see the problem.

It was cover pages designed for those documents to be inadvertently seen on the desk of someone with classified clearance by those without classified clearance. I don't see the problem.
Curious part of me wants to know the subject matter of the docs and not just a pic of a cover sheet :).

Curious part of me wants to know the subject matter of the docs and not just a pic of a cover sheet :).
I'm assuming you are asking where is the ai holographic pics that only allow you to see pages 2, 3-...

You'll never blab.

I'm assuming you are asking where is the ai holographic pics that only allow you to see pages 2, 3-...

You'll never blab.
More curious as to the subject matter which made Trump want to take and keep these documents. Surely I’m not the only one who wonders what is in these docs that Trump felt compelled to take and keep.

More curious as to the subject matter which made Trump want to take and keep these documents. Surely I’m not the only one who wonders what is in these docs that Trump felt compelled to take and keep.
That last post was only for humor's sake. Of course we all want to know. But I want to know later on in the investigation, because to know now would hinder that investigation. If I was allowed to make that call, my curiosity is not enough to put the info out now. I won't let my curiosity affect finding out if there is anyone worth being charged and/or convicted for any offenses.

It would not surprise if he simply thought they were cool to have and it made him feel important.

It would not surprise if he simply thought they were cool to have and it made him feel important.
Or so he could show his friends. They were in a bunch of memorabilia after all. What’s the prime reason that people keep Memorabilia? It’s so they can show it off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT