ADVERTISEMENT

This comment causes some concern

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
“ I am excited to watch our group grow over these first 13 games of the season as we prepare for the challenges of American Athletic Conference play.”

“Growing” won’t cut it if we are to make the NCAA. We have to be ready on game 1 instead of “growing” by losing a bunch of early games and getting better late in the year. We have tried that growing pattern and watch the selections from home.

I agree, but consider who we're counting on for significant contributions:

Horne: Last played a D1 game on March 8th, 2017
Moore: Last participated in a D1 practice in March 2017
Barnes: Last played more than 10 minutes in a competitive game on December 3rd, 2016

Joiner/Jeffries/Scott: Recovering from significant injuries

I've criticized the schedule in other threads, but the reality is that this roster needs time to grow. I don't think it's an excuse, it's just the reality of the situation that Haith and his staff have created.

I agree, but consider who we're counting on for significant contributions:

Horne: Last played a D1 game on March 8th, 2017
Moore: Last participated in a D1 practice in March 2017
Barnes: Last played more than 10 minutes in a competitive game on December 3rd, 2016

Joiner/Jeffries/Scott: Recovering from significant injuries

I've criticized the schedule in other threads, but the reality is that this roster needs time to grow. I don't think it's an excuse, it's just the reality of the situation that Haith and his staff have created.
I very much agree that this team will need some time together in game situations to grow. It is my hope however, that the individual talent level of these players will offset some of the potential bumps in the road that putting what is essentially a rebuilt squad on the court often brings. Those first couple of body bag games should help if their approached with intensity. After that it gets tough in a hurry and the schedule in the American doesn’t let up. This may be his most talented squad, but this may be the squad that needs him to draw his best work to be successful at a level which matches their potential and the fan bases expectation.

I very much agree that this team will need some time together in game situations to grow. It is my hope however, that the individual talent level of these players will offset some of the potential bumps in the road that putting what is essentially a rebuilt squad on the court often brings. Those first couple of body bag games should help if their approached with intensity.

The interest of the casual TU BB fans was smothered by early
season losses to those "body bag' type opponents for the last
two seasons, and I think it carried through most of the home
season......The substitution patterns, and some of the folks that
actually got playing time, made little sense then, and still doesn't..

I hope Haith restricts his rotation, and it's use, to trying to win
those early games, instead of using them for scrimmages....His
preparation of the team for the conference schedule is commendable,
but not at the total expense of the early OOC games.....

Reactions: bluegold70 and I.I.
The interest of the casual TU BB fans was smothered by early
season losses to those "body bag' type opponents for the last
two seasons, and I think it carried through most of the home
season......The substitution patterns, and some of the folks that
actually got playing time, made little sense then, and still doesn't..

I hope Haith restricts his rotation, and it's use, to trying to win
those early games, instead of using them for scrimmages....His
preparation of the team for the conference schedule is commendable,
but not at the total expense of the early OOC games.....
You state much better what I implied regarding the approach to those games. The same old, same old will cost us a game or two early, and that isn't going to cut it if this team is going to make a run for a tourney bid. We're going to need every game we're supposed to win and a were not favored in.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
That might be true (we need to grow), but I'm not sure we have that luxury. Our first 13 games are essential if we want to make the tournament:

There are probably 6 we cannot lose (likely sub 250 RPI), 3 that won't hurt us too bad if we do (top 50 RPI), and 4 that we probably need to win unless we steal a better win somewhere else. If we get into conference play at 10-3 but no top 50 wins, we probably can't be an "also ran" in the AAC and get in. If we land another #4 finish in conference winning and losing like the #4 team in the conference, we are probably where we were last year. We'd probably need a win or two in the conference tournament to have a chance, unless the AAC impresses more this year than it is expected to.

Cinci will be strong. Wichita State is always going to field a solid team. Houston, Temple, and UCF have been consistent. Memphis is a huge unknown at this point. So many unknowns. We probably won't know much until early December (unless its bad news). God willing, we run through the early games and find something out against Nevada or Utah.

Please, PLEASE don't treat the first 4 games as exhibitions that don't matter. Adjustments, gelling, and perfecting the lineup - sure. But we have to go out and show that Alcorn State and YALR are not our peers - they are the team we schedule for a warm up to the season (and if not, then, well...). We can't afford growth if it comes with a bad loss.

It would be nice to get the game in hand against sub 200 RPI teams using returning players (that includes Horne) and then blend a couple of newcomers at a time in the system. That substitution of a new player every thirty seconds against Lamar last year gave us no ability to get confidence as a unit on the floor.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It would be nice to get the game in hand against sub 200 RPI teams using returning players (that includes Horne) and then blend a couple of newcomers at a time in the system. That substitution of a new player every thirty seconds against Lamar last year gave us no ability to get confidence as a unit on the floor.
My goal if I'm Haith? Be able to leave a 5 man squad in for an entire half without feeling like we'll lose so much momentum that I have to sub.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
When we play Nevada expect them to keep their starters on the floor for the first 10 minutes unless it gets out of hand.

Cinci will be strong. Wichita State is always going to field a solid team. Houston, Temple, and UCF have been consistent.

Don’t forget about UCONN, they hired an EXCELLENT coach to replace Ollie, and still have quite a bit of talent.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Sir you must be mistaken. They have to tell recruits they'll travel to Tulsa and therefore only have the ability to recruit 11 clones of Kyle Blankenship

Doh! Totally forgot they’re unable to escape the 150+ range with being in a “real conference”. Poor UCONN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT