ADVERTISEMENT

The Unvaccinated...not who you think

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
If you are interested in excellent thought and coverage of the pandemic, follow Zeynep Tufecki at the NYTimes. Her recent piece (below) points out that a major predictor of being vaccinated is having health insurance. Huge groups don't have health coverage nor do they have a primary care physician, so they don't have the 'trusted physician" that much of the messaging urges people to see. Instead they get mixed messages from the environment and end up being hesitant more than ideologically opposed..

Gov Mandates:

Covid, get the shot or get harassed and lose your job.

ACA, you must buy your HI. oh well here it is free.

i dont understand.

If you are interested in excellent thought and coverage of the pandemic, follow Zeynep Tufecki at the NYTimes. Her recent piece (below) points out that a major predictor of being vaccinated is having health insurance. Huge groups don't have health coverage nor do they have a primary care physician, so they don't have the 'trusted physician" that much of the messaging urges people to see. Instead they get mixed messages from the environment and end up being hesitant more than ideologically opposed..

Uh, the shots are free.

the unvaced should be required to wear a symbol on their clothes so the vaced will know who they are.

One thing I find very confusing is the opposition in some conservative sectors to allowing private employers to mandate masks or vaccines as a condition of employment. It seems antithetical to free market principles and an imposition of government control over nongovernmental organizations.

I know this comment is sideways from the proposed topic of the thread but it has confused me for a while. Conservatives in the past would say "if you don't like it get another job."

As I private employer I view vaccine mandates as a slippery slope. Covid vaccines (if we’re still labeling them as vaccines) aren’t significantly preventing spread but are mainly therapeutic. Further, do employers also mandate boosters? What about flu shots? Do we not hire smokers? Do we not hire the obese?

Finally, while drug companies have complete immunity against vaccine side effects as well as unknown long term damage, does that immunity transfer to employers who require vaccines as a mandate for employment? If a force an employee to get vaccinated to continue to be employed for me and he has an adverse reaction to the vaccine resulting in permanent damage or death can he hold me responsible?

Help me out here. On one thread you blame political leaders and public health officials for not stopping the virus and here you oppose the very acts that contribute to stopping it spread. Which is it?

Help me out here. On one thread you blame political leaders and public health officials for not stopping the virus and here you oppose the very acts that contribute to stopping it spread. Which is it?
Which acts are you speaking of? Europe is setting records for new cases with 75-80% vaccinated and mask mandates across the board. The acts the Biden Admin are pushing aren’t going to work. See Europe. Come back to this thread next week if I’m wrong. The fact is two years into this thing WITH a vaccine we’re about to see record numbers of new cases. That’s on our leadership…period. Did that help?

Which acts are you speaking of? Europe is setting records for new cases with 75-80% vaccinated and mask mandates across the board. The acts the Biden Admin are pushing aren’t going to work. See Europe. Come back to this thread next week if I’m wrong. The fact is two years into this thing WITH a vaccine we’re about to see record numbers of new cases. That’s on our leadership…period. Did that help?
How many of those had a booster? The scientists have already stated that those without the vaccine and those who haven’t had the booster are likely to be at risk.

WATU. I apologize. Looks like the White House now has a on point message with 500k new cases a day on the horizon.

"If a force an employee to get vaccinated to continue to be employed for me and he has an adverse reaction to the vaccine resulting in permanent damage or death can he hold me responsible?"

I'm actually curious to hear the answer. I got my shot and my armpit blew up like a balloon. It's been over 8 months and the swelling still hasn't gone down 100%. Luckily, its no longer painful...just curious at the answer to this.

How many of those had a booster? The scientists have already stated that those without the vaccine and those who haven’t had the booster are likely to be at risk.
I assume about the same number as in the US. The failure of public health officials and Admin in the US and Europe to get its citizens “boostered” in mass appears to be a serious issue regarding spread. Still believe deaths will be relatively low due to this being a milder strain. We are not currently seeing any measures here in the US to stop or even significantly slow the spread of Omicron. That’s on our leadership and scientific community. They never did figure out anything which really worked.

Two years into this pandemic and we’re about to set case number records. Think about that

Remember when the “experts” claimed we could stop the spread if we had more testing 😂😂

Last edited:
I assume about the same number as in the US. The failure of public health officials and Admin in the US and Europe to get its citizens “boostered” in mass appears to be a serious issue regarding spread. Still believe deaths will be relatively low due to this being a milder strain. We are not currently seeing any measures here in the US to stop or even significantly slow the spread of Omicron. That’s on our leadership and scientific community. They never did figure out anything which really worked.

Two years into this pandemic and we’re about to set case number records. Think about that

Remember when the “experts” claimed we could stop the spread if we had more testing 😂😂
Honestly, we still really don't have more testing.

Our kids can't go to school without proof of MMR shots, kids can't go away to college without shots, and it used to be before we eradicated those diseases that cholera, yellow fever and the like were required to travel outside the country. We are facing a scourge that has killed 800,000 Americans in 2 years and isn't finished yet. And instead of pulling together as country to fight this off by wearing a mask or getting an FDA approved shot or some other minor inconvenience, we start blaming public health and political leaders for the results of this intransigence. Has the concept of societal duty or national service evaporated?

Reactions: drboobay
Our kids can't go to school without proof of MMR shots, kids can't go away to college without shots, and it used to be before we eradicated those diseases that cholera, yellow fever and the like were required to travel outside the country. We are facing a scourge that has killed 800,000 Americans in 2 years and isn't finished yet. And instead of pulling together as country to fight this off by wearing a mask or getting an FDA approved shot or some other minor inconvenience, we start blaming public health and political leaders for the results of this intransigence. Has the concept of societal duty or national service evaporated?
This 1000%

Don’t you dare blame this on lack of public or national service. The UK has 80% vaccination rate and mask mandates. They are also breaking case records. The same will happen in the US. This is a failure on leadership in figuring out how to stop of even slow this thing down. If this unprecedented spread was unique to the US then WATU might have a point. It’s not and he is dead wrong.

Don’t you dare blame this on lack of public or national service. The UK has 80% vaccination rate and mask mandates. They are also breaking case records. The same will happen in the US. This is a failure on leadership in figuring out how to stop of even slow this thing down. If this unprecedented spread was unique to the US then WATU might have a point. It’s not and he is dead wrong.
You keep bringing up their vaccination rate and ignoring the fact that 3 shots rather than two would have muted those numbers. The mutation just came at an inopportune time.

Reactions: watu05
You keep bringing up their vaccination rate and ignoring the fact that 3 shots rather than two would have muted those numbers. The mutation just came at an inopportune time.
Isn’t the lesson here that Europe and the US either didn’t get the booster out fast enough or have done a piss poor job in convincing those vaccinated to get the booster. Either way we are about to see record number of cases two years after the pandemic onset. Really no excuse for this. We’ve had two years to develop methods to slow or stop this thing. What we’re doing is failing miserably. That point cannot be argued. We are very fortunate this strain is less lethal than the prior too. The only thing saving us from record deaths.

Isn’t the lesson here that Europe and the US either didn’t get the booster out fast enough or have done a piss poor job in convincing those vaccinated to get the booster. Either way we are about to see record number of cases two years after the pandemic onset. Really no excuse for this. We’ve had two years to develop methods to slow or stop this thing. What we’re doing is failing miserably. That point cannot be argued. We are very fortunate this strain is less lethal than the prior too. The only thing saving us from record deaths.

It didn’t help matters that the former president disparaged science for a long time and downplayed the problem in the first place and offered ‘treatments’ that had no basis in science. He should be credited with encouraging quick approvals for using the vaccines, but MRNA technology has been around for years. Elements of it have been used in cancer treatment.

Regarding vaccination rates, there is a great disparity between vaccination rates in the US and Europe compared to Africa. The fact that there are many immunocompromised folks in Africa due to the prior issues with HIV made matters worse.
World map

Reactions: watu05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT