ADVERTISEMENT

The Supremes say you can't limit Church attendance

Uh, why does the Vatican get the final say?
They don’t get the final say. I am saying (iMHO) that The historical Knowledge/records held within the Vatican that is kept from us, if ever revealed, would fundamentally alter the way we view practicing religion.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
They don’t get the final say. I am saying (iMHO) that The historical Knowledge/records held within the Vatican that is kept from us, if ever revealed, would fundamentally alter the way we view practicing religion.
I see what you are saying. I am neutral as to whether that is factual.

If the Vatican ever released all of their documents, I think the general public would say it was a nothing burger. I have a friend who has spoken with research historians and bishops who have seen those documents. There are no big issues there. This friend was offered to change his area of study(by the vatican) over to the sciences because he was so brilliant, and they want their focus to be moved a little closer to the sciences.

Last edited:
If the Vatican ever released all of their documents, I think the general public would say it was a nothing burger. I have a friend who has spoken with research historians and bishops who have seen those documents. There are no big issues there. This friend was offered to change his area of study(by the vatican) over to the sciences because he was so brilliant, and they want their focus to be moved a little closer to the sciences.
It is refreshing to see a pope that's willing to embrace progress in the church.

Reactions: watu04
You post pseudoscience that ignores actual science and clearly make my point. They allow their faith to drive their search for answers rather than actual reason, logic, and scientific modeling. They look for answers that will agree with their religious pretext rather than actual observations regarding what is happening or what has happened. Hence, the man drowning. He ignores reality because he wants something that will match his pretext of faith.

Religious philosophers will point out any small item that is currently unexplained by science and say that it’s a divine intervention and then two hundred years later we will learn that it was actually the way that atoms interacted, or it was actually germs that were causing disease rather than the wrath of god. I’m not even saying that god doesn’t exist. Just that religion and science should be considered disparately because it is very unlikely that any of our scientific finding will prove the existence of god because they haven’t for 1000’s of years even though what was previously believed to be divine turned out not to be.

Space wasn’t divine. We figured out the relationships between the physics that govern celestial movement and interaction. The human body wasn’t divine. We figured out the relationships between the body’s various systems and its interaction with the outside world. Nature wasn’t divine. We figured out the processes that drive natural disasters, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc... those were all things that different societies believed were controlled by the gods. Even the formerly divine concept of ‘luck’, we have more or less explained with statistics and probability and more complex mathematics.
Your faith is stronger than mine.

The only real BIG question we have left is how these relationships came to be and why out of all the planets in all of the seemingly endless reaches of space that we are the only place we’ve observed carbon life. Someday we will probably find that out too.
Which came first, the heart, vessels, blood cells? If you see a sand castle, you think something intelligent made it. No amount of time will create a sand castle from water wind and sand. It's obvious. And we're way more complex than a sand castle. But you have your faith in materialism.

It is refreshing to see a pope that's willing to embrace progress in the church.
You assume. The Pope that wanted to move a little more towards the sciences was Pope John Paul. When this friend was offered scholarships towards the sciences, it was in the last couple of years of Pope John Paul's reign. Stop assuming because of your biases. You will lose that argument when betting against the most educated religious practice in the world. John Paul as a scholar, was far beyond Pope Francis.

You assume. The Pope that wanted to move a little more towards the sciences was Pope John Paul. When this friend was offered scholarships towards the sciences, it was in the last couple of years of Pope John Paul's reign. Stop assuming because of your biases. You will lose that argument when betting against the most educated religious practice in the world. John Paul as a scholar, was far beyond Pope Francis.
I liked John Paul as well, though I think his age hampered his ability to really see change in the church, as did the scandals that the church saw under him. Benedict was the guy I really had a distaste for.

I honestly like the Catholic Church as I think they show an appropriate amount of reverence during worship. I would just like to see them embrace the Jesuit wing of philosophy a bit more.

Reactions: watu04
I liked John Paul as well, though I think his age hampered his ability to really see change in the church, as did the scandals that the church saw under him. Benedict was the guy I really had a distaste for.

I honestly like the Catholic Church as I think they show an appropriate amount of reverence during worship. I would just like to see them embrace the Jesuit wing of philosophy a bit more.
I was keeping my opinion of Benedict open to change. Luckily my opinion was aided by his resignation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT