The Rona, public schools, private schools, and Epic

Discussion in 'Crossfire' started by lawpoke87, Jul 27, 2020.

1. lawpoke87

lawpoke87 I.T.S. Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Just watched a Bixby School Board meeting. What a cluster. I foresee a large influx of public school students into programs like Epic. Maybe time to start talking about public school funding ?

2. HuffyCane

HuffyCane I.T.S. University President
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Oklahoma, like many states, squandered the summer. Lots of time to prep and Give parents options. States in the hurricane belt have had online course work on lock for years.

3. Gold*

Gold* Serious Cat Circle of Honor
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Too busy chasing Tesla and holding a failed rally.

Epic is awful.

People will not be able to go back to work.

4. lawpoke87

lawpoke87 I.T.S. Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

As of two days ago Epic’s enrollment was over 40,000 and increasing over 1000 students per day on average. Funding for our public schools are about to take a significant hit due to reductions in enrollment. Disappointed our public schools weren’t better prepared for this fall.

We’re strong supporters of Bixby schools so our kids are using their virtual option. Their classroom option simply makes no sense imo and has little chance of long term success headed into the fall semester. Unfortunately, I believe Bixby is the norm rather than the exception.

TUMe likes this.
  5. astonmartin708

astonmartin708 I.T.S. University President
    Expand Collapse

And Epic is still under investigation for imbezzlement, racketeering, and forgery charges.... Seems like a good place to send your kids. I'm sure they'll feed directly into Oral Roberts at some point. Gotta keep that embezzlement train going! /s

6. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

We have a president that doesn't even understand basic statistics. Sad.

bluegold70 and Gold* like this.
  7. Gmoney4WW

Gmoney4WW I.T.S. Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap, I can't believe he let that interview be filmed. That was not a good look for him. Did a third grader do those charts for him? He looked lost in the charts, and not very aware of, or on top of the situation.

8. Gold*

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Did you need this to know that? It’s really bad.

I have this theory. A lot of the good people who keep our world going work for the government in some form, whether it’s teachers, judges, FBI agents, and so on. The freaking post office is essential to our survival. I don’t think about 90% of what I do would get done without very intelligent and faithful court staff.

All these years of whining about “the gub’mint” and this $hitshow of a presidency have undermined that. We need to have confidence in these institutions.

Epic is a comic failure and not a real alternative to brick and mortar schools. It’s a school for people who hate school. We need to support brick and mortar schools. Pay teachers so they can afford to live. That means we have to fund schools.

9. Gmoney4WW

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I am just re-amazed at how silly he looks, and that he doesn't realize the stupidity he projects, but this was one of his finer moments. As he gets closer to the election, you would think he would place more value in his advisors, but I guess that would mean he ever listened to anybody in the first place.

10. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

The problem is, he's not even smart enough to understand what people are explaining to him. I'm not 100% sold Biden will be any better, but it's like trying to explain Excel to an 80 year old who's barely touched a computer.... after a while you just have to accept that they're past the point in their life where they'll be able to do this.

At least Biden tends to stick to the talking points and critical analysis that's being fed to him.... maybe whoever handed these charts to Trump just lacks understanding about the issue and that trickled up? There's someone seriously incompetent in the Whitehouse though, be it Trump himself, or a senior staffer, or both.

Gmoney4WW likes this.
  11. Gold*

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Trump plays iso ball. He don’t need a team. He’s trying to kill everybody.

Gmoney4WW likes this.
  12. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

But he also doesn't put in the work. It would be like watching Kobe try to do Kobe heroics, only this Kobe never stepped foot in the gym and spent all his time golfing and going on talk shows arguing that he should be the MVP even though he's averaging league worsts in points, rebounds, assists, and turnovers all while the Lakers are losing game after game.

13. Gold*

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So like Rippin, right?

Gmoney4WW and astonmartin708 like this.
  14. lawpoke87

lawpoke87 I.T.S. Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Just throwing this out there...we have a lower age limit to run for President. Should we have an upper limit as well?

maverickfp, Gold* and astonmartin708 like this.
  15. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

I'd say the president should have a max age of 70. You can run for two terms if you're 62 (or younger) in your first term, and you can run for only one if you're between 62 and 66. Anything older than that is clearly retirement age by the later years of the office.

I'm sure that there are some people who will have the presence of mind to be able to handle the job after that age, but there are also some people that have the presence of mind to do the job before they're 36.

Honestly, I'd love it if presidential candidates were given a number of tests on reasoning, critical thinking, economics, military strategy, foreign policy, basic American and Global history, and fairly extensive civics. They wouldn't have to ace everything. But it would give Americans an idea about where their strengths lie and allow people to make an educated decision.

I would have the tests authored by a bipartisan congressional commission and kept confidential.

Ask them some questions about things like the effects of the Lend Lease Act under President Roosevelt, or the US strategy under Reagan to bankrupt the Soviets... Maybe something about the fall of the Roman Republic, the civil rights movement, or the effects of jim crow during reconstruction. You could ask them about the effects of tariffs, or governmental stimulus.

15 astonmartin708, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM
  16. noble cane

noble cane I.T.S. Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Interesting.. so you are in favor of standardized testing to determine educational progress?

No politician left behind as it were...

Gold* likes this.
  17. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

I'm in favor of having candidates with better aptitudes running for office on both sides. A standardized test is better than no tests at all and it might deter some wack-a-doodles from running. Anyone think Kanye could pass a test on 3/4 of those subjects that I listed above?

The problem with standardized tests in schools, is that not everyone is competing for the same 10 jobs. You need to be able to teach a wider variety of things to kids. Some people will end up being musicians, or youtube content creators, or marketing majors. I think standardized tests are more viable when everyone is expected to know the same things within a single profession. Or, when they judge broad skills like basic budgeting, or reasoning.

Having a candidate who we know performs poorly in one area, might lead to the selection of uber-qualified cabinet members to make up for the candidates' areas of deficiency as well, so you might get better leadership overall instead of just semi-patronage positions. Maybe Obama would have scored high in civics, history, and foreign policy, but done mediocre in economics or military strategy. He might have been forced to publicly try and make up for that by adopting policies from experts in the field, or announcing a VP he thought should perform well in those ares.

17 astonmartin708, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM
  18. Gmoney4WW

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

...and you can run for only one if you're between 62 and 70. FIFY Unless you mean he has a max age of 70 while he's in office, rather than when he's on the campaign trail. That's ambiguous.

19. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

I meant max age of 70 while in office.

20. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

Apparently Trump pronounces Yosemite like "anti-semite".... again, how did people elect this schlub.

21. aTUfan

aTUfan I.T.S. Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

eliminate the dc career path; term limits, reduce congressional staffing, congressmen have to report all financial favors as income, no pension, no lifetime benefits. When you term is up, you get a hand shake and return home.
    also if you have outstanding income tax debt, you lose voting privileges or better your office.

make them live like the rest of us

TU_BLA likes this.
  22. noble cane

Expand Collapse

Considering that the biggest problem with public education is the teaching of standardized tests rather than critical thinking... i think your plan has a serious flaw..

23. TU_BLA

TU_BLA I.T.S. Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Something we agree on. Lobbyist perks should be reclassified as bribes and illegal. We need to get that type of stuff out of state and federal politics. Last I checked individual corporations did not get a vote. This is also the problem with the Citizens United ruling.

24. aTUfan

aTUfan I.T.S. Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I used to work for a company doing DoD contracts work. We could not even provide coffee and donuts for the military personnel we would meet with. But Congressmen could receive all kinds of freebies, before they would appropriate money..

25. noble cane

Expand Collapse

Book deals and speaking engagements fall into this category as well.

26. lawpoke87

lawpoke87 I.T.S. Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't sound like Joe is down for Aston's test.....or a drug test for that matter.

27. TU_BLA

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

After they're out of office, I don't care if they write a book or go on speaking tours.

Question: Are you OK with Ivanka and Trump Jr. and their books while they are technically in official government roles?

28. TU_BLA

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah...my dad worked for Chamberlain Corp. for a while. I believe they made Howitzer shell casings. It was always a big deal when Raytheon built some new weapon delivery system as to whether or not Chamberlain would get the contract to build part of the actual weapon or not because if it lost out it would basically mean closing that factory down.

29. Weatherdemon

Weatherdemon Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I'm seeing local parents that are mad about virtual schooling and wanting to transfer their kids to private schools.
    I would think that private schools would likely go virtual as well.
    Thoughts on that?

30. astonmartin708

Expand Collapse

A lot of those parents will change their tune as they begin paying for medical care when their kids bring the virus home with them.

Weatherdemon likes this.