ADVERTISEMENT

The Return of Stead

TUBballJunkie

I.T.S. University President
Mar 16, 2003
TU President Emeritus Steadman Upham returns to leadership post

The University of Tulsa Board of Trustees has named TU President Emeritus Steadman Upham as the university's president effective Oct. 1, 2012.

Upham, who retired June 30, had led TU for eight years and had accepted a teaching position with the university. During that time, TU saw unprecedented achievements, raising more than $700 million and rising to #75 among national research universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey.

TU Board Chairman L. Duane Wilson said he has every confidence that Upham will provide the university with the leadership it requires until the current vacancy is filled. "Stead knows TU inside and out and is respected by our students, faculty, alumni and friends," Wilson said. "The board agreed that this stabilizing force will allow us to move forward deliberately and without haste in selecting TU's next president."

The trustees have not announced a timeline for the search. Upham has agreed to remain in the position for up to two years.

During the past decade, TU has achieved a remarkable transformation through strategic enhancements to its curriculum, student experience, research enterprise, community partnerships, and physical campus. Last week, the university was ranked #83 among U.S. doctoral universities. For the first time in the school's history, TU's College of Law is ranked in the Top 100 law schools by U.S. News. For two years in a row, TU's Collins College of Business is ranked among the nation's Top 50 business schools by Bloomberg Businessweek.

"I have every confidence that The University of Tulsa is as strong as ever, and I look forward to helping ensure TU has a smooth transition into its next historic phase," Upham said. "I sincerely love this university and this city, and I am glad to be of service at this crucial time."

The Upham announcement follows last week's board decision to release Geoffrey Orsak from his duties as president. Orsak came to TU earlier in the summer from Southern Methodist University.

(email from Mona Chamberlin)

Good news. Will Clarkson and McClellan come back now?

LMAO!!!

But seriously, thank you, Stead. Thank you for stepping up when the university as a whole as well as athletics desparately needs leadership,

Great, thanks SU.
This post was edited on 9/20 7:05 PM by TUMe

Wish I could kill Junkie's thread as payback for killing mine, but this is such good news that cannot be killed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT