ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal Window Has Closed What Happens Next

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020
Which teams utilized the portal the most this window?

• Per On3 Sports, Arizona State and Colorado utilized the transfer portal the most during the winter window. The Sun Devils added 25 players (they lost 20) while the Buffaloes and new head coach Deion Sanders added 24 players and lost 13.
  • All told, 21 programs added 10 or more transfers, while 52 programs lost 10 or more players to the portal.
  • Teams that were hit the hardest by defections include Texas A&M and Arkansas (27), Ole Miss (25), Florida (23), Arizona (22), Oregon (21) and Arizona State (20).

https://www.deseret.com/2023/1/19/2...er-portal-window-has-closed-what-happens-next

**Deseret News

Reactions: eastcane
So question, now that the portal window has closed, does that mean the student athletes who didn't land with another school are shut off from transferring? Or does it just mean that the coaches can't reach out to them and the student athlete has to do the work of contacting coaches?

So question, now that the portal window has closed, does that mean the student athletes who didn't land with another school are shut off from transferring? Or does it just mean that the coaches can't reach out to them and the student athlete has to do the work of contacting coaches?

What happens to the players still in the portal?​

• Those players who’ve already entered their names in the transfer portal are good to transfer whenever. Their name is in the portal and the can take as long as needed to find a new program, as long as they are able to be admitted and meet academic requirement dates.
  • Per the Athletic, there are 532 Power Five scholarship players in the portal who haven’t found a new program (there are also more than 300 Group of Five scholarship players in the same boat).

Reactions: HuffyCane

• Those players who’ve already entered their names in the transfer portal are good to transfer whenever. Their name is in the portal and the can take as long as needed to find a new program, as long as they are able to be admitted and meet academic requirement dates.
  • Per the Athletic, there are 532 Power Five scholarship players in the portal who haven’t found a new program (there are also more than 300 Group of Five scholarship players in the same boat).
Thanks for the info. Dear God that's a lot of players still stuck in the portal.

Forgive me for being so uninformed here but what are these players doing right now? Do they get to finish the year out under the scholarship or do they forfeit the scholarship when they enter the portal? Are these kids just losing out on playing football at a D1 level or are they also losing their semester?

Forgive me for being so uninformed here but what are these players doing right now? Do they get to finish the year out under the scholarship or do they forfeit the scholarship when they enter the portal? Are these kids just losing out on playing football at a D1 level or are they also losing their semester?
My understanding is that the scholarship will extend through the current academic year provided the student has met the terms of the scholarship agreement and is in good academic standing with the university. I bet most simply leave to avoid the awkward situation that would surely follow.

Reactions: TU_BLA

One interesting point is that because of COVID years of eligibility, many of these players in the portal are currently finishing the last semester of their undergraduate degree and entered the portal because they were told their scholarship would not be renewed for graduate school. Many of these players will pursue jobs if they can't get an offer somewhere to play football. It is not quite the scenario that they entered the portal expecting to go somewhere better. I personally know two players in this exact situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT