ADVERTISEMENT

The P5 nonsense

chito_and_leon

I.T.S. Head Coach
Dec 5, 2003
3 of the top 4 teams in the country weren't in "power" conferences a decade ago. They were "inferior" programs that didn't deserve to be in the big leagues. Except that when they were given a level playing field, it turns out they are just as good or better than most of the traditional P5 schools. How many other programs are out there that would flourish if they had a level playing field? The nonsense that TCU, Baylir and Utah would forever be stuck at the bottom of their leagues, a theory espoused by many and even some of our friendly fans at the local charity schools, is clearly nonsense. The difference isn't anything special about the schools but purely due to the charity of the big conferences.

Outside of the top team or two in each cpnference, the power 5 conferences are highly overated.

big 10 ohio st, mich st ???????
acc fla st; blah
sec ????
pac12 stanford
big12 tcu, baylor

BTW, we have three teams in the AP and Coaches top 25 - Memphis, Houston and Temple this week. This is such a strong league!

Also, every team will either be televised on ESPN or CBS SN this week. Great exposure. We need to step up our game in every sport we compete in in the AAC. This is truly a great league. National Championships in mens/womens BB and high rankings in FB. :D

Reactions: XOut88
Outside of the top team or two in each cpnference, the power 5 conferences are highly overated.

big 10 ohio st, mich st ???????
acc fla st; blah
sec ????
pac12 stanford
big12 tcu, baylor

Ohio State is not the same team or even near the same quality as the team that won the nat'l championship last year. QB play is wildly inconsistent and Meyer seems to be holding back on overusing Zeke Elliott so far. Michigan St is the better team, IMO and they got lucky against Michigan who may be the most improved team in the country and Harbaugh is a shoe-in for nat'l coach of the year. But the B1G is not a great conference.

ACC: HAHAHAHA. Florida State and Clemson are such frauds on a national stage this year.

SEC: Don't mistake parity for excellence. I like LSU (better, I like Fournette and what he can do). Bama is good but not the dominating great they have been and everyone else is a notch below that.

PAC 12 UTAH (IMO the best team in the country from what I have seen so far)

Big XII Baylor and TCU. One will make the playoff...but this conference simply does not play enough defense to contend nationally.

Honestly, I would put Memphis up in the top 10-15 with their offense and they get enough defense to win games (they did something to Ole Miss that Bama couldn't). Lynch is the real deal.

Reactions: TulsaCane95
ESPN has begun showing stats for "P5."

That is to say, Ohio States offense is #1 in the P5. Or so and so is the #4 receiver in the P5. Or this defense has X tackles for loss, that's in the top 10 for the P5.

In my opinion another not so subtle nudge towards an official split.

I detest ESPN doing that, but I also detest ESPN selling out to the fantasy football gambling factories as well. Group of 5 teams just need to keep beating up on P5s and it will all take care of itself.

I detest ESPN doing that, but I also detest ESPN selling out to the fantasy football gambling factories as well. Group of 5 teams just need to keep beating up on P5s and it will all take care of itself.

Actually, I think every time the "non" Power schools start to do too well, the "P5" does what it needs to, to change the rules so ensure that they do not in the future....

BTW, we have three teams in the AP and Coaches top 25 - Memphis, Houston and Temple this week. This is such a strong league!

Also, every team will either be televised on ESPN or CBS SN this week. Great exposure. We need to step up our game in every sport we compete in in the AAC. This is truly a great league. National Championships in mens/womens BB and high rankings in FB. :D

Yep,
It's in the best interest of ALL AAC Members
2 "root" for Memphis, Houston, & Temple to run the table

In the next month,
Memphis will play @ Temple & @ Houston
(Houston & Temple do not play each other this yr.)

Temple has a 'tuff 2 week stretch
@ ECU this Thursday night
HUGE sold out Home Game vs. them Irish
Halloween Night in Philly, That could B wild!

It's still possible 4 both Houston & Temple to
go undefeated & BOTH teams 2 meet in the AAC Chump Game
That would B great PR 4 the conference
& give a much needed boost of recognition & adulation

on the BB front,
Coach "Ollie" pulled in a Top 3 recruiting class (3 Top 100 ranked power forwards)
U Conn women show no signs of stopping another Final 4 run
I think AAC BB will B just fine, Nat'lly speaking.
It's the conference depth that could B a concern though

The Temple/Notre Dame game is the 8:00pm (EST) national game on ABC on Halloween. Temple winning that game would be huge for the AAC.

As for the ESPN P5 stats, it's just more proof of who is really running the show and who owns the Heisman voting and other awards. Lynch and Ward are getting no mention for anything and Lynch may be at the same level Andrew Luck was at in college. G5s really just need to collude and say screw you to the P5s and just not play them if the playing field keeps tilting because of $$$.

The p5 non-playoff bowls pay is
more than all the g5 bowls, even though the p5 teams that play in them are no better than the g5 teams. There needs to beore balance. The only way to get there is "WIN".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT