ADVERTISEMENT

The Last of Us (HBO)

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Anyone else watch episode 1 of The Last of Us? Thoughts?

I loved it and plan to watch again prior to episode 2. I played through the original video game twice, and I've played the second game as well. The TV show brings even more of the story. I think it's incredibly well done and super compelling. I wish all episodes were released at once.

I loved it and plan to watch again prior to episode 2. I played through the original video game twice, and I've played the second game as well. The TV show brings even more of the story. I think it's incredibly well done and super compelling. I wish all episodes were released at once.
Thanks for the tip! I will check it out. The best TV on streaming right now is Paramount+ with Mayor of Easttown (Praying for you Jeremy Renner), Tulsa King, and 1923 with weekly new episodes. I don’t have time for more than 3 hours of TV in a week.

Thanks for the tip! I will check it out. The best TV on streaming right now is Paramount+ with Mayor of Easttown (Praying for you Jeremy Renner), Tulsa King, and 1923 with weekly new episodes. I don’t have time for more than 3 hours of TV in a week.
Edited:

Tulsa King is over. What will you do with that hour.

Capture season 1 & 2 is a pretty darn good show. It's British, & streams on Peacock. Espionage with hi tech. Deals with things like where things would go if the deep fake technology were a little more advanced than it is now. The first season was really good, but the second season is when it gets really interesting. It builds on what came before, to get into the meat of the premise for the series in the second season. Looking back on it, season 1 was the prologue, season 2 is the body.

Reactions: HuffyCane

The way the series is built, is it kind of like The Walking Dead meets Lost?

Maybe watch Mayor of Kingstown a second time. It might be the best TV series in the last 20 years.
That's some tough competition to go up against. The Wire was 20 years ago. Peaky Blinders, Vikings, GOT, Slow Horses,(recent) Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman, Sons of Anarchy, etc. are some of the competition. Maybe I'll have to check it out. It didn't get great reviews though.

That's another one you might check out, Slow Horses season 1 & 2. It's another British espionage show, and both The Capture and that show are pretty darn good. You can hear a solo piece by Mick Jagger to open each episode of Slow Horses. It's got Gary Oldman in the lead.

Last edited:
It’s the best American crime drama since The Wire. It can get a little slow at times. Blinders was great for two seasons then went to pot.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I tried watching Mayor of Kingstown and did not like it. I do like your two other selections though. The Wire is one of my favorites but the seasons are so varied that there is a wide range on the enjoyment scale. My favorite season was the one with the girl and the nail gun. My least favorite was the one with the young kids. Favorite character has to be Omar.

I agree. Mayor of Kingstown, Tulsa King and 1923 all fantastic. You definitely should give Last of Us a shot...it's super good. Co-creators are Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann. Mazin did Chernobyl on HBO, and Druckmann created the video game.

Neither really. It's not a zombie show, although the infected are pretty much like zombies. It's based on a fungal cordycep infection, that factually could happen in real life under the right circumstances, which is explained in the first episode.

The show has some flashbacks for context, but you get to see the outbreak in 2003, and then it flashes forward 20 years to 2023 and life in and out of quarantine zones. It's really well done.

That's some tough competition to go up against. The Wire was 20 years ago. Peaky Blinders, Vikings, GOT, Slow Horses,(recent) Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman, Sons of Anarchy, etc. are some of the competition. Maybe I'll have to check it out. It didn't get great reviews though.

That's another one you might check out, Slow Horses season 1 & 2. It's another British espionage show, and both The Capture and that show are pretty darn good. You can hear a solo piece by Mick Jagger to open each episode of Slow Horses. It's got Gary Oldman in the lead.
You bring up some great shows. I'll second The Capture. Black Snow is a recent Australian murder-mystery (missing person) starring Travis Fimmel as the detective. Fimmel played Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings. I haven't watched Slow Horses yet, but plan to.

You bring up some great shows. I'll second The Capture. Black Snow is a recent Australian murder-mystery (missing person) starring Travis Fimmel as the detective. Fimmel played Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings. I haven't watched Slow Horses yet, but plan to.
I'll have to check out Black Snow, didn't know about it. A quick check, and it's getting decent reviews. The only thing I've seen him in since Vikings, was Raised by Wolves. It was decent, but it was a little uneven. I'm not crazy bout zombie stuff. Watched a little bit of Walking Dead, and it seemed a little too soap opera. But I'll check out The Last of Us. Thanks for the recommendations.

You'll enjoy Slow Horses when you get a chance to check it out. It should continue for at least a couple of three more series. There is plenty more from the novelist in that series to mine from, and the series is well received enough to continue at least that long.

Last edited:
Neither really. It's not a zombie show, although the infected are pretty much like zombies. It's based on a fungal cordycep infection, that factually could happen in real life under the right circumstances, which is explained in the first episode.

The show has some flashbacks for context, but you get to see the outbreak in 2003, and then it flashes forward 20 years to 2023 and life in and out of quarantine zones. It's really well done.
Ignore everything I said about the last of us. I didn't see you had quoted me twice, and clicked on the last quote and just now read this one. I liked Chernobyl, and will definitely check this out.

Chernobyl is the best mini-series since Lonesome Dove.

Watching Montgomery these last few years, you couldn’t help but quote Dyatlov

chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible.gif

The Last of Us is based on a top-rated video game. It was almost like playing a horror movie (good story and very cinematic). The first two episodes stayed true to the story. If it continues this way, it'll be like The Walking Dead minus the main characters constantly doing stupid sh*t every other episode. Another substantial difference in The Last of Us is there are a lot more humans and fortifications.

Ultimately, the heart of the show centers on two main characters, Joel (Pedro Pascal) and Ellie (Bella Ramsey, the badass that portrayed young Lyanna Mormont in GoT). It has some horror elements, but in my opinion, it is more of a post-apocalyptic drama with horror elements if that makes sense.

After 2 episodes, I'm all in on it at least until they run out of source material.

Chernobyl is the best mini-series since Lonesome Dove.

Watching Montgomery these last few years, you couldn’t help but quote Dyatlov

chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible.gif

I always love to hear that assessment of my favorite football team and/or the nuclear plant down the street. It's like swallowing a bag of popcorn kernels b4 you die. Great fun if you run the crematorium, not so much for everybody else...

Succession is the best show I’ve seen in awhile. Season 4 should be out soon.

White Lotus is good as well.

The Last of Us is based on a top-rated video game. It was almost like playing a horror movie (good story and very cinematic). The first two episodes stayed true to the story. If it continues this way, it'll be like The Walking Dead minus the main characters constantly doing stupid sh*t every other episode. Another substantial difference in The Last of Us is there are a lot more humans and fortifications.

Ultimately, the heart of the show centers on two main characters, Joel (Pedro Pascal) and Ellie (Bella Ramsey, the badass that portrayed young Lyanna Mormont in GoT). It has some horror elements, but in my opinion, it is more of a post-apocalyptic drama with horror elements if that makes sense.

After 2 episodes, I'm all in on it at least until they run out of source material.
Yeah I watched the first episode last night. It's not holding my attention. It seems well written and all, but it's just not within the genres I'm generally attracted to. And it doesn't seem to have that 'it' thing, that says I'll watch it despite it not being one of my favorite genres. I'll probably watch the next episode just to give it another chance to grab my attention though, then I'm probably outtie. Looking forward to Black Snow. And will check out Mayor of Kingstown as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I watched the first episode last night. It's not holding my attention. It seems well written and all, but it's just not within the genres I'm generally attracted to. And it doesn't seem to have that 'it' thing, that says I'll watch it despite it not being one of my favorite genres. I'll probably watch the next episode just to give it another chance to grab my attention though, then I'm probably outtie. Looking forward to Black Snow. And will check out Mayor of East Town as well.
Episode 1 was long and slow. Episode 2 does pick up the pace though.

Yeah I watched the first episode last night. It's not holding my attention. It seems well written and all, but it's just not within the genres I'm generally attracted to. And it doesn't seem to have that 'it' thing, that says I'll watch it despite it not being one of my favorite genres. I'll probably watch the next episode just to give it another chance to grab my attention though, then I'm probably outtie. Looking forward to Black Snow. And will check out Mayor of East Town as well.
I didn’t care for the first episode either. I think they could’ve set up the story in a less plodding manner.

I agree with the other poster, episode 2 is more enjoyable. If you still don’t care for it after the 2nd one, it probably won’t be for you.

Episode 1 was long and slow. Episode 2 does pick up the pace though.

I didn’t care for the first episode either. I think they could’ve set up the story in a less plodding manner.

I agree with the other poster, episode 2 is more enjoyable. If you still don’t care for it after the 2nd one, it probably won’t be for you.
It had my full attention when the Indonesian scientist's response was 'Bomb'.

The kid is pretty funny.

The fungus allowing them to read each other was a bit of a stretch, but I'll go along with it.

I'll watch a few more episodes. 😜

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Succession is the best show I’ve seen in awhile. Season 4 should be out soon.

White Lotus is good as well.
Haven't tried Succession yet. But both seasons of White Lotus were definitely worth watching.

And will check out Mayor of East Town as well.
I think a couple shows are getting blurred. There is Mare of Easttown (starring Kate Winslet) on HBO and Mayor of Kingstown (Jeremy Renner) on Paramount+. Both excellent shows, and very different.

Haven't tried Succession yet. But both seasons of White Lotus were definitely worth watching.

I think a couple shows are getting blurred. There is Mare of Easttown (starring Kate Winslet) on HBO and Mayor of Kingstown (Jeremy Renner) on Paramount+. Both excellent shows, and very different.
Freudian slip? Meant to put Kingstown.

Haven't even watched that other show, just came upon it's title multiple times when searching for new shows. Stuck in my head.

The fungus allowing them to read each other was a bit of a stretch, but I'll go along with it.
I actually thought that is a nice touch. Mushroom root systems often do connect allowing them to "feel" what others feel.

I do agree it is quite a stretch that the infected humans who aren't rooted into the ground can also read/feel it.

I actually thought that is a nice touch. Mushroom root systems often do connect allowing them to "feel" what others feel.

I do agree it is quite a stretch that the infected humans who aren't rooted into the ground can also read/feel it.
Yeah it's that last little bit that requires mind reading on the part of the infected, and mental capacity in a plant that has no host & thus no brain. Some of that could be worked around through science, but there is at least one missing link there.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The Last of Us is really good! Chernobyl was as well.
Haven’t seen the others in here but, The Peripheral is a great one if you’re in to SIMs, sci-fi and cool tech.

The Last of Us is really good. If you like Linda Rondstadt you’ll like episode 3.

I misread the reference to Black Snow up above. My mind was thinking Black Mirror, which I always enjoyed watching but I’ve always been a fan of Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Thanks for the recommendation of The Last of Us. I never would have watched it without this thread and it’s way better than I thought it would be. The kid should win the Emmy for best supporting actress in a mini-series but probably has no chance being young and in a SciFi/Horror/Video Game movie.

Thanks for the recommendation of The Last of Us. I never would have watched it without this thread and it’s way better than I thought it would be. The kid should win the Emmy for best supporting actress in a mini-series but probably has no chance being young and in a SciFi/Horror/Video Game movie.
She had a minor role in Game of Thrones when she was young, and despite only being in a few episodes, she stood out immediately because of her presence and character.

I haven't seen anything else she's been in, but if these 2 shows are an indication, she will be really popular in the coming years.

She had a minor role in Game of Thrones when she was young, and despite only being in a few episodes, she stood out immediately because of her presence and character.

I haven't seen anything else she's been in, but if these 2 shows are an indication, she will be really popular in the coming years.
I've seen her in three other things. Requiem,(her first role/British miniseries) His Dark Materials, and Becoming Elizabeth. She wasn't bad in Becoming Elizabeth & His Dark Materials.(the series was though, quit before I finished it) This isn't her first starring role, she was in a movie I haven't seen as the star.(Catherine Called Birdy) Have no intention of watching it. This is the first thing I've seen, where she has been given a role in which she could shine.

This is kind of like a zombie series, but they pulled a Game of Thrones stunt. For budgetary, and dramatically cool reasons they made the Zombie/Dragon scenes infrequent. They focused instead on the drama of, political intrigue/lives of the survivors, more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT