ADVERTISEMENT

TG in T-Town?

94ChickFan

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2004
I’m on a flight from TUL-DFW and when passing by first class on my way back to coach I saw a man who looked just like Todd Graham sitting in 1st. Anyone know anything? He could just be visiting friends..I’m only 80% sure it was him since I walked by quickly
#conspiracy theories lol

I’m on a flight from TUL-DFW and when passing by first class on my way back to coach I saw a man who looked just like Todd Graham sitting in 1st. Anyone know anything? He could just be visiting friends..I’m only 80% sure it was him since I walked by quickly
#conspiracy theories lol

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in the area. Supposedly his wife really loved Tulsa - happy wife, happy life.

Cheap cost of living, central location, not to far from his Texas roots. I'm sure his ASU buy out what let him live very comfortable here. I can't remember did he have kids? Might have liked the schools as well.

Now a total hypothetical:

He would be my first call if we made a coaching change.

His buy out from ASU means we could probably rearrange his Tulsa contract to help with the Monty buy out and pay extra out on the back end, where Tulsa will be making more off the upcoming media contract.

He's still realitively young, deep Texas connections and knows Oklahoma. We're in a better position conference wise, media exposure, etc so the ceiling would be higher than his first time here.

He knows Tulsa and the issues here. His style is what our fans prefer and what attracts the casual interest fan.

I know there was some bad feelings on the separation but it's been about a decade and things/people change.

He is going to watch the Auburn and Arkansas game to see Gus and Chad. Maybe making a side trip before going to Auburn. He has supposedly said he will be coaching again next year. His youngest son is in HS probably 9th or 10th grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofbird
He is going to watch the Auburn and Arkansas game to see Gus and Chad. Maybe making a side trip before going to Auburn. He has supposedly said he will be coaching again next year. His youngest son is in HS probably 9th or 10th grade.
Good info. I would expect he will be coaching again next year, probably enjoying a break. He's still in his prime coaching years, has 9 of 12 winning seasons, his losing seasons were a 6-7 (bowl loss), and two 5-7 years. A PAC 12 south division crown at ASU and 3 second place finishes. All the TU stuff. A bowl game at Rice, 10 bowl games overall and half of his winning seasons were 10+ games including 3 out of 4 years at Tulsa and back to back seasons at Arizona St.

Pretty sure someone is going to look at that resume and take a "chance".

Cheap cost of living, central location, not to far from his Texas roots. I'm sure his ASU buy out what let him live very comfortable here. I can't remember did he have kids? Might have liked the schools as well.

Now a total hypothetical:

He would be my first call if we made a coaching change.

His buy out from ASU means we could probably rearrange his Tulsa contract to help with the Monty buy out and pay extra out on the back end, where Tulsa will be making more off the upcoming media contract.

He's still realitively young, deep Texas connections and knows Oklahoma. We're in a better position conference wise, media exposure, etc so the ceiling would be higher than his first time here.

He knows Tulsa and the issues here. His style is what our fans prefer and what attracts the casual interest fan.

I know there was some bad feelings on the separation but it's been about a decade and things/people change.
No hell no.

Reactions: TU 1978
It’s always been interesting how a lot of TU fans don’t like TG. I was a student during most of his time at Tulsa and almost all the players I knew at the time really liked him and the staff, despite many of them being recruited by Kragthorpe.

It’s always been interesting how a lot of TU fans don’t like TG. I was a student during most of his time at Tulsa and almost all the players I knew at the time really liked him and the staff, despite many of them being recruited by Kragthorpe.

He rubbed some people the wrong way on a few things, but at the end of the day he got the job done. And the one time he didn’t, he fixed it the very next season. He found a way to make it work here, so it’s not impossible.

#conspiracy theories lol
Had a speaking engagement. Spoke at the Northwest Arkansas Touchdown Club yesterday.

Graham burned any bridge back to us by his comments after leaving us.... then Pitt...there are other good coaches out there we don't have to retread... and we don't even need to be talking about this yet.

Graham burned any bridge back to us by his comments after leaving us.... then Pitt...there are other good coaches out there we don't have to retread... and we don't even need to be talking about this yet.

So because he said some mean things 10 years ago he's out? Seems legit to me.

This is college athletics. Kids love him, he wins, he doesn't get in NCAA trouble, and has the sort of connections that bring a good staff and an eye for coaching talent.

He also says dumb stuff on occasion like every human.

Baby out with the bath water though right?

I checked the flight log, and there were several flights to and from Coach Graham's favorite University yesterday. ;)

Kids love him,
Really? I recall ESPN the Mag rated certain coaches a few years ago who were generally detested by players & TG was at the top of the list. Just wonder what Pitt players & in particular AZ St players would say about him. Of course, you have to give credence to the Mag.

I still think our kids balled out at Notre Dame just to spite him. Similar to the Buzz NIT run.

We beat ND because it was Kelly's first season there and they had a QB situation.

Besides ND, what non-G5 team did Graham ever beat? He also never won a conference championship despite being 1st or tied for 1st in the west for 3 years. Lost to UCF and ECU with Kragthorpe's guys, then lost to SMU and missed out on the conference championship in his last season.

Graham always had trouble in "big" games. Be they with OU, OSU, Boise, etc...

Last edited:
We beat ND because it was Kelly's first season there and they had a QB situation.

Besides ND, what non-G5 team did Graham ever beat? He also never won a conference championship despite being 1st or tied for 1st in the west for 3 years. Lost to UCF and ECU with Kragthorpe's guys, then lost to SMU and missed out on the conference championship in his last season.

Graham always had trouble in "big" games. Be they with OU, OSU, Boise, etc...

Haven’t all of our recent coaches struggled in big games? The only win we have against a p5 in the past decade (besides ND) was against at 6-6 Iowa state team. I get what you’re saying but we haven’t won any “big” games in quite some time (outside of ND).

I still think our kids balled out at Notre Dame just to spite him. Similar to the Buzz NIT run.
Buzz's NIT run was a little different. After he completely mishandled the golden opportunity in front of him at the WAC tournament, which we hosted, the players revolted and just decided they weren't listening to him. Watch some of the old highlights and you see him barking something at Harrington...and Harrington waved him off almost like "STHU".

Haven’t all of our recent coaches struggled in big games? The only win we have against a p5 in the past decade (besides ND) was against at 6-6 Iowa state team. I get what you’re saying but we haven’t won any “big” games in quite some time (outside of ND).
Bill at least beat a decent UCF team (twice) to get a conference championship. (Something Graham was never able to do)

Monty's teams have played up to the level of their competitor in big games @OU and @Texas. We even had a pretty good half against Ohio State before falling apart a minute before going into the locker room. I feel like Monty is much closer to beating some of those schools than Graham ever was. With Graham we would walk into Sooner stadium and look like we didn't practice the entire week.

Bill at least beat a decent UCF team (twice) to get a conference championship. (Something Graham was never able to do)

Monty's teams have played up to the level of their competitor in big games @OU and @Texas. We even had a pretty good half against Ohio State before falling apart a minute before going into the locker room. I feel like Monty is much closer to beating some of those schools than Graham ever was. With Graham we would walk into Sooner stadium and look like we didn't practice the entire week.

I mean Kragthorpe won a conference championship as well but also lost to all the big names he played: Minnesota, Kansas, OU, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, Utah*, and OSU.

I do agree that Montgomery’s teams have seemed more competitive with bigger name opponents, but at the end of the day an L is an L and a W is a W.

Reactions: astonmartin708

Your Monty crush is showing.

We have played 6 A5+ (autonomous conferences + Notre Dame) teams since 2013. One of those games were at home. Here are the games vs an A5+ program or top 25 for both coaches.

Todd Graham: 3-6
2007 {10-4}
vs #4 OU 62-21 loss
2008 {11-3}
@ Arkansas 30-23 loss
Bowl vs #22 Ball State 45-13 win
2009 {5-7}
@ #12 OU 45-0 loss
Vs #6 Boise 28-21 loss
Vs #15 Houston 46-45 loss
2010 {10-3 #24}
@ Oklahoma St 65-28 loss
(Cowboys finished 11-2 and ranked top 10)
@ Notre Dame 28-27 win
(Notre Dame was 8-5 won Sun Bowl)
Bowl vs #25 Hawaii 62-35 win

Monty: 0-10
2015 {6-7}
@ #16 OU 52-38 loss
(finished 11-2 top 5)
Vs Houston loss 38-24
(finished 13-1 top 10)
Vs #18 Memphis 66-42 loss
Vs #19 Navy 44-21 loss
2016 {10-3}
@ #4 Ohio St 48-3 loss
@ #13 Houston 38-31 loss
2017 {2-10}
@ #10 Oklahoma St 59-24 loss
Vs #22 Memphis 41-14 loss
@ #23 South Florida 27-20 loss
@ Texas 28-21 loss

In almost half the years Monty has had one more opportunity, no wins, three one score games and five blow outs.

Graham has two top 25 wins and a Notre Dame win in South Bend, three one score games, and three blow outs.

I mean Kragthorpe won a conference championship as well but also lost to all the big names he played: Minnesota, Kansas, OU, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, Utah*, and OSU.

I do agree that Montgomery’s teams have seemed more competitive with bigger name opponents, but at the end of the day an L is an L and a W is a W.
I can agree with this.

We have played 6 A5+ (autonomous conferences + Notre Dame) teams since 2013. One of those games were at home. Here are the games vs an A5+ program or top 25 for both coaches.

2007 {10-4}
vs #4 OU 62-21 loss
2008 {11-3}
@ Arkansas 30-23 loss
2009 {5-7}
@ #12 OU 45-0 loss
Vs #6 Boise 28-21 loss
2010 {10-3 #24}
@ Oklahoma St 65-28 loss
@ Notre Dame 28-27 win

2015 {6-7}
@ #16 OU 52-38 loss
(finished 11-2 top 5)
Vs Houston loss 38-24
(finished 13-1 top 10)
Vs #19 Navy 44-21 loss
2016 {10-3}
@ #4 Ohio St 48-3 loss
@ #13 Houston 38-31 loss
2017 {2-10}
@ Texas 28-21 loss

In almost half the years Monty has had one more opportunity, no wins, three one score games and five blow outs.

Graham has two top 25 wins and a Notre Dame win in South Bend, three one score games, and three blow outs.
Beating up MAC teams... excuse me if I'm not enthused. I would have rather played Georgia, Ole Miss, or Kentucky in the Liberty Bowl like UCF and ECU did when they won the conference championship and Todd tried to sell us on the GMAC Bowl.

Beating up MAC teams... excuse me if I'm not enthused. I would have rather played Georgia, Ole Miss, or Kentucky in the Liberty Bowl like UCF and ECU did when they won the conference championship and Todd tried to sell us on the GMAC Bowl.

Is that on Graham or a crappy conference bowl line up?

Didn't know Notre Dame was a MAC school, nobody tell them, they'll get pist.

You've got quite the business moving goal posts, do you have a card or Facebook page for it. I'd like to help spread the word. I'm sure some MWC fans would love to pass on some of their work, they get way to busy out there to handle it all.

Vs top 25 non A5+

Graham: 2-2
Monty: 0-5

Sorry, if we got to play them I would rather win.

Vs A5+ (ranked or unranked)

Graham: 1-4
Monty: 0-4

Is that on Graham or a crappy conference bowl line up?

Didn't know Notre Dame was a MAC school, nobody tell them, they'll get pist.

You've got quite the business moving goal posts, do you have a card or Facebook page for it. I'd like to help spread the word. I'm sure some MWC fans would love to pass on some of their work, they get way to busy out there to handle it all.

Vs top 25 non A5+

Graham: 2-2
Monty: 0-5

Sorry, if we got to play them I would rather win.

Vs A5+ (ranked or unranked)

Graham: 1-4
Monty: 0-4
Notre Dame was rebuilding that year. They had already lost to Navy for just the 3rd time in 45 years and it was Brian Kelly's first season. Did I love Tulsa getting a nice win? Yes. But it wasn't like we were beating Notre Dame of old, heck it wasn't even like we were beating Notre Dame of Kelly's last 5 years.

Notre Dame was rebuilding that year. They had already lost to Navy for just the 3rd time in 45 years and it was Brian Kelly's first season. Did I love Tulsa getting a nice win? Yes. But it wasn't like we were beating Notre Dame of old, heck it wasn't even like we were beating Notre Dame of Kelly's last 5 years.
TU won. The look of incredulousness on ND fans' faces was amazing to see as a TU fan walking out of that stadium that day. Some were so distraught they went to the Grotto after the game and prayed.

It was still one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen a D1 coach make...EVER

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
TU won. The look of incredulousness on ND fans' faces was amazing to see as a TU fan walking out of that stadium that day. Some were so distraught they went to the Grotto after the game and prayed.

It was still one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen a D1 coach make...EVER
I agree. I was like Wooow. That was dumb.

I hope Todd Graham sends Brian Kelly a nice wine every Christmas.

They weren’t a top 10 team but they also weren’t crap. They went 8-5 with a win over Miami Fl in the sun bowl.

Y’all are leaving out the 2007 BYU game which was a heck of a statement. They entered the game out of the poll because they lost to UCLA the week before, but ran the table after our drubbing, beat UCLA in the bowl on a second try and finished Ranked #14. It’s the best team we’ve beaten since 1991 and it was done with flair and punishment.

They weren’t a top 10 team but they also weren’t crap. They went 8-5 with a win over Miami Fl in the sun bowl.
They did have some really good players. The pass that got intercepted was intended for Michael Floyd, one of the better WRs in the country that year. They had a really nice RB playing as well (although his name escapes me) and Catfish Teo was on that team as well. The biggest issue was Kelly bouncing between QBs all season until Tanner Antle destroyed one of them that game.

Y’all are leaving out the 2007 BYU game which was a heck of a statement. They entered the game out of the poll because they lost to UCLA the week before, but ran the table after our drubbing, beat UCLA in the bowl on a second try and finished Ranked #14. It’s the best team we’ve beaten since 1991 and it was done with flair and punishment.

Our schedule issues fall on our AD big time right now.

Having a BYU, Boise, Army, Air Force, Fresno, hell even Hawaii team on the schedule with a good regional g5 opponent and alternating with our every two or three year home p5 game would help a lot. Especially if you line up those BYU, Army, Boise type games with Navy, Memphis, and Houston conference home games.

It would also help the conference sos and mean if we ever ran the table we would have a good shot at the access bowl.

@BYU
@Ole Miss
Army
UNT
Houston
Navy
Memphis
UCF

Or

@OU
@Air Force
BYU
Arkansas St
SMU
Tulane
USF
Uconn

Army and BYU are independent and need games (not desperate but they have to play 11 every year, both have a guaranteed rivalry game).

if tech bombs this year, I expect it may be a three way race between Littrell, Graham, and Kiffin? All better choices than what they have. All would take it in a heart beat I assume. Especially with a nice freshman QB on board this year!

Still cannot believe the Hogs passed on bringing Leach back to the area. His WSU team lost it's QB to the NFL and is still having a perfect year thus far against some also-rans. Two good games upcoming tho.

2007 {10-4}
vs #4 OU 62-21 loss
2008 {11-3}
@ Arkansas 30-23 loss
2009 {5-7}
@ #12 OU 45-0 loss
Vs #6 Boise 28-21 loss
2010 {10-3 #24}
@ Oklahoma St 65-28 loss
@ Notre Dame 28-27 win

2015 {6-7}
@ #16 OU 52-38 loss
(finished 11-2 top 5)
Vs Houston loss 38-24
(finished 13-1 top 10)
Vs #19 Navy 44-21 loss
2016 {10-3}
@ #4 Ohio St 48-3 loss
@ #13 Houston 38-31 loss
2017 {2-10}
@ Texas 28-21 loss

You are the Ben Shapiro of Football, facts before feelings. These guys care more about their feelings than they do the stats and records, lol. Love it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT