ADVERTISEMENT

Temple game thread

Doesn’t look like it’s going to go our way but Selebangue having another big game with 14 points, 10 boards and 3 assists and that’s with our guards forgetting he exists for long periods.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
Beyond the poor positioning on defense we just have too many guys who are ok with giving up a layup. Once they’re beat off the dribble the effort to recover is not great
Yep - those guys will hopefully be gone next season.

76-72 This gives me hope for this team. Bryant has been MUCHO better on his Free Throws.
I think the extracurricular activity in the game(technical fouls & such) had the team thinking less, and reacting more. That was probably good to get the yips out for Selebangue at the free throw line.

I hope so but skeptical.
They may play better, but I don't know if I expect them to get it together this season. They will get it together when we bring in 5 or 6 new players next year. I think this game will be the beginning of playing better. The technicals had players playing less in their head and more with their instincts. We have become hesitant and lacking in confidence. That's why we started out the season playing better. I will say this, Dalger looks like the back door might hit him in the butt. Now we need to find another scholarship or two to make more room.

Reactions: BABlake
KES and Urbancic are done this season and we had the open scholly so that accounts for the three early signers.

I agree that Dalger should move on from a basketball perspective.

KES and Urbancic are done this season and we had the open scholly so that accounts for the three early signers.

I agree that Dalger should move on from a basketball perspective.
A point guard can take his spot, and now we need a spot for a wing/shooting guard and a rim protector.

Reactions: I.I.
A point guard can take his spot, and now we need a spot for a wing/shooting guard and a rim protector.
I suspect Konkol is not the type of guy who will run players off if they are working hard and doing well academically. Rather he would message that he does not see much playing time for them so they can decide for themselves.

Probably good in the long run but might slow our progress a little.

Reactions: Clong83a
I suspect Konkol is not the type of guy who will run players off if they are working hard and doing well academically. Rather he would message that he does not see much playing time for them so they can decide for themselves.

Probably good in the long run but might slow our progress a little.
I figure he is more like that as well. But I have a feeling that is not as uncommon of a trait in basketball coaches as one might think. I think most players take the hint. I think Haith was like that, and he turned over a decent amount of players despite that.

Reactions: drboobay
I was having Bishop Wheatley flashbacks tonight… one of the root problems with our offense is that teams can sag 5 feet off of both Pritchard and Gaston-Chapman when they have the ball on the perimeter (just like they did against Wheatley).

That just clogs everything else up.

Also, I’m not a big fan of the Harlem Globetrotters-esque weave thing we do for 5 seconds to start a lot of our half court offenses. Seem like just pointless handoffs 35’ from the basket.

I was having Bishop Wheatley flashbacks tonight… one of the root problems with our offense is that teams can sag 5 feet off of both Pritchard and Gaston-Chapman when they have the ball on the perimeter (just like they did against Wheatley).

Also, I’m not a big fan of the Harlem Globetrotters-esque weave thing we do for 5 seconds to start a lot of our half court offenses. Seem like just pointless handoffs 35’ from the basket.
I do not have the stats but would expect that Pritchard is shooting better recently including from 3.

I am surprised that konkol is not giving McWright any more minutes than he is. His stats were better in my opinion than Knight's. Maybe his attitude and or defense is a little laxer than Konkol likes.

I’m disappointed in Dalger. I had high hopes for him beginning the year.
Yes....Early in the season, he was inconsistent, but had his moments.....Now it is
just a series of fouls, poor hands on rebounds, and missed threes.....KES and
Knight are also not exactly filling up a box score either.....Chuckwu is also not
adding much statistically, but does continue to look a little better each time....
SGC had one of his better games....He fouled out (mostly hustle fouls) but had
8 points and 6 rebounds.....We need that from him......

I.I. has talked about it quite a lot, but to reiterate, our guards collectively may
be the weakest group defensively I have seen....Opponents seem to drive and
score at will.....

Our team plays hard, but we are simply not getting meaningful contributions
from enough players....We are not deep as a team in D-1 skill level players, and
it really shows.....

Last edited:
I do not have the stats but would expect that Pritchard is shooting better recently including from 3.
You are absolutely correct in your assessment, but a little less ebullient in your description of how much he has improved.

1st 6 games of 3pt shooting for Pritchard: 3/12 25%.
Last 9 games of 3pt shooting: 8/16 50%.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment, but a little less ebullient in your description of how much he has improved.

That's 40%... I'll take that. Pritchard needs more time with a good coaching staff

That's 40%... I'll take that. Pritchard needs more time with a good coaching staff
All the numbers weren't adding up, I knew something was off on my individual games stats.

He was 8/16 for the last nine games.

But he was 3/14 for 21.4% for the first 6 games.

So it was even more of an improvement.

Last edited:

At least this weave doesn’t have us handing the ball off at the same spot on the court that someone can just sit there and defend like last year.

One last thought here...

I am getting fed up with certain posters on the pay board asking if we should support the program anymore or questioning coach Konkol. You must not even TRY to realize that this program was absolutely left in the gutter by Haith and the previous Admin. We will have MOST of this roster turned over by next season, where the real evaluation can begin. Goodness people, Sampson won something like 10 games his first year at Houston. Not saying Konkol is Sampson but the message remains.

Look for a big turnover this year. I think we will see 6-8 new faces on the sidelines next year. I, also, think Konkol will find a big man so he can move Selebangue to the 4 where he can wreck havoc on the offensive boards next season.

Look for a big turnover this year. I think we will see 6-8 new faces on the sidelines next year. I, also, think Konkol will find a big man so he can move Selebangue to the 4 where he can wreck havoc on the offensive boards next season.
I think he will keep Selebangue as close to the basket on offense as he can. Selebangue is no threat as a 4 and why move the nation’s best field goal shooter? A big who can shoot the three can play the 4. We signed a freshman who can do this actually but maybe not as a Freshman?

On defense, Selebangue can guard a smaller guy however and let the big cover inside and rim protect.

I think he will keep Selebangue as close to the basket on offense as he can. Selebangue is no threat as a 4 and why move the nation’s best field goal shooter? A big who can shoot the three can play the 4. We signed a freshman who can do this actually but maybe not as a Freshman?

On defense, Selebangue can guard a smaller guy however and let the big cover inside and rim protect.
He will absolutely try to move him to the 4. No threat as a 4? That doesn't even make sense. He's playing out of position this season

He will absolutely try to move him to the 4. No threat as a 4? That doesn't even make sense. He's playing out of position this season
Bryant will quickly admit he can’t shootout there, not a great handler out there and wants to play deep in the paint. Why change an all conference player from his best position and move him out where he is not as effective? 🙂

Selebangue has the best hands of any big in the last 20 years. We’ve had some good inside guys but they always seemed to fumble several passes per game. Selebangue will miss one every now and then but even the surprise passes usually end up getting caught and when he gets it, no dribble, no fake he goes up with it.

Selebangue has the best hands of any big in the last 20 years. We’ve had some good inside guys but they always seemed to fumble several passes per game. Selebangue will miss one every now and then but even the surprise passes usually end up getting caught and when he gets it, no dribble, no fake he goes up with it.

I agree! He has the possibility of being one of the best ever at TU.

T
The no dribble no fake quick release fools the defense. Doesn’t bring the ball down either.

As good as he was, I think Martins Igbanu would have been unstoppable if he had that capability. Strategically going straight to the basket on some passes would have upped his scoring noticeably. Sometimes all of his fakes stopped him from scoring the basket.

As good as he was, I think Martins Igbanu would have been unstoppable if he had that capability. Strategically going straight to the basket on some passes would have upped his scoring noticeably. Sometimes all of his fakes stopped him from scoring the basket.
KJ could do this.

Brandon Kurtz also to a degree.

NOBODY was as quick as KJ on that move. He was above his defender going over his right shoulder within a split second.
He could also score a little further from the bucket than Bryant. Nice turnaround jump shot.

He could also score a little further from the bucket than Bryant. Nice turnaround jump shot.
Bryant's abilities on shots further from the bucket aren't bad. I can see him developing that shot a little more In the next year or two.

KJ could do this.

Brandon Kurtz also to a degree.
That’s why I said the last 20 years. Honestly I think Selebangue’s shot is very similar to Greg Stewart but he doesn’t have his height. I still remember Jerry Webber on the game broadcast saying “big ol’ Greg Stewart“.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT