ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating

SSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhh. Let them roll it out and make their splash.

More stuff coming, including updates to the Thomas Plaza. I'll let them roll it out later. I'm not spilling.

For those that may not get back to campus very often, one addition to student life has been the development of the Thomas Plaza in the space between the west facade of the stadium and the apartments. It will have some new features for game day for all fans coming up this Fall, but its also a gathering place for students for special events and regular programming, especially in the Spring. TU spending money on outdoor live music and a cash bar for beer and wine for students, just to do it, without any particular reason to do it, is something pretty darn cool and long missing. I miss the Hut, but it going away is forgivable if they are having an outdoor lounge with beer on a regular basis when the weather is nice. And anything that integrates the stadium and football in the minds of students as more than just a game 5 times a year makes all the difference in the world.

https://utulsa.edu/tu-outdoors-at-thomas-plaza/

Last edited:
It's like OU fans are blind to the cost of doing business in the SEC. My guess is those fan bases pay for their prime tailgating spots in some way, shape, or form be it being built in to the cost of their season tickets, through an athletic dept donation, or something else. Being in D1, and specifically FBS, athletics is no longer a part of a university and has become a full blown independent business entity for most schools. They will capitalize and take your money for each and every little thing they can. These schools only care about the fans on the surface...in the end if you don't donate money or buy season tickets or a season tailgate spot, you can park 3 miles away and fend for yourself. Spending a bazillion dollars on coaches and facelifts to stadiums is only a catch to get fans to pay for these other things...a tailgate spot costs little to nothing for a university to maintain so it's nearly all profit. They can whine and bitch about it all they want, my guess is OU pays as much attention to the whiners as they do to OSU
You’d be surprised what it costs in cops, fire, ambulance and utilities when you have large scale SEC style tailgating for 12 hours before an 8pm kickoff when you have to have them standing around because of traffic on surface streets just in case guys get drunk and stumble over the tent stake they drove through the gas line and fall into their barbecue setting the $50,000 rose garden on fire. The City of Tallahassee pays more than $1 million in over time for police, fire and utilities for prime time games. The litter and waste pick up bill is astronomical. They make it back on sales tax receipts but take massive losses on noon kickoffs. You’ve got to limit who does what where and communicate why or be prepared to spend redunkulous money to be prepared. And that’s the rub. The non-athletic part of OU doesn’t want to do that. Either thing. So they just prohibit it all, raise the price for the elite and try to control what those people do. They don’t know what they are doing and it will bite them. The biggest problem is they never thought this was important and don’t have the infrastructure or experience to support it. Wait until there’s, no exaggeration, 600 RVs from Auburn driving up on Wednesday night waiting to park on campus on Thursday for a Saturday at 8pm game. Or red necks from Tennessee calling up asking if they can drive their boat up anywhere close to the stadium. Or the Kentucky people literally e setting up portable stills in front of the library. They have major culture and expectation management tasks ahead. Dealing with their own pissed off cheap fans will be the least of their problems.

Last edited:
For those wondering - this is the entire band this year. I count less than 50 😑

OK, so a couple of things and responses to some other questions here. There looks to be a few holes in that set meaning there is perhaps a few members who were unable to make rehearsal this day. It is the first week of classes so a lot of students are still getting a lot of stuff sorted out. But that would likely be no more than 10 kids so it is still small.

As for the ORU suggestion...you won't get the ORU band but you can try to do what they do to supplement their band size. They open things up to members of the community who just want to play music and be part of the atmosphere. It's a little harder with a marching band but maybe they should put an open call out to the TU community and maybe even the TCC community in their music program. If a kid from TU comes out and joins, maybe throw a little scholarship $ his/her way like they do with the mascot.

I also think TU needs to give student tickets to both ORU and TCC students for at least football. We know TU students aren't going to come close to filling the student section unless they're giving something away and at that they're only going to stay long enough to say they were there and bolt unless the group giving whatever away says you have to be present to win. TCC and ORU students don't have football teams that they can go and watch and support. Even if it nets you only an extra 200 or so in student attendance, it's a better optic.

OK, so a couple of things and responses to some other questions here. There looks to be a few holes in that set meaning there is perhaps a few members who were unable to make rehearsal this day. It is the first week of classes so a lot of students are still getting a lot of stuff sorted out. But that would likely be no more than 10 kids so it is still small.

As for the ORU suggestion...you won't get the ORU band but you can try to do what they do to supplement their band size. They open things up to members of the community who just want to play music and be part of the atmosphere. It's a little harder with a marching band but maybe they should put an open call out to the TU community and maybe even the TCC community in their music program. If a kid from TU comes out and joins, maybe throw a little scholarship $ his/her way like they do with the mascot.

I also think TU needs to give student tickets to both ORU and TCC students for at least football. We know TU students aren't going to come close to filling the student section unless they're giving something away and at that they're only going to stay long enough to say they were there and bolt unless the group giving whatever away says you have to be present to win. TCC and ORU students don't have football teams that they can go and watch and support. Even if it nets you only an extra 200 or so in student attendance, it's a better optic.
The last paragraph sounds like a great idea!

Considerable time, effort and money is being spent to attract students to the game, hold them there, and even entice them to remain afterwards. I’ll be very surprised if the student crowd isn’t up substantially and grows throughout the year, weather and won/loss permitting.

Whether it’s in exchange for cheese wrappers or to local students or to charity, TU needs to stop devaluing their product by giving free tickets to people. It devalues the perception of the experience and places an additional barrier up to attracting casual fans. Bubba was 100% right.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU83
I seriously think baseball is the most expensive sport to play. When I coached softball the costs were astronomical. We played tournaments every weekend, some in state, some out of state. You would have fuel, lodging, food, cost of entrance, tournament fees... then just the team itself. We had 4 different uniforms, each ran about $75. Then a good softball bat runs upwards of $400+. Helmets could run $100+. Cleats can get up there as well. Each season could cost a player $2-3k on the low end and $4-5k towards the high end for a traveling competitive team. I will say something needs to be done to allow more kids to play at the higher levels. There is some great talent that will never make it because they just can't afford to be on the teams that will get you seen.
You forget extra batting coaches, hitting coaches, cage time, gloves (especially if your kid is 2 way playing the 3 and the 1). We traveled from Florida to Phoenix. Played with or against the Hortons (Cubs), Fultons (Marlins), Felchers, Hydes... insane talent. One of the boys from our 18u summer team ,Braxton Hyde, just got drafted (Colorado Rockies).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TUcandoit
You’d be surprised what it costs in cops, fire, ambulance and utilities when you have large scale SEC style tailgating for 12 hours before an 8pm kickoff when you have to have them standing around because of traffic on surface streets just in case guys get drunk and stumble over the tent stake they drove through the gas line and fall into their barbecue setting the $50,000 rose garden on fire. The City of Tallahassee pays more than $1 million in over time for police, fire and utilities for prime time games. The litter and waste pick up bill is astronomical. They make it back on sales tax receipts but take massive losses on noon kickoffs. You’ve got to limit who does what where and communicate why or be prepared to spend redunkulous money to be prepared. And that’s the rub. The non-athletic part of OU doesn’t want to do that. Either thing. So they just prohibit it all, raise the price for the elite and try to control what those people do. They don’t know what they are doing and it will bite them. The biggest problem is they never thought this was important and don’t have the infrastructure or experience to support it. Wait until there’s, no exaggeration, 600 RVs from Auburn driving up on Wednesday night waiting to park on campus on Thursday for a Saturday at 8pm game. Or red necks from Tennessee calling up asking if they can drive their boat up anywhere close to the stadium. Or the Kentucky people literally e setting up portable stills in front of the library. They have major culture and expectation management tasks ahead. Dealing with their own pissed off cheap fans will be the least of their problems.
Nothing like an authentic SEC rivalry gameday.

I am looking forward to 20,000 Bama fans lighting cigars in tbe 4th qtr in Norman.

You forget extra batting coaches, hitting coaches, cage time, gloves (especially if your kid is 2 way playing the 3 and the 1). We traveled from Florida to Phoenix. Played with or against the Hortons (Cubs), Fultons (Marlins), Felchers, Hydes... insane talent. One of the boys from our 18u summer team ,Braxton Hyde, just got drafted (Colorado Rockies).
I bet we can all run down our costs. My son plays GK in soccer. In addition to yearly cleats (or2 pairs if he grows) at $200 a pop, his GK kits are stupid expensive, and then let's get into GK gloves which he goes through about 4-5 pairs a season, and then specialized GK training. The travel is about the same for all. We'll be headed to Tampa and Glendale, AZ tis year plus several other tournaments and showcases.

Reactions: noble cane
In case some of you missed it, and the folks at TU are reading this thread, I’ll just leave this here:

https://www.yardbarker.com/general_...s_over_new_tailgating_rules/s1_17068_37787575
So Chapman tailgating is $675 per season, and I believe on Glenn Dobbs Drive is $825. We spread the cost among our members, but it's a chunk regardless. We have electricity and a cable hookup, plus we have a great view of the music stage. So to us it is worth it. But I get the anger. 12 grand? WTH?

As for the ORU suggestion...you won't get the ORU band but you can try to do what they do to supplement their band size. They open things up to members of the community who just want to play music and be part of the atmosphere.
So as an old band member, I would sit in the stands and play. Anything to make the sound from the sidelines bigger.

So Chapman tailgating is $675 per season, and I believe on Glenn Dobbs Drive is $825. We spread the cost among our members, but it's a chunk regardless. We have electricity and a cable hookup, plus we have a great view of the music stage. So to us it is worth it. But I get the anger. 12 grand? WTH?
OU has options in the $400s for pretty much what you get for the $675. What's going on with the elite level pricing is they are trying to market pre-game hospitality for their suite holders that matches the same level of comfort and service they find in the suites. And some corporations demand that. TU needs to cultivate similar demand.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I understand what it is. I just don't get it. Guess I'm white trash or something.

I understand what it is. I just don't get it. Guess I'm white trash or something.
There's no such thing as a free lunch. And schools need to do a better job of communicating that. Whether you pay for it or TU pays for it, there is a cost to having that many people in such a small area for an extended period, whether that is injury risk, litter, policing, etc. So TU is offering services essentially gratis, like table set up and break down, in an attempt to make back a very small portion of those other costs. Where previous folks in positions of influence failed was that they didn't adequately communicate why they were doing what they were doing and charging what they charge, why there needs to be a charge, and didn't explore way to do things like invite free tailgaters on to Chapman without alienating those who are paying. So it came off as trying to exclude people or retire old informal fan culture that they viewed as less preferred or competing against them. When that wasn't always what was intended (sometimes it was.). Sometimes its as simple as stopping by a tailgate over by ACAC and saying we can't support emergency services over here if you need it during game day due to traffic and road closure, would you please move over here for your safety and our costs. Rather than just saying NO TAILGATING IN THIS AREA!

We have that now. If you want to tailgate for free on Chapman, you can, in designated areas and in designated ways. If you are an alumni, Im told there will be free food and beverages at every game now similar to the old GHC meals. FREE. So let's recap, Parking: Free, if you walk a very short distance. I've never walked more than 300 yards to a game. Food and BEER: Free, if you graduated. Tickets: Less than the cost of a movie now. Concessions: $1 for at least one game and deep discounts for other games. You aren't a business aiming to exclude people operating like that by charging for premium VIP service. Its simply offering something more for people who want to pay for it. And that money is desperately needed.

If you want a prime tailgate spot, with services from the school, and help pay for litter cleanup, security, and all the things that everyone seems to expect just magically appears for free, then that's definitely being a team player and greatly appreciated by the University. And it distinguishes those that do as true boosters and part of the program from those that are casual fans who buy single game tickets. It isn't being elitist. Every contribution is equally valued. The difference is in how that contribution is recognized. Its just plainly talking about facts, financial realities, the need to operate a multi-million dollar business. If you pay more, contribute more, you get more and hopefully get more satisfaction that you are doing your part, and even more, to support something we all love. The score of the game and whether we win 10 games starts to be put into proper perspective for many people, once they reach that level of satisfaction - whether they give $100 or $100,000. I know the school values your contributions - you've said on here they've invited you to focus groups and your voice is heard. So if they weren't trying to engage fans from every donor level as well ticket purchasers, I dont think we would be hearing about your experience or TU taking a loss on $1 hot dogs. Its a messaging problem -- and if the message was being done right -- you would "get it." It wasn't before. I hope it will be now. I hope this post helps.

Last edited:
So far I am impressed with Mr. Tranchina’s coverage of TU sports. Very good article the other day on men’s soccer.
I was grateful to see that. I firmly believe that this team can be a real legitimate threat to win the national championship this year. More than just a good program having a great year that gets lucky in the draw and goes deep into the tournament as we have been perceived during previous successful seasons. We may finally tap that College Cup keg!

There's no such thing as a free lunch. And schools need to do a better job of communicating that. Whether you pay for it or TU pays for it, there is a cost to having that many people in such a small area for an extended period, whether that is injury risk, litter, policing, etc. So TU is offering services essentially gratis, like table set up and break down, in an attempt to make back a very small portion of those other costs. Where previous folks in positions of influence failed was that they didn't adequately communicate why they were doing what they were doing and charging what they charge, why there needs to be a charge, and didn't explore way to do things like invite free tailgaters on to Chapman without alienating those who are paying. So it came off as trying to exclude people or retire old informal fan culture that they viewed as less preferred or competing against them. When that wasn't always what was intended (sometimes it was.). Sometimes its as simple as stopping by a tailgate over by ACAC and saying we can't support emergency services over here if you need it during game day due to traffic and road closure, would you please move over here for your safety and our costs. Rather than just saying NO TAILGATING IN THIS AREA!

We have that now. If you want to tailgate for free on Chapman, you can, in designated areas and in designated ways. If you are an alumni, Im told there will be free food and beverages at every game now similar to the old GHC meals. FREE. So let's recap, Parking: Free, if you walk a very short distance. I've never walked more than 300 yards to a game. Food and BEER: Free, if you graduated. Tickets: Less than the cost of a movie now. Concessions: $1 for at least one game and deep discounts for other games. You aren't a business aiming to exclude people operating like that by charging for premium VIP service. Its simply offering something more for people who want to pay for it. And that money is desperately needed.

If you want a prime tailgate spot, with services from the school, and help pay for litter cleanup, security, and all the things that everyone seems to expect just magically appears for free, then that's definitely being a team player and greatly appreciated by the University. And it distinguishes those that do as true boosters and part of the program from those that are casual fans who buy single game tickets. It isn't being elitist. Every contribution is equally valued. The difference is in how that contribution is recognized. Its just plainly talking about facts, financial realities, the need to operate a multi-million dollar business. If you pay more, contribute more, you get more and hopefully get more satisfaction that you are doing your part, and even more, to support something we all love. The score of the game and whether we win 10 games starts to be put into proper perspective for many people, once they reach that level of satisfaction - whether they give $100 or $100,000. I know the school values your contributions - you've said on here they've invited you to focus groups and your voice is heard. So if they weren't trying to engage fans from every donor level as well ticket purchasers, I dont think we would be hearing about your experience or TU taking a loss on $1 hot dogs. Its a messaging problem -- and if the message was being done right -- you would "get it." It wasn't before. I hope it will be now. I hope this post helps.
I think you nailed it on the head there. It was definitely a messaging problem. I don't think I have ever really felt clear on tailgating since I went to TU in 2001 on. I live by TU now and I still am not clear on it all. I will say I am not in the inner circles of everything which would help...this is just coming from a casual fan who loves his Blue and Gold. This new group have done a much much much better job of letting those who are not in the inner circles know more of what is going on. I am very appreciative of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT