ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Weatherdemon and I have had a tailgate for many years. We have had some attrition of our group for various reasons, so we would like to invite anyone who would like to join our tailgate contact us. We have a great spot on Chapman Commons and we all bring various food items for the games.

If you are looking for a place to tailgate in the fall, let us know here and one of us will get in touch with you. Thanks!

I'll be honest I never got into the tailgate scene when I was at TU. I remember growing up in Cincinnati and when we would go to Reds and Bengals games, tailgating was sooooo much different than it is here. It was basically as the word states...out of someone's tailgate. You could walk up and usually buy something cheap, talk it up, and then head into the game. At TU it looks almost like you have to be a member of a club to tailgate. I have never walked up to any because it feels very closed off.

Reactions: loca2874 and TU_BLA
I'll be honest I never got into the tailgate scene when I was at TU. I remember growing up in Cincinnati and when we would go to Reds and Bengals games, tailgating was sooooo much different than it is here. It was basically as the word states...out of someone's tailgate. You could walk up and usually buy something cheap, talk it up, and then head into the game. At TU it looks almost like you have to be a member of a club to tailgate. I have never walked up to any because it feels very closed off.
This is true. There's a heavy air of snobbery at some of the new "U" tailgating. And tailgating in the lots, while not discouraged, isn't really encouraged either.

Reactions: TUcandoit
As a non-alumn fan myself I totally get it. It took me a while to get comfortable around the tailgate scene. But I promise you wont find better people than at @Henry Kendall @Weatherdemon tailgate. You should definitely take them up on the offer and swing by.

This is true. There's a heavy air of snobbery at some of the new "U" tailgating. And tailgating in the lots, while not discouraged, isn't really encouraged either.
This is something I think/hope Carson and Dickson are addressing. Tailgating should not feel like a country club style event.

I do my part to try and show I’m welcoming to all by drinking natty light 😉

Last edited:
As a non-alumn fan myself I totally get it. It took me a while to get comfortable around the tailgate scene. But I promise you wont find better people than at @Henry Kendall @Weatherdemon tailgate. You should definitely take them up on the offer and swing by.
Thanks very much for the kind words, Jester. We had good times with y’all at the old spot.

Anyway, part of the issue is that we are all paying $675-800 per season for our spots. The previous administration kind of sucked the fun out of it, put more rules as the years went on. Like we had to have so any season tickets in order to have a spot, and be GHC members. Stop by our tailgate spot sometime and I’ll tell you the story of the time me and Russ Parmley almost got into fist fight over a parking pass Lol.

Anyway, I’ll be talking to Nick Weisenborn about tailgating. I actually had the idea for the university to put out kind of an announcement for people who want to tailgate but don’t have a group to do it with. Now is the time to make positive changes, so list any ideas and I’ll bring it up. We need to get rid of the snobbish appearance of the tailgaters.

This is something I think/hope Carson and Dickson are addressing. Tailgating should not feel like a country club style event.

I do my part to try and show I’m welcoming to all by drinking natty light 😉
No offense...I am looking for a different tailgate if you're drinking Natty Light. Of course I bitch about the snobbery, but I'm expecting some local brews and none of the fruity IPA crap that's out there. Anyone who has a tailgate and is offering a wheat or a Belgian white, let me know and I'll be by for sure and even contribute a couple 6 packs to the event.

Maybe that's an idea...let's have a bring a 6 pack of your favorite...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hurricane Harry's Tailgator is open to anyone. All are encouraged to attend. It is on the grass in front of the Wesley Foundation. We set up our own tents and have a game-by-game food theme. The Chili Cook-Off is always a "Tailgator" special. You can find details on Facebook under TU Tailgators.

No offense...I am looking for a different tailgate if you're drinking Natty Light. Of course I bitch about the snobbery, but I'm expecting some local brews and none of the fruity IPA crap that's out there. Anyone who has a tailgate and is offering a wheat or a Belgian white, let me know and I'll be by for sure and even contribute a couple 6 packs to the event.

Maybe that's an idea...let's have a bring a 6 pack of your favorite...
I didn’t say I ONLY drink natty. We support our local breweries heavily. From “fruity ipa crap” all the way down to natty (and everything in between). Further a lot of beer selection depends on the weather/month:

Hot (Aug/Sept) - lighter beer (lagers and pale ales like grand lake and this land are a couple of great choices) also mix in coors and natty

Cooling Off (October) - Oktoberfest (Marshall and spatan are my favorites, but a few other local varieties are great) and IPAs (Coop F5 is my favorite)

Cooler/Cold (November) - dark beer (dunkels and porters)

Our annual Punch Contest beats all beers. It's our annual battle to keep the travelling trophy we have. Competition gets fierce for it.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Weatherdemon and I have had a tailgate for many years. We have had some attrition of our group for various reasons, so we would like to invite anyone who would like to join our tailgate contact us. We have a great spot on Chapman Commons and we all bring various food items for the games.

If you are looking for a place to tailgate in the fall, let us know here and one of us will get in touch with you. Thanks!
I'm in, if you have room for an old guy. DLDaily

You will fit right in with (some) of us! I’ll reach out to you as the season gets closer.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I wanted to give everyone a major update on the tailgating and game day situation. Pres Carson and AD Dickson are very serious about improving the game day experience. I was in a meeting with Dickson this week, and everything is being examined and improved. I mean everything… from the pregame festivities at the Commons to everything in the stadium during the game... expect everything to be better.

Like most of you, I have been a diehard fan for decades, but I’ve never been so pumped for the season. I promise you will be very pleased with the changes you see.

I wanted to give everyone a major update on the tailgating and game day situation. Pres Carson and AD Dickson are very serious about improving the game day experience. I was in a meeting with Dickson this week, and everything is being examined and improved. I mean everything… from the pregame festivities at the Commons to everything in the stadium during the game... expect everything to be better.

Like most of you, I have been a diehard fan for decades, but I’ve never been so pumped for the season. I promise you will be very pleased with the changes you see.
That’s great news - I’m glad this is a priority.

Reactions: chamnewhouse
That’s great news - I’m glad this is a priority.
Rick was disappointed with what he saw last season from a fan standpoint, and everything is on the table to be improved. He wants our fan experience to be the best in the conference, and there is a group of staff, students and alumni working with him to get there.

If you have constructive ideas, let me know and I will bring them to the group.

Will Metallica do the National Anthem? I promise I could get a few more people there if so.

It's up to the individual schools...but I'd expect it to not change. They want you spending your money in the stadium just like every other team, professional or college. They will always spin it as a security issue though
Don't want anybody crossing the street to the beer line at QT.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I will pass along the thought. I believe it’s been discussed to close 11th down for games.
We’ve got an ex mayor on staff. The lift can’t be too heavy to put in an improved crosswalk there at 11th and Florence by the gates. Better paint, touch activated warning lights etc.

Thanks for the tailgate info. What’s the best hotel for Golden Hurricanes coming in from out of town on game day weekends? Thanks for any guidance.

Thanks for the tailgate info. What’s the best hotel for Golden Hurricanes coming in from out of town on game day weekends? Thanks for any guidance.
The Campbell is walking distance to the stadium but it is not the hotel it once was.

The Hotel Indigo is fairly new and has a nice rooftop bar but it is loud on the weekends as it is adjacent to the entertainment district.

Hilton Tulsa Club and the Mayo are fine mid price hotels. The Ambassador for luxury. Everything else in town is Hampton Inn or similar or stay away.

The Campbell is walking distance to the stadium but it is not the hotel it once was.

The Hotel Indigo is fairly new and has a nice rooftop bar but it is loud on the weekends as it is adjacent to the entertainment district.

Hilton Tulsa Club and the Mayo are fine mid price hotels. The Ambassador for luxury. Everything else in town is Hampton Inn or similar or stay away.
Thank you for the info!

Reactions: HuffyCane

Sorry to hear about the decline of the Campbell. We stayed there several times and it is the only hotel that is within staggering distance of the stadium. Stayed at the Indigo a year ago and it was a nice hotel. Loud, but within walking distance of many things. We walked over to the Dust Bowl while we were there.

Sorry to hear about the decline of the Campbell. We stayed there several times and it is the only hotel that is within staggering distance of the stadium. Stayed at the Indigo a year ago and it was a nice hotel. Loud, but within walking distance of many things. We walked over to the Dust Bowl while we were there.
I suspect but don’t know, that the Campbell might be for sale in a year or two. Considerable renovation to the rooms is necessary and the restaurant recently closed. The bar actually does pretty well I’m told. But yeah, the decor in the rooms was quaint in it’s day, but post Co-Vid it just screams dust and germs. I was there a year ago and my room had wash clothes three different shades of “white”, toilet seat broken, and the vending was inoperable. Not that I would have used it. This was once a place I stayed at 25 nights a year.

I stay at the Mayo now when in town, if for no other reason than Elvis slept there. Like Elvis, the Mayo had a comeback but it is starting to show its age too. The Tulsa Club is the best hotel downtown for the price, but that price often spikes on the weekends and that’s why I don’t recommend it to folks looking to stay Uber close to campus. There are several fine Airbnb’s within walking distance of the stadium, if you want a room with pictures of People’s families on the wall of your hotel room. But I prefer hotels especially now that prices are comparable. I stayed at one over near Buck Atom’s when the hotels were booked, didn’t read the fine print on the rental agreement and got charged $29.00 fee for not watering the plants and leaving the blinds closed. WTF with hipster millennials.

Last edited:
There are several fine Airbnb’s within walking distance of the stadium, if you want a room with pictures of People’s families on the wall of your hotel room. But I prefer hotels especially now that prices are comparable. I stayed at one over near Buck Atom’s when the hotels were booked, didn’t read the fine print on the rental agreement and got charged $29.00 fee for not watering the plants and leaving the blinds closed. WTF with hipster millennials.
There’s one in the 1200 block of Evanston I almost rented in May had we come back through Tulsa during PGA week for the Dylan center opening. Maybe we’ll stay there eventually.

Football season is approaching and me and my family can’t wait to get after it tailgating and supporting the mighty GOLDEN HURRICANE! Thank you Henry Kendall for the tailgate invite! We’re ready to raise the flags!!!

Football season is approaching and me and my family can’t wait to get after it tailgating and supporting the mighty GOLDEN HURRICANE! Thank you Henry Kendall for the tailgate invite! We’re ready to raise the flags!!!
I’m assuming you are kin to Joseph , hoping for him to have a great season !

Reactions: TU83 and Josephaa42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT