ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgate

Yeah I'm pretty impressed. Kids are loving it!

Just need it to not be balls hot outside...

The mini-field is genius. Thank you Thomases.

The hurricane siren has got to go. It’s great before the game, after scores, whatever….but it loses its uniqueness and becomes very irritating on third down. Bring back the third down bell.

And for goodness sake, can we not go back to the Golden Hurricane chant rather than Reign Cane? Monosyllabic words don’t work and it just sounds stoopid.

The fireworks were fun. One time an ember landed on the field…pretty sure it burned a hole until someone stamped it out.

And I hope the PA speakers in the NW corner were temporary. Are the scoreboard speakers out or something?

I’m sure they’ll learn a lot from this first game - lessons learned about areas for improvement.

The fireworks on a flammable field is done elsewhere and I’m sure tweaks may be done there as well.

PA speakers have been an issue for a long time. Perhaps these were added to address a past issue?

The only thing I have full faith and confidence in is that Brad Carson will make any changes and improvements. He has a Twitter post that he has deemed an open link for suggestions for the gameday experience

The hurricane siren has got to go. It’s great before the game, after scores, whatever….but it loses its uniqueness and becomes very irritating on third down. Bring back the third down bell.

And for goodness sake, can we not go back to the Golden Hurricane chant rather than Reign Cane? Monosyllabic words don’t work and it just sounds stoopid.

The fireworks were fun. One time an ember landed on the field…pretty sure it burned a hole until someone stamped it out.

And I hope the PA speakers in the NW corner were temporary. Are the scoreboard speakers out or something?
Very much agree we need to go back to the GOLDEN HURRICANE chant vs the reign cane chant!

Btw.. good to see you yesterday...

It was difficult to hear the speaker, especially the ref mic, from the south end of the west stands, but it came in clear as a bell at the F&M bank parking lot.

Reactions: noble cane
Unrelated question, I saw that Carson was on the ITS podcast. Has any university president done the podcast before? I didn't listen to it. Any takeaways other than I assume that Carson values athletics?

The only thing I have full faith and confidence in is that Brad Carson will make any changes and improvements. He has a Twitter post that he has deemed an open link for suggestions for the gameday experience

I don't know nothing but I feel like Carson views athletics as important for the college experience AND another way to make TU a hub for activity for Tulsa and connection with the community, like some of the things he has going on. Which is pretty brilliant if he can make it happen.

I don't know nothing but I feel like Carson views athletics as important for the college experience AND another way to make TU a hub for activity for Tulsa and connection with the community, like some of the things he has going on. Which is pretty brilliant if he can make it happen.
I think Carson sees athletics as an important way to elevate the University's overall profile. That's refreshing, considering the last few years.

I think Carson sees athletics as an important way to elevate the University's overall profile. That's refreshing, considering the last few years.
Not on this specific podcast, but he previously used the phrase “athletics is an important investment the university must make” (quote may not be exact but it was something along those lines).

On another note. Two gentlemen sat in front of my group at the game last night. Both called themselves “ou fans” but said they like TU. Both chose to come to the TU game instead of staying home to watch the ou game. Both of them seemed to have a good time cheering for TU and booing the refs at appropriate times. One mentioned it was his first time in “skelly stadium”

when they got up to leave, they looked back at us and said “we’ll see you again this season”

while this is a small sample and example, it 100% proves that what Rick and Brad are doing works.

finally - 22k sold tickets is FANTASTIC (even if there weren’t 22k actual butts in seats). A lot of people came out and the VAST majority of what I’ve seen on Twitter and Facebook has been positive regarding the Gameday experience. All those folks got to enjoy everything outside of the game AND got to witness an exciting (for casual fans) game where we ended up winning in the end.

Are there still a few Gameday tweaks that need to be made? Of course - and Brad seems to welcome those suggestions on Twitter. However, this Gameday atmosphere is something people are going to talk about to their friends… we made a great first impression on a bunch of folks who haven’t given TU a second thought before.

The word of mouth will work. It will take time. We are offering a different product than OU and Jenks and the Drillers. And it could eventually evolve into something unique. Oklahomans, due to weather and social pressure, don’t really know how to tailgate. They will learn.

The word of mouth will work. It will take time. We are offering a different product than OU and Jenks and the Drillers. And it could eventually evolve into something unique. Oklahomans, due to weather and social pressure, don’t really know how to tailgate. They will learn.
I’ve never been to a tailgate. What type of social pressures are involved?

On another note. Two gentlemen sat in front of my group at the game last night. Both called themselves “ou fans” but said they like TU. Both chose to come to the TU game instead of staying home to watch the ou game. Both of them seemed to have a good time cheering for TU and booing the refs at appropriate times. One mentioned it was his first time in “skelly stadium”

when they got up to leave, they looked back at us and said “we’ll see you again this season”

while this is a small sample and example, it 100% proves that what Rick and Brad are doing works.

finally - 22k sold tickets is FANTASTIC (even if there weren’t 22k actual butts in seats). A lot of people came out and the VAST majority of what I’ve seen on Twitter and Facebook has been positive regarding the Gameday experience. All those folks got to enjoy everything outside of the game AND got to witness an exciting (for casual fans) game where we ended up winning in the end.

Are there still a few Gameday tweaks that need to be made? Of course - and Brad seems to welcome those suggestions on Twitter. However, this Gameday atmosphere is something people are going to talk about to their friends… we made a great first impression on a bunch of folks who haven’t given TU a second thought before.
College FB games are fun. There have to be 10k or 15k people in Tulsa who enjoy games, get even a few of them and some more alumni and we got something going on.

I’ve never been to a tailgate. What type of social pressures are involved?
Well, for openers, putting on your best game day clothes, not old jeans and a Tubby era T-Shirt that Mazzio’s threw into the crowd. And understanding it’s not only socially acceptable, but productive personally and professionally in the 20th and 21st centuries to have a drink or two in public without acquiring the reputation as a drunk.

Having members of your family, who have no interest in football, understand that you can have a great time and see friends and not have football as your first priority for being there.

Understanding that throughout your entire year you look forward to five or six weekends a year to devote a substantial portion, if not all, of your family social and vacation budget to throwing the biggest party you can for yourself and your friends.

Making the program and the campus experience a part of your yearly traditions and family identity.

Weather deprives Tulsa of two or three weekends a year of tailgating which makes creating momentum a challenge. So does noon kickoffs we can’t control. And that’s before the deep anti drinking bias of local churches and social mores kick in. This town is changing in that regard and we might just be able to have a party in public for once.

Reactions: chamnewhouse
Well, for openers, putting on your best game day clothes, not old jeans and a Tubby era T-Shirt that Mazzio’s threw into the crowd. And understanding it’s not only socially acceptable, but productive personally and professionally in the 20th and 21st centuries to have a drink or two in public without acquiring the reputation as a drunk.

Having members of your family, who have no interest in football, understand that you can have a great time and see friends and not have football as your first priority for being there.

Understanding that throughout your entire year you look forward to five or six weekends a year to devote a substantial portion, if not all, of your family social and vacation budget to throwing the biggest party you can for yourself and your friends.

Making the program and the campus experience a part of your yearly traditions and family identity.

Weather deprives Tulsa of two or three weekends a year of tailgating which makes creating momentum a challenge. So does noon kickoffs we can’t control. And that’s before the deep anti drinking bias of local churches and social mores kick in. This town is changing in that regard and we might just be able to have a party in public for once.
Drinking in public! Have you gone mad?

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Have a smoking area on Commons and inside the stadium that's also Weed Friendly.
If someone has a medical marijuana card, they get a free joint from CBD Plus.
LOL.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Another observation: I appreciate the big TV screen on the truck, but having it show the Northwestern vs Duke game while Alabama/ TX was on was kinda strange. Maybe they changed the channel. Anyway, having it at the south end of the Commons seems like the spot where no one would be watching it. Could it be moved centrally, maybe by the tent?

I am not on Twitter to make this suggestion.

Another observation: I appreciate the big TV screen on the truck, but having it show the Northwestern vs Duke game while Alabama/ TX was on was kinda strange. Maybe they changed the channel. Anyway, having it at the south end of the Commons seems like the spot where no one would be watching it. Could it be moved centrally, maybe by the tent?

I am not on Twitter to make this suggestion.
Probably showed Duke vs NW because it was two academic schools...

That and they didn't want all those hateful "horns down" hand signs being thrown

• Haha
Reactions: Henry Kendall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT