ADVERTISEMENT

Summer is so long

How many days 'til Hurricane fans start calling for a change at quarterback?

We are approximately 93 days from kick off. 60 from camp.

Quite a bit going on this time of year. College golf championships just wrapped up at Karsten. College softball world series going on in OKC. College baseball regionals start in an hour. NBA finals. Stanley Cup finals. World Cup right around the corner.

Quite a bit going on this time of year. College golf championships just wrapped up at Karsten. College softball world series going on in OKC. College baseball regionals start in an hour. NBA finals. Stanley Cup finals. World Cup right around the corner.
I was really looking forward to having USA in the world cup to bridge the gap until TU Football starts... we only get that level of excitement once every 4 years. And now we don't even get that! F.U. Bruce Arena.

Now I have to root for Die Mannschaft! Go Germany!

I was really looking forward to having USA in the world cup to bridge the gap until TU Football starts... we only get that level of excitement once every 4 years. And now we don't even get that! F.U. Bruce Arena.

Now I have to root for Die Mannschaft! Go Germany!

My neighbor next door is from Brazil as well as the one directly behind me (pretty crazy) so I'm all in with Brazil this time around. Going to have watch parties with the whole nine yards....and I don't even like soccer :)

OKState golf team was a buzzsaw this season. So many quality players.

Stanley Cup finals >>>>> NBA Finals

There are few things better than playoff hockey. Game 7s in playoff hockey are even better.

OKState men's golf team was fantastic this year. Karsten Creek is just a gorgeous course and setting.

Hockey is for losers and Canadians. I'm not watching the NBA finals this season, so I really have hardly anything to do. I'll probably watch some of the French Open instead.

With Brazilian friends it appears I will have to learn to love futbol.

I'm impressed the guy is still in good enough shape to play. That wasn't yesterday. Wasn't Jimmy Carter in office then?

If he's talking about the 1970 match, the guy is 65 at a minimum. Pele is 77, I'm guessing the guy is somewhere in between. Impressive to say the least.

I’ve played indoor with and against some older guys who looked like they couldn’t make it up a flight of stairs much less play soccer. They weren’t fast and couldn’t run for very long but most still had decent ball skills. Much better than mine for the record.

It isn’t unusual for guys into their 80’s to get together for pick-up in Brazil.

That said, he was probably a youth development player for Brazil at the time and he is stretching when he says he was on the “team”. So he was among 100 or more recruits.

If he was capped for Brazil, it’s on the books and you can look it up. His birthday will be disclosed on the roster. Better yet, ask to see one of his caps. For you non-soccer guys, every time you appear for a national team, you get a beanie like cap as a keepsake. Well, most legit teams still give them every game. Others give you 1, 50, 100th appearance, etc. It’s a tradition going back to the 19th century. They are priceless souvenirs and if he was truly on the team, he will pull out his phone and show you pictures. If he is legit, that would be an amazing conversation. Especially given Pele’s political position at the time.

Last edited:
I play indoor soccer with a gentleman who was on Brazilian soccer team with Pele when they won the world cup.
We are an over 60 pick-up league.
We play fo 90 min twice a week. Some still play outdoors in the over 50 league. We have players in their 80s.
We have traveling squads that compete in over 60, 65 and 70 nationwide tournaments and win their age bracket. These players are mostly from other countries, and it is a pleasure to associat with. They like to drink beer.

I look forward to the World Cup and rooting for Brazil, and my favorite player Marcello.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
IIRC his U14 team was called Red Star and they practiced on the FIFA reg field his dad had built for the team out in BA. They left for Cali after that. I think that’s right.

He was tiny, but had talent. That was evident. 5'4" or so, maybe 120 pounds. Maybe. Heck, his playing weight at Everton was 160 or so. 5 goals in his first five games, then they started taking him seriously as a striker. Gave his career to the 2002 win against Portugal. Legend.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
@HuffyCane do you remember what club team Joe-Max Moore played for in Tulsa before he moved to California? I played for United back then, and TFC, Arsenal and Express were the other big premiere teams that I can remember.

I thought this was my buddy Chris, but after reading a description of him I knew it couldn’t be. Being bow-legged and very dangerous are spot on but very quick? Like me, only quick when going thru the pizza buffet line.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/chris-harmon

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
I had several dust-ups with Joe-Max, starting in second grade when I gave him the what-for and he cried. Who am I kidding? I clipped him. Clipped him real good.

Then by the time we were 12 and he was playing for Red Star and Milan Dovedic (Dobedan?) he got even with a good headbutt on a 50/50. Well played, Joe-Max.

And by the way, I’m still the best keeper on this board. That includes Tony Meola, who still posts occasionally lol

Last edited:
I had several dust-ups with Joe-Max, starting in second grade when I gave him the what-for and he cried. Who am I kidding? I clipped him. Clipped him real good.

Then by the time we were 12 and he was playing for Red Star and Milan Dovedic, he got even with a good headbutt on a 50/50. Well played, Joe-Max.

And by the way, I’m still the best keeper on this board. That includes Tony Meola, who still posts occasionally lol

Nice post. I never played, except at recess in grade school. Lol. But I love to hear stories of those that did or still do. When I was working in London in the mid-seventies, a lot of the Brits I met and/or worked with, did play. I also got to watch some matches in person. Fans were very rowdy even back then.

The funny thing to me is that the Brits only celebrated England’s 1966 World Cup for maybe three years. Then we started the NASL as a result.

So by 1973ish, all the Euros started coming to the US. Rodney Marsh left Chelsea in 76 or so to play for the the Tampa Bay Rowdies. He said, “English futbol is a grey game played by grey people on grey days.” I’ve always remembered that for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT