ADVERTISEMENT

Student debt

I’m just saying he made a rather large expenditure without consulting Congress… (Thanks Napoleon!)
To be fair the Senate did ratify the purchase treaty by a vote of 24-7. In any event, as I pointed out with the slavery comment, the US was a very different place over 200 years ago.

i have 3 grandchildren in college. all 3 are working this summer to get money to pay for school.. where is the aid for those that do it the right way?

i have 3 grandchildren in college. all 3 are working this summer to get money to pay for school.. where is the aid for those that do it the right way?
I worked in the summer every summer to help pay for school and still have student loans.

The aid is there for the people that need it.

aid is one thing, freebies are another
It’s not aid when it’s given with the expectation of repayment with interest. That’s a bank’s business venture. The government shouldn’t profit off of the plight of its constituents. (making the total cost for the education of someone who is poor 10-40% more than it cost someone who had the ability to pay for school without a loan)

Last edited:
Reactions: Clong83a
If the Court finds the plaintiffs have standing then I predict Biden’s action will not survive constitutional scrutiny without Congressional approval.

Reactions: HuffyCane
If the Court finds the plaintiffs have standing then I predict Biden’s action will not survive constitutional scrutiny without Congressional approval.
This. Roberts is expected to author the opinion and he has spent the last twenty years complaining about the executive branch acting like Congress on “major questions” when a majority of the legislature cannot agree to act. I’m wrong about this stuff a lot, but I’d bet the farm on it going down — especially with an opinion so late in the term on an issue the President is depending upon to get re-elected.

Reactions: aTUfan
This. Roberts is expected to author the opinion and he has spent the last twenty years complaining about the executive branch acting like Congress on “major questions” when a majority of the legislature cannot agree to act. I’m wrong about this stuff a lot, but I’d bet the farm on it going down — especially with an opinion so late in the term on an issue the President is depending upon to get re-elected.
Yeah, well Biden can weaponize the partisanship of the court to get re-elected as well as regain a majority in both chambers of Congress. He can tell young voters that Republicans failed them and want to keep them mired in student debt so they are not able to achieve their portion of the American dream. He kept his promise by issuing the EO on student debt relief. And you can be assured if he wins a 2nd term and has a +8 or so advantage in the Senate, SCOTUS will be expanded to 13 from 9. And then I believe the House and Senate will pass a law setting the # at 13 (currently the number is not set by law just by tradition).

Reactions: TULSARISING
Yeah, well Biden can weaponize the partisanship of the court to get re-elected as well as regain a majority in both chambers of Congress. He can tell young voters that Republicans failed them and want to keep them mired in student debt so they are not able to achieve their portion of the American dream. He kept his promise by issuing the EO on student debt relief. And you can be assured if he wins a 2nd term and has a +8 or so advantage in the Senate, SCOTUS will be expanded to 13 from 9. And then I believe the House and Senate will pass a law setting the # at 13 (currently the number is not set by law just by tradition).
As a country , if we re-elect Biden , we deserve everything we get from him , though I don’t think he is the one really calling the shots. I would love to just have a president who acts like a president , and is not an extremist for either side

I’m not sure what you are reading but the Senate isn’t the House. Only 34 seats are up for election. 20 of them are Dem. 11 are Republican. 3 are Independent. Amongst the Rep seats, only Indiana is a state with any chance of flipping Blue or perhaps Missouri. Meanwhile Blue Senate seats in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Nevada are up. Even without a viable Presidential nominee, most people who do politics for money believe the Democrats will lose control of the Senate and they’ve already shifted money preparing for that trend. For him to go “plus 8” in the Senate, he would need upset victories in places like Utah, Wyoming, Texas, Mississippi and Florida. All of them.

Reactions: noble cane
No student loan forgiveness
Correct and the best possible longterm decision for the country. Giving the Executive branch the sole power to legislate huge spending/forgiveness bills would have set a dangerous precedent for years and Presidents to come. Some here are focusing on a single political issue instead of the precedent being established.

Correct and the best possible longterm decision for the country. Giving the Executive branch the sole power to legislate huge spending/forgiveness bills would have set a dangerous precedent for years and Presidents to come. Some here are focusing on a single political issue instead of the precedent being established.
Agreed

Purely political. It really isn’t a constitutional question. And everyone knows it.

They wanted the relief without going through rulemaking because there wouldn’t be time to do that and win in the courts before the midterms.

They will roll out the same plan, slightly changed, through rule making, and let the courts litigate again.

As a practical matter this is the “Muslim ban” all over again. Trump banned visas from certain countries without legislative authority and without rule making. The courts told him to rule make and follow the procedures. He went back and did that and nearly two years later the substance was largely upheld.

Biden will rule make and then have to get a supplemental approp to get it paid for. And that will quietly happen but not $10,000 and not 98% of all federally held debt or whatever the figure was.

The reality is that we are talking about uncollectible debt in nearly all cases. It costs more over time to account for it and administrate small payments that typically don’t dent the borrowers obligations than it does to forgive it aka as write it off. Any private business would have written off these bad loans as uncollectible long ago. One way or another they will do that. It just won’t be at a stroke of a pen because Warren says so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Purely political. It really isn’t a constitutional question. And everyone knows it.

They wanted the relief without going through rulemaking because there wouldn’t be time to do that and win in the courts before the midterms.

They will roll out the same plan, slightly changed, through rule making, and let the courts litigate again.

As a practical matter this is the “Muslim ban” all over again. Trump banned visas from certain countries without legislative authority and without rule making. The courts told him to rule make and follow the procedures. He went back and did that and nearly two years later the substance was largely upheld.

Biden will rule make and then have to get a supplemental approp to get it paid for. And that will quietly happen but not $10,000 and not 98% of all federally held debt or whatever the figure was.

The reality is that we are talking about uncollectible debt in nearly all cases. It costs more over time to account for it and administrate small payments that typically don’t dent the borrowers obligations than it does to forgive it aka as write it off. Any private business would have written off these bad loans as uncollectible long ago. One way or another they will do that. It just won’t be at a stroke of a pen because Warren says so.
Absolutely correct. Biden knew the EO was unconstitutional but wanted to buy votes before the election. He will almost certainly take a similar measure for the same reason headed into next year. I’m very skeptical he follow our legislative procedures to pass the measure. To be more precise, Biden doesn’t know what the hell is going on. Whoever is running our government will proceed as described.

Again, the Admin isn’t attempting to solve the problem. Students who take out loans today will be in the exact same situation as those whose loans are being forgiven five years from now. Simply a dog and pony show to votes today with zero thought toward a permanent solution. Now….if we had a viable solution to this issue I would be much more willing to jump on board. Until then it’s a temporary fix costing billions

Last edited:
Until then it’s a temporary fix costing billions

why is you debt, my responsibility?

Answer
The reality is that we are talking about uncollectible debt in nearly all cases. It costs more over time to account for it and administrate small payments that typically don’t dent the borrowers obligations than it does to forgive it aka as write it off. Any private business would have written off these bad loans as uncollectible long ago. One way or another they will do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT