ADVERTISEMENT

Stillwater Game Thread

Why do we have such a problem with metro high school coaches winning with the previous coaches players in football and basketball then losing big time with their own recruits see John Phillips and bill Blankenship.

False assumption. Blankenship recruited most of Monty's ten win season. In fact Blankenship told the administration they would be a bowl team Evan's upperclassmen years. Monty did what Blankenship would of with those teams since that senior class left we have been garbage.

To be honest someone said Blankenship managed the game better and that's about it. Well after seeing Monty's total abject failure, it makes me wonder if we might not have had an undefeated team from that bunch. Monty made some questionable calls that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
Why do we have such a problem with metro high school coaches winning with the previous coaches players in football and basketball then losing big time with their own recruits see John Phillips and bill Blankenship.

B’s first two teams were loaded with JR’s and SR’s so ended up with 2 very young teams his last 2 years.
The TW said he had told the Admin he could win since he players had matured but, they wanted him out.
Monty did what B said he was going to do those 2 years and has crapped the bed since despite having recruited some damn fine players.

B’s first two teams were loaded with JR’s and SR’s so ended up with 2 very young teams his last 2 years.
The TW said he had told the Admin he could win since he players had matured but, they wanted him out.
Monty did what B said he was going to do those 2 years and has crapped the bed since despite having recruited some damn fine players.

This is my biggest issue with TU. We won't cut a single bit of slack for our own.

But the Hall monitor gets four years of absolute trash and clear coaching issues. We do it in all kinds of things.

We should be the foremost authority on native american law, founded by a native tribe as a teaching college and we squandered it. Meanwhile what is about to be the most important field of law in Oklahoma over the next decade?

When was the last time we built from within for the purpose we were intended?

One thing about Graham was he talked about playing Tulsa football. We had a pretty good coach who helped build a pretty good program as a player, a coach, and an AD. He talked about playing Tulsa football too. Hard, fast, smart, put the ball in the air and let them see what your players can do.

We definitely don't play smart and we haven't played fast in forever it seems like. We put the ball in the air on 3rd and longs, we make stupid penalties, we get delay of games. We lose 🤷‍♂️ our local casual fan doesn't want to watch that. It's not Tulsa football.

That all those issues go back to one person. But we'll give him six or seven years to destroy the program. Then ask someone who loves the school to come back and fix it, never address the flaws and then eat our own in three years.

Because being a good high school coach doesnt always translate into being a good recruiter or knowing what it takes to put a college staff together.
They generally don’t have the coaching network to put together a competent staff at the collegiate level. Malzahn was an exception, but he was a maniac that pretty much coached every offensive position his first year at TU. BB is a great example. He brought in a bunch of Div II and Div III guys and his family. Many did not fully grasp what it takes at the FBS level and we had some pretty bad misses on recruits. Others were excellent coaches. They knew who they are. One posts here. BB’s offense did not suit the rule changes and subjective judgment of collegiate referees either. Montgomery hired his friends and colleagues. The competent ones did not suffer a fool and left quickly. The others remain. Gillespie being an exception due to long standing ties and their wives. It does not help that we don’t pay well, our athletic department has a reputation for cutting pay and our President is not strong on athletics. Ambitious young assistants have plenty of reasons to look elsewhere even before they ask around and hear about his OCD behavior. Not to mention virtually nobody coaching in college has any knowledge of the offense and Briles refused to share it so the pool of potential hires is small.

Watching the replay here are some thoughts:
- Zavan didn’t play from the middle of Q3 (didn’t realize that early during the live action) and in Q4 some runs that kept the last two OSU drives alive may have not occurred with him in the game
- DBs look very good (CBs were noted by announcers but safeties, Ray especially, didn’t get burned and had great run support)
- Players that looked good that maybe weren’t expected Sawyer, Wick, Hopkins on D and Josh Johnson on O
- Delay of game penalties 3 and OSU called a timeout with 2:06 or we potentially would have had another.
- Time outs to keep from getting delay of game penalties 4
- If not for the face mask on the Prince run he scores may by the play of the game for OSU
- Smith could have pulled the ball on several 3rd down handoffs and got the first down
- On second down and goal from the 4 yard line, the swing pass to Keylon would have scored or got to the one as he had a step on the defender and number 1 had the CB blocked if he keeps going to the outside rather than trying to turn it up field
- The TD that was called back was actually a very good design (my only compliment of Monty)
- The FG kicker does have a nice leg too bad he pulled that kick
- We really are undisciplined and most of the penalties were deserved (one PI was not a good call), it killed our next to last drive (good opening play followed by 3 penalties to crush any momentum
- Gundy getting greedy on their last possession trying for TD rather than victory formation could have been (almost a fumble turnover) our biggest gift in years
- Smith has a good arm but there were timing issues and read issues on the run game but those may be due to lack of practice time
- Announcers were very fair even on things we wish were not the case (e.g. poor game management)

Reactions: HuffyCane
This is my biggest issue with TU. We won't cut a single bit of slack for our own.

But the Hall monitor gets four years of absolute trash and clear coaching issues. We do it in all kinds of things.

We should be the foremost authority on native american law, founded by a native tribe as a teaching college and we squandered it. Meanwhile what is about to be the most important field of law in Oklahoma over the next decade?

When was the last time we built from within for the purpose we were intended?

One thing about Graham was he talked about playing Tulsa football. We had a pretty good coach who helped build a pretty good program as a player, a coach, and an AD. He talked about playing Tulsa football too. Hard, fast, smart, put the ball in the air and let them see what your players can do.

We definitely don't play smart and we haven't played fast in forever it seems like. We put the ball in the air on 3rd and longs, we make stupid penalties, we get delay of games. We lose 🤷‍♂️ our local casual fan doesn't want to watch that. It's not Tulsa football.

That all those issues go back to one person. But we'll give him six or seven years to destroy the program. Then ask someone who loves the school to come back and fix it, never address the flaws and then eat our own in three years.
A lot of posters didn’t like Graham’s coaching style with his players , but he and his staff recruited some good talent, played an exciting brand of ball and for the most part won games. I wish we had him back warts and all .

Reactions: HuffyCane
Cincinnati and UCF are very good and it looks like by the time we play Navy that will be another loss.

OSU was fortunate to win. Starting QB goes out on the second drive of the game. Backup QB hadn’t take a snap in practice practically all summer/fall. Third string QB looks like me out there. Missed opportunity for TU.
TU forced Sanders out of the game. When he was in there he was under constant pressure. He certainly can ease that up with his legs which Bulloch couldn't do. More symptomatic of a huge problem for OSU is that our DL was able to create ample pressure on the QBs without bringing extra rushers. Player, Wick, Goodlow, Stevenson all were in their backfield most of the game with us running a 3 man line. Not only that, those 3 guys occupied the entire 5 man front allowing Collins and Sawyer and Revels and Ray into the backfield to hunt down the RBs. And the 2 OSU RBs are studs. They are again stacked back there and for most of the game (until Collins went out) we kept them in check. OSU also adjusted to the fact that their OL couldn't block us...they started throwing those quick 3 step drop timing balls over the top to Wallace. Not sure I remember a play where Illingham was forced to work through a progression and hold the ball more than a 3 count after the snap. You could say Collins going out was the key point in the game as up until that point he was the best player on the field from either team. He only played 3Q and he should still be the AAC Def POW. 3 sacks, another couple tackles for losses. He was a freaking monster out there and Blackledge and McDonough saw the NFL potential right away.

We had a ton of adversity. Burnett was going to have a monster season and he's lost. Brooks was lost. On the fly we all of a sudden know we have a really good alternative to Brooks in the backfield. Prince is going to be a stud. We have ample LBs in place. Revels and Sawyer really stepped up and played well as did Hopkins and Wright. And this defense may be better than last year's and we lost 2 guys to the NFL. I wish the kept stats on disrupted plays for DL....Player only got credit for 3 tackles in the game but how many freaking plays did he blow up because the 6'6" behemoth tackles could not handle his strength or quickness. (Funny thing, last night the Sunday night crew talked about how the Patriots and Seahawks liked the lower, stronger guys in the middle of the DL...seems like Player and his motor would be a perfect fit for both those teams).

Again, we are talking about another loss that is almost 100% pinned on the head coach's inability to pull one play out of a sandwich bag and get it communicated to the QB in 40 seconds...At this point, I'd almost let the back-up QBs just start signalling plays in and work from there...it can't get any worse.

Cincinnati and UCF are very good and it looks like by the time we play Navy that will be another loss.
Don't be so sure about that and Navy, although they did switch QBs to a a guy who is more capable of throwing the ball. Tulane is not anything near what they were last year or the year before and are still very suspect on defense.

We have a better defense than GaTech and probably some better corners. Having the 5 DBs really messes with Gabriel. I don't think UCF is any better than last year on either side of the ball. I think Gillespie has a blue print for them and I think the game is a battle. Not saying we will win but I don't think we can write it off yet. Same with Cincinnati. Our D should give us a chance to win most games but will it be enough to counter the HC/OC's ineptitude?

would love to see Collins get national defensive player of the week.
Yes, I’m quoting myself. This was in the second quarter, I believe.

Zaven was named Bednarik National defensive player of the week, in spite of playing less than 3 quarters.

You would think I would get tired of being right all the time, but I don’t.

Yes, I’m quoting myself. This was in the second quarter, I believe.

Zaven was named Bednarik National defensive player of the week, in spite of playing less than 3 quarters.

You would think I would get tired of being right all the time, but I don’t.
I know he was named to the AAC Honor Roll but not conference defensive player of the week...yet he was national defensive player of the week. Go figure. He deserved it.

I know he was named to the AAC Honor Roll but not conference defensive player of the week...yet he was national defensive player of the week. Go figure. He deserved it.
That happens when you print up T-Shirts that accuse the conference of being fixed.

Reactions: TU4ever2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT