ADVERTISEMENT

Stillwater Game Thread

Do we still get everybody back next year due to covid? Fire him and let Gillespie hire an OC. Then we get a redo of this season.

Reactions: TU4ever2
I was just too disgusted to post...

Zero 3rd down offense...

Penalties... Penalties... Penalties...

Monty is terrible as his own OC...

Monty needs to fire his OC and move-on...

Well. not gonna go out of my way to watch any more tulsa games this year. we'll win a few. but i don't care. these players deserve a real coach. Easily a bowl caliber defense and could be a solid offense as well. Monty is and has been the problem for years. #defundmonty.

I’m eagerly waiting for someone to tell me how we’re actually pretty good because the ESPN BPIMLBNCAANAMBLA ratings value a close loss

There is real talent on this team, especially defense. We are limited by our HC and receivers/ST coaches. Remove them and watch what happens.

Do we still get everybody back next year due to covid? Fire him and let Gillespie hire an OC. Then we get a redo of this season.

Yes if they want to come back. The NCAA ruled no eligibility will be lost this season.

I agree we should get rid of Monty, put our DC as interim and let him hire an OC (ring the milkman) let's see what he can do as a coach this year. Gives us time to inquire about interest from evryone, if he works out we can keep him.

Monty better take the absolute complete blame for this loss. I dont want to hear a single "we" statement. It better all be "i"
I suck at my job. I shouldn't be a head coach at any level. I failed these kids who deserved to win this game. I resign. Wishful thinking
As depressed as we are, imagine thinking you are going to be a top 4 team and then barley beating somebody like us

Reactions: HuffyCane
As depressed as we are, imagine thinking you are going to be a top 4 team and then barley beating somebody like us
Pokes should be used to that. Every year they are like the Woj season, “this is the year we’ve been waiting for.” OU will stomp them like usual, they will be in the middle of the pack, and life goes on.

I actually disagree. We have recruited pretty well, we have enough talent to be at the top of our league. Our coaching does not allow that to happen however.

Meaning that if anyone else was coaching us we would be winners.

Last I checked we have always had talented players. Meanwhile we are likely to watch a legacy thrive on a top 25 academy team.

Had covid not hit or the ACL Shamari perhaps one of the most talented Tulsa schools and TU running backs would have wasted his career watching his head coach sabotage wins, to fail at proving he is an offensive coaching genius.

No positives for us , just negatives for them

How is beating a team that was clearly better than you a negative?

If we swapped coaches TU runs the score up because our talent level is not and has not been the issue. The QB's were never the issue. There is only one problem with this football team and it is the head coach. It has been the head coach.

We need to be thankful Blankenship recruited the hell out of Evan's and he was good enough to overcome even Monty's absolute and complete ineptitude. Wonder what Blankenship could have done with a junior and senior like that.

The only silver lining we have is our worthless AD is gone, so we won't have to worry about him sticking his thumb in this.

If we swapped coaches TU runs the score up because our talent level is not and has not been the issue. The QB's were never the issue. There is only one problem with this football team and it is the head coach. It has been the head coach.

We need to be thankful Blankenship recruited the hell out of Evan's and he was good enough to overcome even Monty's absolute and complete ineptitude. Wonder what Blankenship could have done with a junior and senior like that.

The only silver lining we have is our worthless AD is gone, so we won't have to worry about him sticking his thumb in this.

I agree with you , I’m not saying anything positive about us, all I ever said was imagine being OSU thinking you are going to be a top 4 team and then barely beating us ( who are horrible )

OSU was fortunate to win. Starting QB goes out on the second drive of the game. Backup QB hadn’t take a snap in practice practically all summer/fall. Third string QB looks like me out there. Missed opportunity for TU.

Yeah not sure how they thought theyd be a top 4 team. Defense didnt do anything special, any normal oc would of had at least 21-28 points. Our DL had their way with the OL for alot of the game. Strictly comes down to an incompetent coach. And I'm sure the players are wondering what hes doing too

Monty's coaching is so bad it makes our own fans discount the talent on this team. It is such an indictment. Kragthorpe would have dreamed about this much talent coming in. Graham would have been delighted and it ranks up there with some of his best teams. Our talent level is top 25 caliber I saw one person on that field playing for OSU clearly better than us.

We have routinely competed with top 25 teams. Our talent is so good and it is being outrageously wasted by a coach who can't set up his team to win. Our coach is such an anchor it's quite absurd.

A freaking delay of game out of a time out, called to avoid a delay of game on a 3rd and 1. No talent can overcome that.

Such a downer of an outcome. Here's to hoping we win out the season and this game goes away. I think we'll make some noise in the AAC. If this OSU defense is really the best since the '80's then we're gonna blow some people up this season. Who knows though...

FIRE MONTY NOW!!!!! How the hell do you get a delay of game penalty after calling a ****ing time out
That was the most gruesome penalty of the game . Montgomery cost his players the game with horrendous game management, six years on the job and he craps down his leg .

Should have never pulled the plug on Blankenship, Montgomer’s first two years were all Bill’s recruits. Tulsa has a lousy track record of firing it’s “Sons” who loved their university and had to put up with administrative betrayal . Radar got the biggest shaft of the bunch with zero support .

Reactions: TU 1978
Should have never pulled the plug on Blankenship, Montgomer’s first two years were all Bill’s recruits. Tulsa has a lousy track record of firing it’s “Sons” who loved their university and had to put up with administrative betrayal . Radar got the biggest shaft of the bunch with zero support .
Blank was nearly this bad. The only thing he did better was manage the clock. His play calling and schemes were horrible.

Blank was nearly this bad. The only thing he did better was manage the clock. His play calling and schemes were horrible.
Ya it was time for Blankenship to go too, he was just as hard headed at calling plays as Monty

Great idea. Then the Olympic sports could start playing with ORU in the Summit League. Sounds like fun.
Basketball fans will love those conference games with N. Dakota, NDSU, So. Dakota or Southland teams like S.F. Austin, SHSU, etc...

Or just maybe he actually needed the time to develop the QB he recruited for his system? Because we have some hall monitor with no ties to this school who has used the excuse of a QB for four years, after two years of living fat off the recruits an alum put in.

With so few alums it's amazing how :crap:ty the school and its fanbase can be with them. Often while they are just trying to keep the school going in a bad situation.

The most penalized team in college football last year and 15 penalties in one game this year. The team has no discipline and no direction. That is all on Monty. No third down conversions, how does that even happen? Our defense looked great but our offense never gave then a break. This could be a long season.

Last edited:
The most penalized team in college football last year and 15 penalties in one game this year. The team has no discipline and no direction. That is all on Monty. No third down conversions, how does that even happen? Our defense looked great but our offense never have then a break. This could be a long season.

The team is trending in the wrong direction. More penalties than last year's average-per-game. Montey jinxed the FG kicker and took 3 off the board on a time-out call (due to the lethargy in getting the FG team out there) when the guy actually kicked it through, then the kicker missed an actual field goal to tie the game in the 4th from like 12 yards out... So special teams hasn't been addressed (punter has a cupcake leg as well), the play calling was terrible (hand-off up the middle every 1st and 2nd down and a missed pass on 3rd and long) and very predictable, penalties out the arse and peetering away a 1st half lead. Due to COVID, I've kinda lost interest in all professional and apparently college sports due to the politics being mixed in and players thinking they are social heroes (OSU and LeBron are good examples of this). It would seem universities are going to be economically challenged due to a lack of attendance and fan support and we're stuck with hum-drum Montgomery... Very deflating all around

At the very least he did win a conference championship and Liberty Bowl, something that his predecessor couldn’t do.
Why do we have such a problem with metro high school coaches winning with the previous coaches players in football and basketball then losing big time with their own recruits see John Phillips and bill Blankenship.

Why do we have such a problem with metro high school coaches winning with the previous coaches players in football and basketball then losing big time with their own recruits see John Phillips and bill Blankenship.
Because being a good high school coach doesnt always translate into being a good recruiter or knowing what it takes to put a college staff together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT