ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 News/Notes Statement from Philip Montgomery

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
“There is no place in the game of football or our program for the actions that occurred after Thursday’s bowl game. It is not who we are. It is not part of our culture. It will not be tolerated. I’m sick about this ending to what was an otherwise incredible season for a talented team.”

Philip Montgomery, Head Football Coach, The University of Tulsa

Statement from Rick Dickson...

“The University of Tulsa expects our teams to set an example for excellence in sportsmanship and exhibit our values, including integrity of character. We also expect our coaches to hold our student-athletes accountable for behavior on and off the field.

"Regardless of cause or the outcome of any investigations, we are extremely disappointed by the actions that followed Thursday’s bowl game. Be assured this incident is being thoroughly reviewed and the appropriate disciplinary measures will be taken.

"The behavior did not reflect the TU values we seek to instill in future leaders. I apologize to the loyal alumni and fans who witnessed such a troubling end to an otherwise successful season.”

Rick Dickson, Interim Director of Athletics
The University of Tulsa

Missing from both statements is Montgomery's resignation.

My problem with Monty's is this is exactly what you have been allowing all season, this isn't a one off incident and other than this statement he hasn't had anything to say about all the garbage they have been doing.

I never hear him talk about discipline, period, not personal, not team, not self. Discipline and accountability seem to be nonexistent not just in his program but in his vocabulary.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
There have been four arrests within the program in the last two seasons...... that’s just what we know of. Imagine what is really going on. There is no discipline TU4ever2 is right on the money with his assessment.

Reactions: HuffyCane
My problem with Monty's is this is exactly what you have been allowing all season, this isn't a one off incident and other than this statement he hasn't had anything to say about all the garbage they have been doing.

I never hear him talk about discipline, period, not personal, not team, not self. Discipline and accountability seem to be nonexistent not just in his program but in his vocabulary.
I think the Monty didnt fall far from the Briles..

There have been four arrests within the program in the last two seasons...... that’s just what we know of. Imagine what is really going on. There is no discipline TU4ever2 is right on the money with his assessment.

Not sure how you’re supposed to prevent two players from having weed and a gun in their room or getting a DUI. If the threat of an arrest doesn’t do it, there’s not really anything a coach can do about it either(and drugs and alcohol stuff is preached by coaches constantly). A legit criticism might be that we’re recruiting the wrong type of players, but then you’ve gotta say that we shouldn’t have recruited TK Wilkerson in the first place.

Amen. I’ve never seen a program that has staff and players after a game attempting to come up into the stands to fight fans. How in the world does anyone continue to defend this version of Tulsa football?

I don’t think they actually would have done it. But they were attempting it to taunt and scare fans. The trash talking between the players and the fans throughout the game was over the top. Comments here and there happen. That’s cool. Climbing up onto the railing like you are going to come after somebody is both crazy and unacceptable. That happened at UCF. I saw it At a certain point, I don’t care how much others on here conflate loyalty to this guy with loyalty to the program, enough is enough.

Amen. I’ve never seen a program that has staff and players after a game attempting to come up into the stands to fight fans. I don’t think they actually would have done it. But they were attempting it to taunt and scare fans. They trash talking between the players and the fans throughout the game was over the top. Comments here and there happen. That’s cool. Climbing up onto the railing like you are going to come after somebody is both crazy and unacceptable. That happened at UCF. At a certain point, I don’t care how much others on here conflate loyalty to this guy with loyalty to the program, enough is enough.

Didn’t this also happen at UCF in basketball? I’m not arguing your point, just wondering if I’m remembering that right

Didn’t this also happen at UCF in basketball? I’m not arguing your point, just wondering if I’m remembering that right
Not sure. I quit going to TU/UCF basketball games after we lost big leads like 6 years in a row.

Had to dig for a second but it was Martins that went into the stands

Yeah. Brandon is actually an old acquaintance. He’s the Chris Harmon of the UCF board. What ever he says happened, you can bet it happened.

I was talking about just before halftime at the UCF football game this year.

Yeah. Brandon is actually an old acquaintance. He’s the Chris Harmon of the UCF board. What ever he says happened, you can bet it happened.

I was talking about just before halftime at the UCF football game this year.

Right. Just confirming that we had a similar issue in basketball. UCF fans must have some top notch trash talk

Biggest criticism of Monty from me for a long time has been that he always seems like he’d rather be a player’s best friend than their coach. Never once have seen him chewing anyone’s ass but an official. That probably has a lot to do with why we lead the country in every kind of penalty there is, and could be why we just had a brawl on TV. I just don’t think it has anything to do with a DUI

Last edited:
Y’all remember that time Santana ran on to the field as a redshirt and grabbed a ref’s flag and threw it back at the ref like twenty yards down field? That gave either Houston or Arkansas, I forget which, a first down in a tight game and an eventual touchdown. How do you do that and ever see the field?

Biggest criticism of Monty from me is that he always seems like he’d rather be a player’s best friend than their coach. Never once have seen him chewing anyone’s ass but an official. That probably has a lot to do with why we lead the country in every kind of penalty there is, and could be why we just had a brawl on TV. I just don’t think it has anything to do with a DUI
Some much this.

Y’all remember that time Santana ran on to the field as a redshirt and grabbed a ref’s flag and threw it back at the ref like twenty yards down field? That gave either Houston or Arkansas, I forget which, a first down in a tight game and an eventual touchdown. How do you do that and ever see the field?
Can't remember if he got suspended, but he should have been suspended for two or three games over that, and told he was on probation for the rest of the year.(Meaning if you do it again you will be kicked off the team.)

Right. Just confirming that we had a similar issue in basketball. UCF fans must have some top notch trash talk
Weird group. They are totally overboard in tailgating. Extreme drunks and lots of taunting, property damage on Oklahoma plated cars. Throwing food from tailgates at little kids in Tulsa cheerleader outfits etc. I’m talking about people 18-49 doing this. In the stands, lots of GTL shirtless flexing and bow ups. Cussing TU people out. Etc. In one well publicized incident, the President of UCF apologized to the University of Texas for someone urinating on an elderly fan who found himself seated in the UCF student section. Then after the game, win or lose, they are all nice saying we are classy and wishing we were larger, etc. OLeary even said the posters on here are classy.

Biggest criticism of Monty from me for a long time has been that he always seems like he’d rather be a player’s best friend than their coach. Never once have seen him chewing anyone’s ass but an official. That probably has a lot to do with why we lead the country in every kind of penalty there is, and could be why we just had a brawl on TV. I just don’t think it has anything to do with a DUI
Yeah. The come back on that is always “Today’s players won’t respond to discipline like that.” In some cases, that may be true. In most cases, it’s either guys taking the easy way out or they are intentionally taking behavior problems because other programs won’t.

Yeah. The come back on that is always “Today’s players won’t respond to discipline like that.” In some cases, that may be true. In most cases, it’s either guys taking the easy way out or they are intentionally taking behavior problems because other programs won’t.

I mean there is definitely a line that crosses over into abuse that is no longer tolerated, but it’s far beyond getting chewed out. Frank Haith to me is a good example of what I’d call a “players coach” which seems to be what Monty strives for. But Haith, although he’s very laid back, will really get into a guy if he deserves it.

I mean there is definitely a line that crosses over into abuse that is no longer tolerated, but it’s far beyond getting chewed out. Frank Haith to me is a good example of what I’d call a “players coach” which seems to be what Monty strives for. But Haith, although he’s very laid back, will really get into a guy if he deserves it.
He’s got his rules. And the boys know them. They respect him and the process. And they know they won’t play and what practice will be like if they break them.

Tubby could discipline you just by staring at the players. Heck, I’m in the stands and don’t want to disappoint him. Montgomery has never had and doesn’t appear to want to try to have that level of authority. He wants to dance and throw water with his son.

He’s got his rules. And the boys know them. They respect him and the process. And they know they won’t play and what practice will be like if they break them.

Tubby could discipline you just by staring at the players. Heck, I’m in the stands and don’t want to disappoint him. Montgomery has never had and doesn’t appear to want to try to have that level of authority. He wants to dance and throw water with his son.

i can kind of understand the approach when you’re in the middle of your third straight losing season and the most important thing is keeping players from quitting on you, but not when you’re winning. That’s when you get buy in

It''s a matter of lines, and not yardlines. You draw them up from the start, and you hold to them, no matter who the player is.

If I recall this had some racial or ethnic slur to it. Martins was ALWAYS the guy that was calming people down, mainly Joiner. To set him off it had to be pretty bad.

The Tubby state and glare. You never wanted to be on the receiving end of that one

Weird group. They are totally overboard in tailgating. Extreme drunks and lots of taunting, property damage on Oklahoma plated cars. Throwing food from tailgates at little kids in Tulsa cheerleader outfits etc. I’m talking about people 18-49 doing this. In the stands, lots of GTL shirtless flexing and bow ups. Cussing TU people out. Etc. In one well publicized incident, the President of UCF apologized to the University of Texas for someone urinating on an elderly fan who found himself seated in the UCF student section. Then after the game, win or lose, they are all nice saying we are classy and wishing we were larger, etc. OLeary even said the posters on here are classy.
Re:UCF fans - first CUSA Championship Game at the Citrus Bowl I was walking by myself to the stadium wearing a TU shirt and hat. Had to dodge multiple beer cups/cans and listen to all kind of vulgar taunts by students and older fans. None of the beer hit me but not for lack of trying. I just shook my head and kept walking. It was so satisfying after that win.

Arkansas , I was there and remember seeing him do it

If I recall this had some racial or ethnic slur to it. Martins was ALWAYS the guy that was calming people down, mainly Joiner. To set him off it had to be pretty bad.
No. That was a similar incident at the same time in the NBA. They have an epic heckler that sits behind the visitors bench. And he said a series of things that set Martins off. So the guy moved over to the baseline when Martins saw more minutes as a sixth man late in the game. The guy jawboned the whole game and Martins said he would see him after the game. So he did. You can hear parts of the exchange on the tape. There wasn’t anything racial about it. Brandon wrote about it in The Dungeon as I recall. Chris may remember. If anything like that happened, I would definitely remember it. They banned the fan.

Martins had a temper. Don’t forget the time he elbowed that guy in Houston in the throat for running his mouth, got the flagrant for knocking him to the floor, the teams gathered around and Joiner got ejected defending him. He challenged the Memphis bench. There was the incident in East Carolina. Probably more. He was the first true Tulsa tough guy in maybe 25 years.

Last edited:
Re:UCF fans - first CUSA Championship Game at the Citrus Bowl I was walking by myself to the stadium wearing a TU shirt and hat. Had to dodge multiple beer cups/cans and listen to all kind of vulgar taunts by students and older fans. None of the beer hit me but not for lack of trying. I just shook my head and kept walking. It was so satisfying after that win.
That was out of control. So out of control it was used as justification for building the stadium on campus to improve security and move it away from the bars of Church Street. A cop shot an undercover cop. Multiple arsons on cars, burning couches. I was vomited on. I don’t know a single person that went to that game that didn’t experience or witness what you describe. The guy from Texas that got pissed on was their first home game on campus. It calmed down considerably after that.

Reactions: TU1NNJ

Anyone looked at where his son was during the melee? Was he involved in the trash talk?

Like dealing with the Samoans in Hawaii...

Biggest criticism of Monty from me for a long time has been that he always seems like he’d rather be a player’s best friend than their coach.

FWIW, this was also Kragthorpe’s MO during his time at Tulsa and he’s universally beloved in retrospect.

Reactions: URedskin54
FWIW, this was also Kragthorpe’s MO during his time at Tulsa and he’s universally beloved in retrospect.

Interesting. I was young and wasn’t around any of the boards at that time, but my read on him was that he was kind of low-key scary lol. I’ll take your word for it though.

Reactions: ctt8410
Interesting. I was young and wasn’t around any of the boards at that time, but my read on him was that he was kind of low-key scary lol. I’ll take your word for it though.
I wouldn't say scary so much as intense, methodical, & focused.

Kragthorpe was like the the middle age suburban dad in touch with his feelings. It was different, the players loved to play for him and didn't want to disappoint him. He did do some discipline but it was rare because it rarely happened and probably goes some to that who you recruit.

Graham was a kick your ass and hug you after coach, perfect for the sort of driven, chip on their shoulder kids he got. He kept them on the straight and narrow trying to focus that edge on the field.

Tubby was old school, Robinson was too, Bill Self was just raw and could be unfiltered you knew where you stood. Phillips was a cross of Kragthorpe and Monty.

Any expectations on when the schools, conferences and the ncaa will issue a report? And the penalties.

I really want to know, I really want to know. Ae we there yet dad? Please, can I have that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT