ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Saturday-Coach Monty w/ offer

Beautiful Saturday for the Tulsa spring game ! I'm really looking forward to seeing our QBs in live action today!

Purchased 4 tickets with the offer great deal. Very long line to get tickets. Most all the seats in the chair back seating area appear to be sold by the half time break. Best promo at TU that I can remember, thanks coach!

Too bad it was just limited sections.

Too bad it was just limited sections.

I've read conflicted reports about this. I wasn't at the spring game but saw on twitter it was easy/west only but then just recently that the BOGO did include the end zone.

BOGO offer included every section of the stadium. Promotion had and overwhelming amount of success and we are excited for the upcoming season! Stay tuned...more changes and offers may be coming before the spring is over!
I think getting a few more butts in the seats at a lower ticket price/discount/bogo with concessions jumping the revenue is ideal for this institution, considering our lack of a large alumni base. The University should make at least as much with the added concessions, and very likely more. The crowds will help to improve our recruiting if maintained. And hopefully it will help to build the fan base such that 4 or 5 years down the line we can start cutting them out slowly without hurting our crowd size. I hope they don't just do one or two promotions. Consistent promotions like this are a good thing for us.

I think getting a few more butts in the seats at a lower ticket price/discount/bogo with concessions jumping the revenue is ideal for this institution, considering our lack of a large alumni base. The University should make at least as much with the added concessions, and very likely more. The crowds will help to improve our recruiting if maintained. And hopefully it will help to build the fan base such that 4 or 5 years down the line we can start cutting them out slowly without hurting our crowd size. I hope they don't just do one or two promotions. Consistent promotions like this are a good thing for us.

Attendance is critical. Even if they do a game day family pack for 4 tix for $20 bucks.
They'll make $40-$50 in concessions and the stadium will be fuller which draws recruits and more fans.

If we can sustain success and do killer ticket promotions for a couple of years we'll get people hooked and be able to raise prices or stop the crazy promo's.

Get fans in the stands and whatever cost and the rest take care of its self.

Attendance is critical. Even if they do a game day family pack for 4 tix for $20 bucks.
They'll make $40-$50 in concessions and the stadium will be fuller which draws recruits and more fans.

If we can sustain success and do killer ticket promotions for a couple of years we'll get people hooked and be able to raise prices or stop the crazy promo's.

I agree 100%. Cheap entertainment was why my parents began getting season tickets when I was a kid. Even though the team was bad most of those years (mid-90s). It led to me becoming a life long fan.

Get new people out on cheap season tix to see how great the games are and they'll keep coming back, IMO.

Just remember that Sodexo is getting 75+% of the money from concessions and lower ticket prices lowers the value in casual consumers' minds.

My family was barely middle class. We lived North of 11th and West of Sheridan. No parents or grandparents were college graduates. TU was our team and I was taken at age 4 and up. It was affordable, fun, and my earliest memory was a 77-0 rout over a team known as Tampa (not the Bucs). And, another life long fan.

Just remember that Sodexo is getting 75+% of the money from concessions and lower ticket prices lowers the value in casual consumers' minds.
As bad of a job as Sodexo does on concessions, I don't know why TU doesn't try to do it themselves. I'm sure there are good reasons, but I question handing them 75%+

Reactions: astonmartin708
As bad of a job as Sodexo does on concessions, I don't know why TU doesn't try to do it themselves. I'm sure there are good reasons, but I question handing them 75%+
Because if TU did it themselves, they'd have to coordinate bringing in all the food for the cafeteria, they'd have to hire all of the workers in the student union, they'd have to do the deals with all of the restaurants in the student union. It's why companies use other businesses for any goods and services. It costs less and is easier.

Because if TU did it themselves, they'd have to coordinate bringing in all the food for the cafeteria, they'd have to hire all of the workers in the student union, they'd have to do the deals with all of the restaurants in the student union. It's why companies use other businesses for any goods and services. It costs less and is easier.
Thanks, I figured that was the case, it just seemed like they could do it for less than 75%+. Probably not though.

I thought the people working the concessions were all volunteers?
This is true, but, Sodexo contracts with community non-profit organizations to man the events and provides them with a percentage of the proceeds for their service.

So it's contracted to Sodexo who contracts the concession labor to volunteers?
25% to volunteer org, 50% to Sodexo. %25 to TU.

SMH...
I forgot about them using volunteers. So you are saying they contribute to the volunteer organization not just sodexo? That's a lot of money going to the 'volunteer' organization. What is that organization called?

I forgot about them using volunteers. So you are saying they contribute to the volunteer organization not just sodexo? That's a lot of money going to the 'volunteer' organization. What is that organization called?
Not sure on the percentages, but Sodexo takes in all funds and then pays the volunteers and unuversity.

25% of more sales is still more to net to TU.

Is Reynolds a different situation? If those are volunteers in concession stands too, they are a heck of a lot more motivated than at Chapman.

Good point.

A butt in a seat with 25% of a soda, a snickers,and a hot dog going to TU is better than 25% of what an empty seat gets you.

We kind of already established that TU gets 25% of the profit. Unless you doubt that fact? It is just a matter of whether 25% of the profit plus the extra tickets sold is enough to offset the tickets that would have already been sold at regular price, but were discounted. I don't think you would exeed that by much, if at all. So you at least want to come close to matching it.

25% of more sales is still more to net to TU.

Is Reynolds a different situation? If those are volunteers in concession stands too, they are a heck of a lot more motivated than at Chapman.

I can confirm they are also volunteers at Reynolds. After seeing an older ladyvolunteering for her church multiple times and having small talk each time I began donating a few dollars here and there to them as her whole group were fantastic. I blame the booze for my eagerness to donate the money.

More folks spending money, even for discounted ticket, and spending a few bucks at the concessions is still more money than an empty seat generates. Butts in the seats generate dollars. Plain and simple if your not in attendance there is not one dime made off of you. If your there at least a little money is made and the environment will be a hell of a lot better....

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
More fans in the seats also equals more sales for TU t-shirts and other stuff. Long term you are building a fan base for the future.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
More fans in the seats also equals more sales for TU t-shirts and other stuff. Long term you are building a fan base for the future.

EXACTLY!!!

Neither I nor my family had no natural connection to TU. My dad (a Cornell grad) was a native New Yorker followed the team and exposed me. Without that casual fan exposure TU would never had been on my radar as an option for earning my degree and I be chanting Boomer or Gooner today. Exposure to the product created a synthesis reaction and made me a fan, my three kids, and now I'm working on the grand kids. My kids are Oklahoma City Univ. and Arkansas (that one killed me) alums and they are still huge TU fans and attend games and buy gear every year when I can get them in town.

Hardly anyone talked about Tulsa when I was a kid growing up in Broken Arrow not very long ago. I remember being at school when OU won the championship in 2000, but I certainly never heard anything about Tulsa's basketball team that year. It seems like that's a massive community that Tulsa is just whiffing on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT