ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2021 Mens Soccer

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
TU men on the road in Orlando to take on #10 UCF. TU gets a goal from FR Alex Neimhard in the 9th minute and holds on to take a 1-0 win. TU plays a lot of FR. 2 FR forwards. Will Edwards (FR from Jenks) played most of the game when the starter went out with an injury about 15 minutes in). TUs back line is solid but still loses focus at times. Lucas Klein did a good job in goal but I’m not sure UCF ever really got a great look on goal.
If you follow soccer, Neimhard is going to be a special player. Big and physical, can turn in a dime, and he can hit some rockets.

TU takes on SMU today in Dallas, 3:30pm. Yesterday they trained at the Cowboys indoor facility through some alumni connection. Good stuff. My guess is that’d be a better place to play the game than Westcott today

So is this spring soccer for real? Or is it glorified scrimmages?
Official NCAA season. Only AAC games. TU will play 10 and that will determine who make the conference championship and ultimately the NCAA tournament. Some conferences (ACC) played a fall season as well and I believe that was a silly season type of thing as I believe only the Spring results will be considered for NCAA tournament consideration. TU men lost a game to weather last weekend and I don’t know if it will be made up (vs Memphis). As Tom put in a preseason video, 10 games in 10 wks on Saturdays only right now.
TU looked pretty resilient in its first game with a stout back 6 not giving UCF much room in the attacking 1/3. Most of UCFs chances came off of long crosses. Not sure TUs GK had to make more than 1-2 saves. Attack is also really physical for TU. Alex Neimhard is a really skilled, big physical forward at the 9 and when the ball gets on his foot near the area it usually means a good chance is coming. Ball just seems to stick to his foot. In that respect he reminds me of Ryan Pore although Neimhard is not nearly as quick nor does he have the pinpoint precision on his shots Ryan did. TUs two top attackers are FR so the future is bright. And TU has an experienced MF. Overall Tom has a solid squad this Spring that I think will surprise quite a few in the AAC.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It’s the best and most rounded squad we had in a while.

The ten games in ten weeks thing started out as a compromise to keep the guys in good condition after the Fall was cancelled. A year off is a lot to ask a soccer player (and his conditioning team). For juniors and seniors it would make their later marketability almost nil. Not to mention divert incoming freshmen with borderline talent into the pros who can go that route abd assume that risk. Once the season, which was pretty much designed as a run out was on, then the competition took over. It will be a legit mini season.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Game vs SMU in Dallas postponed due to possible COVID cases in the SMU program. The league should count this as a forfeit on SMU’s part. TU has already been down there for 3 days prepping to play and you cancel the game day of? That’s BS.

Well, I made an appearance at the first home men’s soccer game tonight. The stands are about 5% full of people, but I wasn’t allowed in because I’m not on “The List”. So unbelievably stupid. There are seats that I could sit in opposite the benches where I wouldn’t be within 50 ft of any other person. And we’re OUTSIDE for crying out loud. TU doing their best nanny state impression...

TU won 3-1 by the way. I agree that TU can safely allow fans while also following COVID safety protocols.

Back in the polls ranked 22/25!
I was able to watch the game on ESPN+ last night. UCF has a lot of talent in the attack. Their defenders lack some toughness in 1 v 1 situations. TU consistently found their way into threatening positions when they had possession. UCF played much better this game than they did in the 1st game. They certainly know how to get going forward. They're a little snake bit right now on the finishing side.

TU has a stretch where they can do some damage and really cement themselves for the postseason.

TU Men lose 2-1 at USF. TU opened the scoring in the 2nd half and then gave up 2 late goals. I wasn't able to watch the game but I don't think EPSN + had it anyway.

TU Men lose 2-1 at USF. TU opened the scoring in the 2nd half and then gave up 2 late goals. I wasn't able to watch the game but I don't think EPSN + had it anyway.
We were going to drive up for the game, but USF is prohibiting fans at games despite indoor restaurants and bars having no restrictions in Florida and spring break is wide open.

It was on ESPN+ - TU dominated the first half and half of the second. However, once we scored we changed our gameplan. It was almost like we went into prevent defense in football. I will never understand the idea behind that. It never works. We got lax on the offense which turned into a couple breakaways.

We always said in the soccer press box that the most dangerous time for your defense in a game was during the 5 minutes after you scored a goal to tie or bring yourself ahead one. Everyone gets complacent.

So much going on right now in the world of sports, it's hard for me to keep up. I missed to game as well. I want to watch it but it will have to wait since today also has Olympic qualifying going on, NCAA tournament as well...

Ugh...the men seem to have hit a wall. Lost their last 2 games by a combined 7-0 after going the previous 3.5 games only giving up 1 goal. They get USF at home on Saturday. Almost a must win to keep their regular season title hopes alive.

Ugh...the men seem to have hit a wall. Lost their last 2 games by a combined 7-0 after going the previous 3.5 games only giving up 1 goal. They get USF at home on Saturday. Almost a must win to keep their regular season title hopes alive.
Finals dude. We always seem to fall apart when the guys have to start cramming.

Finals dude. We always seem to fall apart when the guys have to start cramming.
It also appears Meinhard took a knock somewhere in those games so TU played without him. The other forward (FR) #9, took a knock early against USF and left. Will Edwards played the rest of the game in his spot. Edwards looked fantastic creating several dangerous opportunities, one of which ended up being a lost chance when Barkley whiffed on the centering pass and the back post attacker had his shot block over the goal line for a corner. It was a bizarre game for TU. Lots of good attack and then some not so good defending and possession. TU broke through off a header flicked inside the back post off a corner with about 8 minutes left. The game was delayed over an hour at the start because of the storms Friday night. Then with about 2 and half minutes left, the lights at the soccer complex went out. When the lights came back on, so did the sprinkler system on the field.

TU got a little lucky as USF rattled 2 shots off the cross bar/post in the game.

On to the AAC tournament. TU faces Temple on Thursday as the #2 seed in Orlando. Unfortunately, TU has not scored in either game against Temple this season (0-0 draw here, 4-0 loss in Philly). Will need to find some of the scoring back.

All of the ball has to go over all of the line. Im not entirely sure that happened and I don't think anyone could see it. But yeah, that was totally a goal and a total home job. You can tell the way the keeper reacts, he initially gave body language like EFF!

All of the ball has to go over all of the line. Im not entirely sure that happened and I don't think anyone could see it. But yeah, that was totally a goal and a total home job. You can tell the way the keeper reacts, he initially gave body language like EFF!
re what is the score?

Winner gets into the College Cup tourney and conference crown. Loser gets neither.

We've had several good chances, just no luck. We are pressing and we are holding the ball when we want to. This game is winnable. They are significantly bigger and faster at several positions though.

14 minutes left. Still 1-0. Yellow issued to UCF. Direct kick on goal by Tulsa pending.

Not our night. These looks got better and better. The one at end was a heart breaker.

UCF goalie is really good.

Tough break. Open goal shot missed from less than 5 feet from goal with a minute left. He had to shoot off the less favored foot cross body. Really tough. Still a great great season and so much to be proud of. Great season guys. Thanks for the work.

Tough break. Open goal shot missed from less than 5 feet from goal with a minute left. He had to shoot off the less favored foot cross body. Really tough. Still a great great season and so much to be proud of. Great season guys. Thanks for the work.
Will we get an ncaa bid?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT