ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina St Game Thread

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
We should win by 15+ but probably a close game until the last 3 minutes.

I don't have any other insight, just bored and procrastinating at work.

Two non-tournament weekday day games this year. I guess if people aren't going to come out and watch us struggle against these crappy teams we might as well make sure everyone gets to bed on time.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I'm thankful for the e-mail from TU yesterday alerting me that the game was at 1:00 today. I was geared up to come out tonight. I would have thought that the crowd was really light.

Playing well early. I’m disappointed they waved off Hill’s 3. Not much home court advantage.

We’ve hit a point in the game where neither team can score. Korita is playing some very good D. I didn’t know that 5 seconds closely guarded was still a thing, I thought they dropped that.

I don't really feel like we're playing bad, but SCST is playing way over their heads right now. Half their made shots have been prayers

Jackson hasn't done much lately. We need to get all the pieces going at the same time.

Much better outside shooting that half, 6-12 from deep with Korita, Horne, and Jones each having 2. Hopefully we can come out running in the second half and put them away.

Jones improving rapidly offensively.

Still think Earley better than Ugboh but both need a lot of playing time.
Our perimeter defense better this half.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Forgot about the game. Tuned in for second half and looking good.

Minutes and production for Earley.

Smiles on all the players faces first time all year.

Really nice win. Is that the largest margin of victory we've had in Frank's tenure? Gotta be top 5

Now that Igbanu and Horne have uncorked against a crap team, they need to show they can keep it going against a decent Vanderbilt on the road. Will still be nervous at the tip.

Excellent defense in that second half. I’m assuming it’s Wainwright’s presence but that man D looked really good. Best shooting we’ve had all season, I’m hoping it’s a trend and not a one off. If we can continue to shoot like that we will have a good season. SC State is not good but it’s nice to beat anyone by 31 points. 12 made threes and Jones was the leading scorer with 18 and 5 made threes.

Reposted cuz I left out an important word.

Can't believe Joiner not uncorking his offensive play to previous levels seems insignificant to the play of the team.

Agree, but both are improving....Maybe Ugboh is rawer, but you can
see a lot more potential in him than his early season appearances...He
does some things I really like....Quick to set screens, and goes to the
basket after the pick....Also gets the ball back out quickly when he
doesn't have anything....Will be a good rebounder before all is said
and done....

Jackson and Rachal have made us a decent to good offensive
rebounding team....Something we didn't do last season....

This was our most complete game is a long time....Even if we had
shot it more poorly, it still would have been.....

Loved the games of Horne, Jones, Korita, and Hill.....All looked like
we would have hoped.....

Reactions: Bill Lowery
He
does some things I really like....Quick to set screens, and goes to the
basket after the pick....Also gets the ball back out quickly when he
doesn't have anything....
Will be a good rebounder before all is said
and done....

Jackson and Rachal have made us a decent to good offensive
rebounding team....Something we didn't do last season....

This was our most complete game is a long time....Even if we had
shot it more poorly, it still would have been.....

Loved the games of Horne, Jones, Korita, and Hill.....All looked like
we would have hoped.....

Very good performance today.

I don't think that S. Carolina St. is any worse than SE Louisiana. TU just played much better today.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Two 3's for korita at the end of the half.

Yes....He hit three out of four for the game? I re-watched the game on
ESPN3, and he obviously has been working on his stroke....His follow thru
after the release of the ball looked more complete....The arc of his shot
seemed a little higher....

Speaking of strokes, Jones may have the smoothest one on the team....
He really squares up before his release....Other than the one he released
too early in the shot clock, and before the team got in position, every one
of his shots looked good...

It may be just me, but this team seems to be coming together much
faster than last years.....For one thing, the new players have adapted
more quickly than last season's, who didn't turn out so well.....Rachal,
Hill, Jones, and Earley have all shown they can contribute, and Ugboh
is starting to show promise....

This is the first year in a while that I haven’t been concerned with frequent subs. I think he is leaving groups together longer and not making mass substitutions. My only concern is I wish Earley and Ugboh could get more playing time in games where we should be pulling away. Igbanu can play with either for a short time. Jones probably has to play if we need shooters as he is rounding into good shooting form.

Biggest concern I've seen this season? Hill's three point shooting. He's at an ice cold .053% with +3 attempts per game.

Biggest concern I've seen this season? Hill's three point shooting. He's at an ice cold .053% with +3 attempts per game.
IMO, he’ll be fine. He’s got a good looking shot, I think it’s just a slow start with a still relatively small sample size. Also, he did hit a three in this last game that came off his fingers just a hair after the shot clock expired and ended up getting waved off after review.

IMO, he’ll be fine. He’s got a good looking shot, I think it’s just a slow start with a still relatively small sample size. Also, he did hit a three in this last game that came off his fingers just a hair after the shot clock expired and ended up getting waved off after review.
I agree, his shot looks nice... but I think the extended 3 point line is really messing with him. Also, he wasn't really an exceptional shooter in AAU either. Maybe he needs contacts or something?

Still, 3 shots with .053% chance of going in every game is basically 3 wasted possessions.

He's made 1 out of 19 on the season. I'm pretty sure most of the people on this board could do better than that. (Not bashing the rest of his game which I really love)

Even with the hot shooting against SCState we're still #306 out of ~350 in 3PT %. That's scary bad.

FWIW, Hill shot 100% from 3 in the Vandy game! Admittedly, it was an even smaller sample size (1 for 1), but I’ll take it!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
ADVERTISEMENT