ADVERTISEMENT

Some Perspective on the Post Game Show...

hotterthanyourhusbandTU

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I thought this was interesting...

My Dad wasn't able to watch (or listen) to the game yesterday...

He tuned into the post game show at the beginning of the interview with the players...He listened all the way through the interview with Coach B...

The way the interviews were conducted, he thought TU won! At the very end, when Bruce mentioned the final score, he was shocked!

Not good...They become excited with a 10-pt loss a team mid-level AAC team.

I'm hoping the positive attitude is because they understand a change is inevitable...as a result, why bash? (Again, this is my hope...)

It's bad when good is doing less bad than expected but I guess it is marginally better than doing as bad as expected.
confused0006.r191677.gif

It's kind of like bragging that you came in second place...

In a two man race!!!!

I hate to say it but think this was our best game of the year. No quit in the players at least on the offensive side.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

A LOSS is a LOSS. It still goes in the right hand column. Don't care how close it was or how much of a blowout it could have been. In the end we are 2-9 and can do no better than last season's 3-9 record. There has been no improvement from last year to this year...period. No growth, no innovation or development within the offensive system.

I had to follow on Gamecast while we were out and about Saturday morning. Defense still giving up huge chunks of yardage and now its not on 1st and 2nd downs, its on 3rd and 8 where you had a chance to get off the field and you give up a 48 yd run. seems like I kept seeing that in the play run down...nothing or minimal for 5-6 plays then BAM. The players on that side of the ball are not fast enough or strong enough to make plays in space, which is tremendously detrimental in this day and age of college football. The way offenses spread things out it demands you have disciplined players who know what their assignment is and can make a 1 on 1 play in space.

Ironically, this is the exact same reason our offense needs to change its system to more of a spread. It only requires you to have average OL talent and 2-3 playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. We have those playmakers, but the system we are currently implementing demands more from the OL and too much precision and to just be bigger, better athletes 1-11 on the offensive side. We simply don't enjoy that talent edge over anybody right now yet the HC refuses to change his HS knock 'em out system to one that gives our players more of an edge and excites them. Lucas, Flanders, and even Langer can win 1 v 1 against a tackler on 50-60% of plays. Same with Louie and Brewer. The few plays that we have spread teams out and used the space, we have been successful (see virtually every time Louie touches the football...it is a play reminiscent of Malzahn and using Louie's speed as a match-up problem versus a LB or Safety).

1 more week...about this time we should be hearing the plans to resurrect TULSA football!

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
A LOSS is a LOSS. It still goes in the right hand column. Don't care how close it was or how much of a blowout it could have been. In the end we are 2-9 and can do no better than last season's 3-9 record. There has been no improvement from last year to this year...period. No growth, no innovation or development within the offensive system.

I had to follow on Gamecast while we were out and about Saturday morning. Defense still giving up huge chunks of yardage and now its not on 1st and 2nd downs, its on 3rd and 8 where you had a chance to get off the field and you give up a 48 yd run. seems like I kept seeing that in the play run down...nothing or minimal for 5-6 plays then BAM. The players on that side of the ball are not fast enough or strong enough to make plays in space, which is tremendously detrimental in this day and age of college football. The way offenses spread things out it demands you have disciplined players who know what their assignment is and can make a 1 on 1 play in space.

Ironically, this is the exact same reason our offense needs to change its system to more of a spread. It only requires you to have average OL talent and 2-3 playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. We have those playmakers, but the system we are currently implementing demands more from the OL and too much precision and to just be bigger, better athletes 1-11 on the offensive side. We simply don't enjoy that talent edge over anybody right now yet the HC refuses to change his HS knock 'em out system to one that gives our players more of an edge and excites them. Lucas, Flanders, and even Langer can win 1 v 1 against a tackler on 50-60% of plays. Same with Louie and Brewer. The few plays that we have spread teams out and used the space, we have been successful (see virtually every time Louie touches the football...it is a play reminiscent of Malzahn and using Louie's speed as a match-up problem versus a LB or Safety).

1 more week...about this time we should be hearing the plans to resurrect TULSA football!
I think a solid argument can be made regarding improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Has it been enough to win more games, obviously no, however the play calling has shown zero improvement and the X's and O's are holding back the offense to a degree. Last year the offfense couldn't move the chains let alone score more than 10-17 points.

TX

Originally posted by texcane1982:

I think a solid argument can be made regarding improvement on the offensive side of the ball. Has it been enough to win more games, obviously no, however the play calling has shown zero improvement and the X's and O's are holding back the offense to a degree. Last year the offfense couldn't move the chains let alone score more than 10-17 points.

TX
we have improved 3 pts per game... from 21 pts to 24 pts per game... down from 35 pts per game in 2012...

we scored 7 points and had 201 total yards the previous game

we've improved from super crappy to just crappy enough to lose

That's the problem.
We improve somewhere each game but either digress in others or at another point during the game.

One side of the ball typically makes enough plays to win but at the same time, the other side(s) make enough bad plays that we lose.
The offense came out in the 2nd half on fire while the defense called it an 11 alarm fire and fought to put it out by allowing big play after big play.

I feel bad for the kids and am still lost on what happened to the defense who are #1 in the nation for big plays allowed.

The same has happened to the defense too though. They come out on fire and the offense can't get a first down.

Most out of sync team I have ever seen.

TX
I struggle saying the offense has been improved..although there are flashes that Dane gets it and that some of the other parts of the O get what they're trying to do...it is the WHAT they are trying to do that just outright sucks. There is so little flow and rhythm to what the offense does, you can't tell on any given series if success is due to improvement in the play execution or the defense went to sleep because they are bored watching us do the same things over and over again.

This post was edited on 11/25 8:03 AM by TU_BLA

Our offense is just OK........nothing special.
Teams realize they can score on our defense anytime they want, so we don't usually face the best defense for 4 quarters, usually we get the best defense played against us in the 1st quarter and we've rarely been ahead all season.

Time for a change!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT