ADVERTISEMENT

Softball

The visitors may, but pretty sure all the softball stuff for Tulsa is in the right field building.

Not sure the restrooms in the Case would work for team bathrooms. Porta potties will work though. The NCAA is a bit bendable, kind of like a cop, do I pull you over for +5 miles speeding or does it need to be +7.

I think its workable to host with out too much trouble. But as someone else pointed out it will require some commitments from the school.

Hosting and a super regional are the next steps for the program though. Many schools have made softball a viable revenue sport. Tulsa sits in a good place to do that if given the right care and continuing success.
I think you may be right. TU and OSU are in good positions to recruit within the state and OU has certainly raised the level of the sport in Oklahoma. Add that to the ASA complex in OKC (which is freaking amazing) and Oklahoma can be a hotbed for women's softball which would position TU well for growth and continued improvement.

Broken Arrow just hosted the 16u Gold national tournament a few years back in 2014 & 2016 and I know more are coming. Oklahoma is becoming one of the biggest states for girl's softball. We have some amazing competitive teams at the 12 & up levels.

Or we could continue our ineptitude like when someone forgot to put in for hosting the first round of the NCAA tournament and our men's soccer team had to go on the road even though they were the higher seed. That was some brilliant work in the athletic department.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Broken Arrow just hosted the 16u Gold national tournament a few years back in 2014 & 2016 and I know more are coming. Oklahoma is becoming one of the biggest states for girl's softball. We have some amazing competitive teams at the 12 & up levels.

Several of the suburbs have good teams. Baseball and softball have always been pretty big in Oklahoma. Brothers and sisters basically doing the same thing and a nice match to football in the fall.

I expect that with all three state programs being pretty good and Arkansas to boot it will stay that way and feed on itself.

If the university will do it's part and avoid dumb actions like lec pointed out we can grow it. The biggest plus for me in Jerry O is that all of Tulsa sports are about to get a promotional bump. Guy will be on top of it all and promote it when just talking to people never mind any sports media who get a word with him. That's just work rate and successful linemen always have that, it's less common in Administrators.

Or we could continue our ineptitude like when someone forgot to put in for hosting the first round of the NCAA tournament and our men's soccer team had to go on the road even though they were the higher seed. That was some brilliant work in the athletic department.
That was the excuse. The real reason is that you had to pony up cash and we didn’t want to spend it. We gambled on getting a home game the following week, as I recall, and still didn’t rate a home game in the seeding.

Now you are singing his praises. What a joke.

I would think he would take another job if he wasn't happy for those reasons rather than resign without one. He could find one rather easily if he put out feelers.

This will come out sooner or later but basically Tulsa lost the best Coach they have ever had because their sorry asses wouldn't step up and do more to the facility...Everyone associated with Tulsa should email Gragg and the President and blast them...As you guys are aware I have disagreed with him about nearly everything however he did win and was highly ethical and treated the players with respect and taught them more about life than softball...Tulsa administration should be ashamed

You’ve wanted him gone for the last two years and now that you say he’s moving you’re saying that TU should be ashamed that they didn’t do enough to keep him. WTH? This is twilight zone stuff.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm saying the reason he left is because your beloved school wont step up and renovate crap facilities..the reason he left you guys should be pissed about but apparently not...

Based on your opinion over the past two years we should be throwing a party our crappy coach is finally gone. Now we can hire someone who can teach hitting, coach correctly, get to a super, get to OKC...that’s a pretty thorough synopsis of your thoughts in this thread alone.

So [banana]

This thread is suddenly the equivalent of talking to Rick James about whether he put his feet on the couch. “This coach is terrible. What do you mean? Come on I gotta little more sense than that. Of course this coach shouldn’t leave. I never said he was terrible.”

Last edited:
I for one appreciate you stopping by to share your thoughts. When the football team beats OSU and wins 12 games next season, I’ll have you as cover when I reverse myself and say I never said Montgomery and Co. have no business in college football.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I for one appreciate you stopping by to share your thoughts. When the football team beats OSU and wins 12 games next season, I’ll have you as cover when I reverse myself and say I never said Montgomery and Co. have no business in college football.

I'll come back and congratulate you...I cant stand ok state

He took the posts down becuz he realized what a clown & hypocrite they made him look like? Too bad I didn't quote him.

Because you aren't a fan of the program and/or an alumni you don't realize he asked for facilities improvements during the one time period in the entire history of the program, when the answer would undoubtedly have to be no.

Last edited:
Is this true?

I've looked for news and at the official site and haven't seen it although it's a low visibility sport.

I took the posts down because mostly I am dealing with idiots...Not a fan?? I am a fan of the players, I am a fan of my daughter...everything I have said is 100% accurate...I could care less that John resigned the reason he had to leave is what I think is pathetic..."I dont think the university shares a commitment to softball"....if you are ok with that gmoney..then my friend you are not a true fan of the program
He actually admitted he was the father, instead of a friend of the family. Am quite shocked at this revelation, not.
So now he's trashing John, and trashing the university. Lol Good luck to your daughter who left with a fine education.

Will be glad when this helicopter dad, so convinced he has all the answers, exits stage left. That should actually be happening soon. This will be unlike the multiple times he promised, and then no....

He actually admitted he was the father, instead of a friend of the family. Am quite shocked at this revelation, not.
So now he's trashing John, and trashing the university. Lol Good luck to your daughter who left with a fine education.

Will be glad when this helicopter dad, so convinced he has all the answers, exits stage left. That should actually be happening soon. This will be unlike the multiple times he promised, and then no....

What a clown..total fraud...yep she got great education and will be in your record books for years to come...you're not a fan of the program..just a loser who can't argue the merits so you bash me...Am I the only one trashing the school..has your head been buried?? Did you know you lost major donors because the school went back on their promise to build indoor? Did you know that a major softball donor was lied to about his/her donation and it didnt go to softball as promised? Lots of issues going on at Tulsa..pull you dumb ass or head out of wherever it is and catch up moron...btw, ask my kid if I was a helicopter dad, she would laugh at your dumb ass...she did it all on her own without my help...

Last edited:
What a clown..total fraud...yep she got great education and will be in your record books for years to come...you're not a fan of the program..just a loser who can't argue the merits so you bash me...Am I the only one trashing the school..has your head been buried?? Did you know you lost major donors because the school went back on their promise to build indoor? Did you know that a major softball donor was lied to about his/her donation and it didnt go to softball as promised? Lots of issues going on at Tulsa..pull you dumb ass or head out of wherever it is and catch up moron...btw, ask my kid if I was a helicopter dad, she would laugh at your dumb ass...she did it all on her own without my help...
Actually most of the people you're yelling at about this stuff are very aware and probably more in the know about those things than you are. With maybe the exception of the softball donor who put his money down and they used it elsewhere. You'd be surprised at how much a lot of the people on this board know about the inside dealings of TU in general.

Actually most of the people you're yelling at about this stuff are very aware and probably more in the know about those things than you are. With maybe the exception of the softball donor who put his money down and they used it elsewhere. You'd be surprised at how much a lot of the people on this board know about the inside dealings of TU in general.

The 2 big donors are huge...have given millions to the school...I really dont pretend to know the new President but it doesn't appear he is a sports guy...maybe Tulsa is in more trouble than I thought...regardless, the softball field is the worse the players play absent uconn..for a program that has been a consistent top 40 program that is unacceptable..I had differences with JB and still do but for the school to allow him to resign over their unwillingness to upgrade says alot about where the school is at financially imo..btw, once that gets out to travel coaches the recruiting will suffer...I may not know the inner workings like some but I guarantee I do understand the recruiting process and what kids are looking at today

Last edited:
And little
The 2 big donors are huge...have given millions to the school...I really dont pretend to know the new President but it doesn't appear he is a sports guy...maybe Tulsa is in more trouble than I thought...regardless, the softball field is the worse the players play absent uconn..for a program that has been a consistent top 40 program that is unacceptable..I had differences with JB and still do but for the school to allow him to resign over their unwillingness to upgrade says alot about where the school is at financially imo..btw, once that gets out to travel coaches the recruiting will suffer...I may not know the inner workings like some but I guarantee I do understand the recruiting process and what kids are looking at today

You are conflicted man, who has proven his inside info to be little better than guessing. Your reactions to disagreement are mostly name calling and wait you'll see. Your predictions have been mostly incorrect and rarely based on objective evaluation.

This school is very small and for those with relationships still on campus it's fairly easy to keep up with, but for outsiders it's often opaque which is why you need to be careful about our local papers reporting for example.

And little

You are conflicted man, who has proven his inside info to be little better than guessing. Your reactions to disagreement are mostly name calling and wait you'll see. Your predictions have been mostly incorrect and rarely based on objective evaluation.

This school is very small and for those with relationships still on campus it's fairly easy to keep up with, but for outsiders it's often opaque which is why you need to be careful about our local papers reporting for example.

The 2 big donors info came from someone who knows...Inside info such as this (John leaving) comes from people inside that are living it...I dont care to debate folks but where is the debate?? All I get is some (not you) trashing me...I know what he said to players as to why he is leaving..he was very straightforward..I read the letter...I am not conflicted at all, I respect the education that Tulsa provides, I have disagreed with the coach on certain things, I believe this administration doesn't support the softball program..fairly consistent

Last edited:
The 2 big donors info came from someone who knows...Inside info such as this (John leaving) comes from people inside that are living it...I dont care to debate folks but where is the debate?? All I get is some (not you) trashing me...I know what he said to players as to why he is leaving..he was very straightforward..I read the letter...I am not conflicted at all, I respect the education that Tulsa provides, I have disagreed with the coach on certain things, I believe this administration doesn't support the softball program..fairly consistent

Please don't start trying to cozy up now, you burned your bridges long ago. I doubt you as someone who knows and for good reason. Every season since your "friend's" daughter started playing you have been in here declaring inside knowledge that doesn't pan out. You have been here proclaiming how we will suck each year and even did so earlier in this thread on next season. You lack credibility and the window you are looking in through will always be tinted by your frustration that you have had such little control or influence on your girl's career.

You mean like John resigning?..That bad info ..I personally dont care what you think...Do you really think I care if you think I'm credible? Trying to cozy up? nope..same things still hold true..awful hitting teaching..same disagreements for 4 years...Its funny you try to act like you know how much or little influence I have over my daughter...she would laugh at you clowns...the hitting things i stated about the program came from her genius..she has no respect for the hitting technique there...in fact, they allowed her to go to a different hitting coach her last 2.5 yrs which coincidentally was the best she hit....Going to regionals but always losing isn't great to me but for you Tulsa fans I can see how that would be great...

Ahhh see that's more true to your form.

It's always funny to hear how much you don't care when replying anonymously to some text on a screen. You clearly care enough to be here arguing for your view.

As far as your daughter is concerned you might be surprised on how she feels inside compared to how she interacts with you or when defending you (which we both know has happened).

The team concept has proven much more successful than the individual. Your daughter had other options to go play, but chose to stay which says a lot more about her feeling regarding the coach and program than any diatribe you have made on this board. It also shows more steadfastness and commitment then you show on this board with your posts.

You fail to understand that holding the idea that Tulsa's coach and program suck is directly contradictory to we should be ashamed we lost our coach and are now doomed. That you post on a board to spread news you don't care about is also a high level of cognitive dissonance. You are quite literally conflicted.

Ok..as far as my daughter she chose to stay because of John and teammates, I respected that...We give her options and she makes choices and we support her like good parents do but dont confuse her staying with her agreeing with the way they teach hitting or the way the program treats its players...she doesnt...She told another recruit to go to another school because that's the choice she would have made if she could go back..I assure you she was committed to teammates and John not Tulsa University.. I didnt say you should be ashamed you lost your coach, I said you be ashamed in the manner in which it occurred..the administration will not upgrade facilities..learn to read..you're not the smartest guy in the room like you think you are

Either he sucks as a coach and losing him is a good thing. Or he is a good coach and losing him is a bad thing. Make up your mind.

Second if she did tell that to another player, your daughter should have just left. As a coach I would have sent her packing. But again there is a slant to everything you say so I doubt that came about the way you are trying to make it look.

As a coach let me assure you, that you are the worst kind of parent to deal with, which is remarkable considering the kids are usually some of the best to work with.

Finally as far as intelligence goes, I do fine and have yet to claim to be the smartest person in the room.

You also seem to have a misunderstanding about what is actually happening at the University. Hint we don't exist to satisfy sports fans.

The university has several blemishes, currently after a lot of consideration I am not happy with the direction it is headed. The athletic issues aside. The University is leaving its roots and that is a problem. Other things are symptoms, including athletics right now. It's still mine and apparently your daughter's despite your rage, we'll take it from here, mistakes and all. Enjoy being a fan of whatever it is that you're a fan of.

It's unfortunate your daughter is who I have been thinking it is for a while. The picture you paint of her does not match what I have seen, you might think about that for a little while.

We are brokenhearted I assure you...lol..The recruit is a personal family friend..Our loyalty is to the family and her friend not to Tulsa..surely you can understand that...Losing John imo is good..the manner in which he left isnt good...its not like he was fired, he left because your beloved school will not step up ..think about that...I'm the worse possible parent because I know more about hitting than they do? Oh I get it because they are at Tulsa and have a Coach title gosh they have to be competent kinda like Montgomery right?

If your daughter felt that way she should have left. End of story. Which is why I would have sent her packing as a coach. Spin it however you want but staying where you are while undercutting it is not how you do it.

You're the worst kind of parent for a coach to deal with because you can't let go, because you reinforce the worse parts of the game, and laugh about it. So a coach spends a great deal of time trying to undo the the self destructive tendencies you helped create.

Just like you did in this response, you miss the point about what is happening and where priorities should be at. You tend to ignore what you can't admit. You have spent years on here making your daughter out to be the sort of player no one would want on their team. Blinded mostly by your need to be right and your insecurities. Luckily it's over now for us here on the board.

So have fun enjoy what ever it is you enjoy.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Are you really going nuts about 9 players in 4 years? Losing players in a division 1 school is quite common, especially if you aren’t on a full ride. They leave for all sorts of reasons - they hate the coach, get pregnant, don’t want to play anymore or just don’t get time, want to be closer to home etc... Really assine to harp on over a period.

Are you really going nuts about 9 players in 4 years? Losing players in a division 1 school is quite common, especially if you aren’t on a full ride. They leave for all sorts of reasons - they hate the coach, get pregnant, don’t want to play anymore or just don’t get time, want to be closer to home etc... Really assine to harp on over a period.
Or the come on a partial and don’t make the grades to keep the other half of their aid.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Or the come on a partial and don’t make the grades to keep the other half of their aid.

Dang. How dare you produce more scenarios to call out this BS by softball dingleberry daddio. From what I recall, the softball facilities weren't all that bad when I was there. Granted, I was there in 2006. I dated a softball player for 1.5 years there and there wasn't a whole lot of bitching from the team then from what I recall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT