ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
TU player transfers to Arkansas...

Razorbacks Add Tulsa Transfer Chenise Delce​

RAZORBACK COMMUNICATIONS July 9, 2021

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas has added their third transfer of the offseason with the addition of pitcher and designated player Chenise Delce from Tulsa. She will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Delce produced a stellar career for the Golden Hurricane in the circle going 29-15 with a 2.12 ERA in 57 games, 47 starts, with 279 strikeouts while opponents hit just .219 against her over three years. This past year, the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma native went 8-6 with a 3.30 ERA over 19 games, 16 starts. She punched out 10+ batters three times with a season-best 13 coming in a one-hit shutout at East Carolina in April. Delce hit a career-best .296 with six extra-base hits and drove in 20 runs. Her performance at the plate and in the circle earned her NFCA Second-Team All-Central Region, All-American Athletic Conference first team and a spot on the AAC All-Tournament Team.

As a sophomore in 2020, she led the Tulsa pitching staff with a 6-3 record to go along with a 2.00 ERA in 12 games, including a pair of shutouts. Delce topped Mississippi State early during shortened season and later that spring blanked Samford 1-0 with a season-best 10 strikeouts.

Delce burst onto the scene in 2019 earning American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year, First-Team All-American Athletic Conference and NFCA Second-Team All-Region by leading the Golden Hurricane with a 15-6 record to go with a 1.63 ERA. She struck out 124 in 141.2 innings while allowing opponents to hit just .209 and post five shutouts. She was also stellar at the plate, hitting .282 with two home runs and 22 RBIs.

A two-time state champion at Carl Albert High School as a senior and at Choctaw High School as a sophomore, Delce was one of the best softball players in the Oklahoma City area. As a senior, she struck out 233 over 114 innings and allowed just six earned runs all season for a 0.36 ERA. She also hit .435 on her way to being named all-state, all-region, District 5A-1 Pitcher of the year and first-team Big All-City by The Oklahoman. She fanned 257 over 202 innings while helping Choctaw to the state title as a sophomore picking up Big All-City Player of the Year, State Tournament MVP and District 6A-1 Pitcher of the Year.

Delce becomes the third transfer added by Head Coach Courtney Deifel this offseason, joining outfielder KB Sides (Alabama) and pitcher Callie Turner (Tennessee).

• Sad
Reactions: HuffyCane
Another... well that sucks. I’m now on board that the transferee’s original school should be given a huge stipend for the transfer. It’s only fair. Otherwise, it’s bull butter.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU1NNJ
Another... well that sucks. I’m now on board that the transferee’s original school should be given a huge stipend for the transfer. It’s only fair. Otherwise, it’s bull butter.

Or you know, we could actually invest in probably the best performing sport we have.

Crazy how that works.

It's clear despite our AD's "people skills" ( I wonder if ol Rick and Scoops are good friends) and fundraising (not sure what the actual goal was but hey if it was 5k and we made 6k good job) we still don't get it.

Hard enough to get the girls here with only partial scholarships, harder to keep them when our facilities are below local high schools and we can't host a regional so we will be in Norman every year.

Tell me what local high school has better softball facilities than TU. I don’t believe that Delce going to UA is a facility issue.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Tell me what local high school has better softball facilities than TU. I don’t believe that Delce going to UA is a facility issue.

Pick a suburb

Not only do they have better facilities the kids play there for free, just like they do at Arkansas (who offers an in state discount to 918 residents).

If they were a university they have the required facilities to host a regional and not have to send their teams to be sacrificed in Norman.

Oh and for Huffy, look they have an indoor facility just for baseball and softball. That this university is just now catching up to the top high schools in this state is not enough to get a casual non-University of Tulsa fan excited or to buy in. Which is the only chance we have to survive in the new NIL era and which we had an excellent opportunity to have blast off this year after the pandemic but throughly blew in the spring when we kept two of our three failing coaches in major revenue sports.

Meanwhile we watch our best coaches in other sports leave because we won't invest and now with the new transfer rules we will watch our best players follow them to places that are spending. Look at OSU, OU, or Arkansas' facilities, hell look at our fellow conference teams.

But sure her head coach leaving over lack of investment and an opportunity to play at a better supported program a short drive away had nothing to do with our star pitcher leaving. Let's stick our head back in the sand here because it's been working in football and basketball so well.

You sure are angry.

Tulsa has a long history of doing stupid things. The further I go with this program the more and more I understand Largent's position towards it.

There is a proven formula of success at this athletic department, yet we continue to refuse to follow it or even support it.

Softball could easily be a jewel in our crown, a super easy way to connect with a local community that is rabid about the sport in an area we really need connections in. Its investment requirment is practically nothing and its return has been immense and could be even more.

Most girls play softball at some point in the Tulsa area and the surrounding communities. Oklahoma as a state has a huge baseball/softball community and the Universiry of Tulsa has less than 4500 students, we need those non-students to be connected to us, wasting opportunity is a new theme at the university.

Sorry stupidity/incompetence bothers me at an institution that has no excuse for it.

Do the TU girls have a turfed indoor area in which to work out ?

The fact that you are trying to figure out whether or not TU a softball program that has definitely been top 50 over the past decade and been ranked top 25 multiple times in that same period, has facilities that match a high school (admittedly a great one) program probably tells us all we need to know about the level of support the university's program is getting.

Anyone think this would be a discussion at Arkansas? UCF? USF? Wichita?

We know it isn't at OU and our most successful head coach left to be an assitant at OSU, which also says a good deal about the amount of support the program gets.

None of that's an issue though, our star pitcher just loves the Ozarks and her family enjoys the extra 80ish mile drive to see her play home games.

There is such an abundance of Baseball and Softball talent in this state that investment in these programs should be a no brainer.
There are so many quality programs within an easy bus ride that costs to schedule ooc games is minimal.
We keep fumbling around and missing the pathways to success. Its like we dont want to succeed because we will feel trust fund guilty being a success in athletics and academics.

Reactions: bluegold70
If only 4evuh was our AD, the sky would be the limit.
(Don't stick a pin near him. It would bring on a heat wave in his arm chair.)

He's got all the feckless answers...

There is such an abundance of Baseball and Softball talent in this state that investment in these programs should be a no brainer.
There are so many quality programs within an easy bus ride that costs to schedule ooc games is minimal.
We keep fumbling around and missing the pathways to success. Its like we dont want to succeed because we will feel trust fund guilty being a success in athletics and academics.

Shhhhh, certain members on this board think that if you suggest something that is common sense and just basic good practice in an athletic department that you are just a know it all or a hater. Rather than a person who has worked in the athletic department when it was successful and saw that following that basic strategy brought and built up success.

Not having blue and gold glasses on seems to rile them up

Whoever suggested TU should give full scholarships on softball...you can't. I do t know the exact number but softball gets something like 14.5 scholarships. My guess is there are 22-25 girls on the squad. Delce was recruited by Bargfeldt who is a pitching guru. He's gone and we're stuck with a hitting coach. There was a noticeable drop off in our pitching this year. I am pretty sure Strimple couldn't call pitches and that's the reason.

TU does need to make investments in the Olympic sports programs, specifically commitments to the coaching staffs. Think about how well those programs have done over the years. Men's soccer, men's and women's tennis, track and cross country, softball, women's golf (and men's golf when we had it), and rowing. Sure, we have nice facilities for those groups, but we do lack in some areas that would help those programs as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT