ADVERTISEMENT

So some questions have to be asked here

He’s going to play the senior. But Brin is like a hybrid of Paul Smith and GJ Kinne. He will have the job before long.
but why? monty alwasy values class over ability. such a moron. we're undefeated with brin at QB this year. and likely don't have to have all these comeback wins.

Does it bother ANYONE ELSE that you can tell the coach knew Brin was the man by the play calling brin was trusted with RIGHT OUT THE GATE! Wtf coach! Everyone's catching passes which means he's putting them on the numbers

This is a great point. We went virtually all pass like Monty knew the dude was just going to throw dimes all night. If you’re not comfortable doing that with Boomer, why play him? Cut the guy loose or put the guy in that you will

Last edited:
When did you start working at the Tulsa World?
They wouldn’t hire me because I make fun of Gundy Exotic and Lincoln the Snake Riley too much , I mean , that’s what they are there for right? Just the school in STOOLWATER and Norman community college ?

They wouldn’t hire me because I make fun of Gundy Exotic and Lincoln the Snake Riley too much , I mean , that’s what they are there for right? Just the school in STOOLWATER and Norman community college ?

They really oversold Fine.

It used to be a great paper. The last 10 years have been cruel. It’s not so much them as the industry and, if you follow Crossfire, a culture that is often ignorant about information. The current ownership group is awful. Their web site looks like spam and is bizarrely hard to navigate. (Or maybe there isn’t much news anymore

Bill Conners was so special. I get goosebumps thinking about him writing about Bill Self.

I’ll say this: they ran a story about Covid issues at the courthouse, which is a thing because they scheduled this idiotic remodeling with Cares act money at the end of the year and limited the amount of space where people can walk. Judge LaFortune had a response by lunch time.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I hope boomers injury isnt as bad as it looked, but he had no business being the 2nd guy behind Smith. I think most of us knew Brin was the better passer, and it just proved that tonight. Playing based on seniority is just another reason Monty should be gone. Loved the playcalling in the 4th quarter by him though. It's just a shame we wasted a quarter and a half

Brin’s accuracy wasn’t the only thing that impressed me. He could run and he had great pocket presence, he knew when to step up and deliver the ball. Smith and Boomer both were hanging onto the ball too long and not moving with the pocket.

I always have had a soft spot for Boomer. He has heart. He played his ass off in some bad situations for us.

Smith reminds me of Gus Frerotte. All the physical gifts, but seriously questionable at this level. Like Gus, he might me better at the next level. May he not head butt any stadiums. I remember reading that Gus was going to get drafted and not understanding why Federico didn’t go higher.

I always have had a soft spot for Boomer. He has heart. He played his ass off in some bad situations for us.

Smith reminds me of Gus Frerotte. All the physical gifts, but seriously questionable at this level. Like Gus, he might me better at the next level. May he not head butt any stadiums. I remember reading that Gus was going to get drafted and not understanding why Federico didn’t go higher.
Gus had monster arm talent. Most of his issues at TU centered on not having the greatest team around him. His senior season he had Chris Penn and I believe Penn led the nation in receptions that year. There wasn't much else on that team and the defense was very suspect. The biggest problem was the inability to sustain scoring drives in Rader's pro-style offense. It was too slow and methodical and most of the team their guys beat our guys.

Gus was also a goof ball. He knows his head butt is going to be a joke for as long as he lives...and I'm pretty sure Ann kids him about it too. He takes it in stride. He runs a pretty successful podcast now (Huddle Up with Gus) and he's a frequent guest on some other podcasts as well. One of my best friends is a Vikings fan and he always hoped for an injury to Culpepper when Gus was the backup because Gus wasn't afraid to just chuck the ball up for Randy Moss.

Reactions: TulsaAM
I think I have a soft spot for this whole team. I like all three QB's and respect their grit and attitude. But it couldn't be more obvious that Brin was the best QB on the field last night. I hope it wasn't a fluke and he is actually this good because if we run him out on the field next week and he plays like this, Tulsa football just got a lot more exciting. I didn't think that was possible

Reactions: el duran
I hope boomers injury isnt as bad as it looked, but he had no business being the 2nd guy behind Smith. I think most of us knew Brin was the better passer, and it just proved that tonight. Playing based on seniority is just another reason Monty should be gone. Loved the playcalling in the 4th quarter by him though. It's just a shame we wasted a quarter and a half
It's serious. Honestly the way he was holding his leg up, it looked like it was broken. BUT, usually if they suspect a fracture they aircast it right away before carting the player off. Honestly, if you watch the play a few times, how the ref didn't flag the Tulane player for going low on the QB is questionable.

I think I have a soft spot for this whole team. I like all three QB's and respect their grit and attitude. But it couldn't be more obvious that Brin was the best QB on the field last night. I hope it wasn't a fluke and he is actually this good because if we run him out on the field next week and he plays like this, Tulsa football just got a lot more exciting. I didn't think that was possible
It would also point out the gross incompetence of the head coach playing players who don't give your team the best chance to win simply because they haven't been in the program as long.

And I would agree with you that Brin has a more complete skill set to run this offense the way Monty envisions it should be run. And it's apparent that Monty has 100% confidence in Brin's ability. He opened a new section of the playbook for Brin that wasn't available when Boomer was in the game. If you are playing a QB who you have to reduce the playbook for yet you have a QB who you open the entire playbook for, the choice should be simple right?

It would also point out the gross incompetence of the head coach playing players who don't give your team the best chance to win simply because they haven't been in the program as long.

And I would agree with you that Brin has a more complete skill set to run this offense the way Monty envisions it should be run. And it's apparent that Monty has 100% confidence in Brin's ability. He opened a new section of the playbook for Brin that wasn't available when Boomer was in the game. If you are playing a QB who you have to reduce the playbook for yet you have a QB who you open the entire playbook for, the choice should be simple right?
Honestly it's absolutely indefensible that Monty put Boomer in before Brin because Brin is a much more complete passer. He is astronomically better.

This is a great point. We went virtually all pass like Monty knew the dude was just going to throw dimes all night. If you’re not comfortable doing that with Boomer, why play him? Cut the guy loose or put the guy in that you will
Brin got his opportunity and now is firmly the #2. What ‘s hard to fathom is how a kid (Boomer) can be in the weight room four years and have such a weak arm .

Brin got his opportunity and now is firmly the #2. What ‘s hard to fathom is how a kid (Boomer) can be in the weight room four years and have such a weak arm .
That has nothing to do with it. While they call it "arm strength" it has more to do with mechanics than it does with the size of biceps and triceps. It probably has more to do with leg and core strength than actual arm strength to be honest. At most the weight room refines some of it...you're not going to add significantly to it unless the coaches find a mechanical flaw and are able to fix that as well. Most of Boomer's problems are the fact that he won't set his feet and drive the ball through. Brin got his weight moving behind just about every throw. The only one he did not was the prayer he threw up to avoid a sack and it almost got picked.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I suggest everyone take Brin’s performance with just a small grain of salt. (I’m really, really happy for the kid it’s just all the games might not look like that) Tulane has been saying their secondary has been suspect all season. I hope he shows the same grit against the likes of Houston and Cincy that he did against Tulane.

He won’t have the luxury of the other team not having any game tape on him this time. A couple of his passes were really close to being picked last night. That being said,I absolutely loved the way that he stayed mobile inside and outside the pocket and he wasn’t afraid to take a hit to make the throw. He was focused and he certainly has the arm talent to make all the throws.

Do you feel Mike Gundy should be fired as well since he played what's-his-name over Illingworth against us?

Not really sure if it was Gundy’s decision there or the fact that we had to play without Zaven Collins for the last 1 1/2 quarters of that game. Without Zaven we had trouble stopping the run and it opened up quite a bit for that QB

Brin’s accuracy wasn’t the only thing that impressed me. He could run and he had great pocket presence, he knew when to step up and deliver the ball. Smith and Boomer both were hanging onto the ball too long and not moving with the pocket.

Go back and find every QB (but President's probably since he was dominantly a runner) under Monty's first game. Every single damn one of them made some good passes and everyone on here was asking why the hell hasn't he been playing.

By his second or third start everyone has suddenly started holding the ball too long, look hesitant, can't seem to make progressions.

Funny how that happens as their time with coach Wormtongue goes up. I have no idea what our QB whisper is putting between their ears but that and his game management have been the most consistent thing since Dane graduated.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU_BLA
Do you feel Mike Gundy should be fired as well since he played what's-his-name over Illingworth against us?
No, for a couple reasons. illingworth is a freshman, hadnt seen much of him at all, that's understandable sometimes. And the guy he replaced was on a decent sdsu team. Gundy saw the QB wasnt working, and switched, Brin doesnt get in ig not for Boomer going down. I dont believe Gundy has clock management issues every single game. Or runs the ball 4 straight times up the middle to get a turnover on downs. It's not just one mishap in one game that should get someone gone. It's the same mishaps every single game. I'm honestly not sure if Boomers injury was just a minor thing and hed be back next week, if monty would still go with him.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Here's my question-how does anyone explain the 4(and counting) magnificent come from way behind victories? Is it just plain good? Is it just plain lucky? etc. As for me, it's Rick Dixon's JuJu Hat. That blue fedora with the red feather is so ugly it's beautiful & apparently very effective.

BTW, any player, coach or fan who happens to be Catholic will surely make it to Mass this week-end ,praising & thanking Mother Mary. Heck,I'm Methodist (but my wife is Catholic) & I'm seriously considering St. Mary's here in Tulsa very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978
Here's my question-how does anyone explain the 4(and counting) magnificent come from way behind victories? Is it just plain good? Is it just plain lucky? etc. As for me, it's Rick Dixon's JuJu Hat. That green fedora with the red feather is so ugly it's beautiful & apparently very effective.

BTW, any player, coach or fan who happens to be Catholic will surely make it to Mass this week-end ,praising & thanking Mother Mary. Heck,I'm Methodist (but my wife is Catholic) & I'm seriously considering St. Mary's here in Tulsa very soon.
I have a TU rosary with a TU logo’d bead for each of the five mysteries and alternating gold and blue beads for the decades. On eBay. About $25.00 hand made by some nuns down in Florida. I’m gonna wear it out this season.

Beyond my earnest prayers for intercession, I think the biggest factor in our winning comebacks is conditioning. For the first time in several seasons, we’ve had the strength team to get guys ready and the leaders to hold each other accountable. We’ve been in better shape. Conversely, Monty’s offense depends on wearing teams down. We had a few on the schedule that we’ve beaten that we might not have beaten but for CoVid over the summer keeping them out of conditioning. We were ready to play. They weren’t. We made mistakes and put ourselves behind, but we were able to wear them down and come back unlike other years.

I have a TU rosary with a TU logo’d bead for each of the five mysteries and alternating gold and blue beads for the decades. On eBay. About $25.00 hand made by some nuns down in Florida. I’m gonna wear it out this season.

Beyond my earnest prayers for intercession, I think the biggest factor in our winning comebacks is conditioning. For the first time in several seasons, we’ve had the strength team to get guys ready and the leaders to hold each other accountable. We’ve been in better shape. Conversely, Monty’s offense depends on wearing teams down. We had a few on the schedule that we’ve beaten that we might not have beaten but for CoVid over the summer keeping them out of conditioning. We were ready to play. They weren’t. We made mistakes and put ourselves behind, but we were able to wear them down and come back unlike other years.

I would also credit our DC. He has been masterful this year in creating tough situations for opposing teams.

Collins interceptions to seal the game the last two have been perfect examples. the Tulane one they showed (and called according to Zaven) a double blitz, but the RB and guard both stepped over on Zaven who fell back to try and read and react. The blitzer came free from the other side largely because of the attention paid to Collins by the pass protection. Hit on the QB on a rushed throw leads to pick six.

It's not Monty's offense keeping us in games or even winning them, it's the defense taking care of business.

I would also credit our DC. He has been masterful this year in creating tough situations for opposing teams.

Collins interceptions to seal the game the last two have been perfect examples. the Tulane one they showed (and called according to Zaven) a double blitz, but the RB and guard both stepped over on Zaven who fell back to try and read and react. The blitzer came free from the other side largely because of the attention paid to Collins by the pass protection. Hit on the QB on a rushed throw leads to pick six.

It's not Monty's offense keeping us in games or even winning them, it's the defense taking care of business.
You are a lot like Gus Frerotte, repetitively.

conditioning.
Huffy is certainly right about conditioning, but pre-season, I had two thoughts that made me believe TU was headed for winning ways. First, a returning QB that played lights out in the last couple of games last season; and 2nd, DEPTH! After watching TU for 35 years, I can't remember having the depth at most all positions that we have now. Some back-ups were no-brainers but many just came out of nowhere to be quality players.

Huffy is certainly right about conditioning, but pre-season, I had two thoughts that made me believe TU was headed for winning ways. First, a returning QB that played lights out in the last couple of games last season; and 2nd, DEPTH! After watching TU for 35 years, I can't remember having the depth at most all positions that we have now. Some back-ups were no-brainers but many just came out of nowhere to be quality players.
They definitely get credit for developing depth which was an early objective. You can go back and listen to interviews and Montgomery talks about getting longer, leaner, faster, and quicker. Many took it as a swipe at BB’s players and recruiting ability. It was more of an indictment against some of the personnel requirements of what they view(ed) to be outdated or unsuitable defensive schemes.

But in those same interviews, he talks about developing depth. You do that by finding kids who are willing to wait to play. And those who you know will need two years to get ready. And with the status of our program, up until about two years ago, that meant being vulnerable with guys who aren’t ready when there is injuries or early exits from the program. Green, Robinson and Revels are good examples of that. They were victimized repeatedly as freshmen. We are earn dividends now from those investments snd losses.

But we haven’t re-upped the kitty and we haven’t demonstrated the recruiting ability to go find people ready to play. You can’t replace four year starters at WR and DB by going to an open tryout with 12 other schools and hoping to find some gem from a 2A school. That happens once. And it’s already happened for TU. And that’s what we may have to do next year at some positions.

Reactions: bluegold70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT