ADVERTISEMENT

So Montgomery says...

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Some good things, and some(imo) presently disappointing things.

The good thing is about Brin. He says he is not having the normal performance problems for a freshman coming in early and is anxious to see what he can do in practice. Apparently he doesn't look lost and overwhelmed.

The slightly disappointing thing, he says the rumor of a position change for President is not true. I hope that changes after Brin and Skipper go through spring practice.

The sooner President gets the message that there are 3 or 4 quarterbacks ahead of him talent wise, the sooner he'll consider moving to receiver.

Im just fine with President hanging around and making Skipper look over his shoulder and give a target to Brin to surpass in execution improvement. Putting him on the field is a crazy move absent some transformative summer experience -- which is possible -- he could bring in people who teach him how to throw the ball and when to throw it. Same story with Boomer. Boomer needs to improve that release. It takes all day. It will be interesting to see if he stays in the program, since his brother is not here. I hope he does. Without him, we may not have enough players at that position to practice. But I could see interest waning by both player and program. Hefley is pure enigma. High school All American but way under prepared and under performed when it mattered. Marquardt is an interesting question. If he was 2 inches taller, you figure he would be on scholarship at OU. You look at our package of basic throws and many are not affected by his lack of height. But there are a couple where seeing over the line and making the right read are absolutely critical. It would be interesting if his talent was given a chance by changing our package to fit his talents because others are not meeting expectations. He might be the best pure thrower on the team based on high school highlights -- and that includes Smith. And he's had a year in the program. But he's only here because we are the only program to give him a preferred walk on offer. It will be interesting if he stays too. Again, I hope he does. We need practice players -- not just with live reps and scrimmages, but to run drills, especially on defense.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. No one knows the offense better than President. He got the nod last year because he knew the offense better than anyone. He’s still a quarterback because he knows the offense better than anyone. The dude is smart. Talk football with him for a few minutes and it’s obvious. He’s mature. He’s a leader. He’s stoic. Dude doesn’t give up.

I like chad and he’s a very talented athlete but I think he’d be much better as a WR/TE. He’s too good to not have on the field, but that’s what’ll happen when he’s backup qb this year and 3rd string next year.

Reactions: Midwest11
Not here to bash a young man who everyone says is smart, hard working, and decent. But stats are heartless:

Chad President's NCAA passing efficiency rating for 2017: 105.9 (NFL equivalent 71.64).

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/calc-pe.pl?a=157&c=83&y=921&t=3&i=2
https://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careerplayer
http://tulsahurricane.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5917&path=football

For comparison:

UCF's QB: 179.3
Central Arkansas: 177 (team stat, too lazy to calculate individual stats, we open against them)
Memphis: 161.2
Uconn: 153.6
Arkansas State: 149.6 (who we play in September)
USF: 142.1
SMU: 140
Houston: 139.4 (team stat)
Tulane: 139.1
Navy: 136.7 (team)
ECU: 129.1
Arkansas: 127.5
Temple: 127.2 (team)
Texas: 123.9 (team)

President: 105.9

Last years data obviously, I'm sure some of the QBs will turn over. Others will improve. Not everyone we play has a QB that qualified for an NCAA computation on the list (only 110 listed, needed certain number of passes/completions/tds to qualify for the list), so I used their team stat. I calculated President's stat using the above information.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8/p1
https://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113770

Now, he also had 429 rushing yards. That's nothing to scoff at. But coach Monte and Tulsa have both historically found success by throwing and racking up ridiculous offensive numbers. It would be hard to do that with a passing rating of 105.

Unless he has significantly improved his passing game or we change our offensive mindset, it is likely that the offensive we have in mind would struggle.

The calculation:
NCAA Formula
Points for: Formula: Calculation: Result:
Completion percentage 100 * completions / attempts 100 * 83 / 157 52.87
Yards per attempt 8.4 * yards / attempts 8.4 * 921 / 157 49.28
Touchdowns 330 * touchdowns / attempts 330 * 3 / 157 6.31
Interceptions -200 * interceptions / attempts -200 * 2 / 157 -2.55
Computed rating (total points):

"The only stat that matters is the final score" - Steve Kragthorpe

That research is definitely instructive.

But I saw enough at Tulane.

I've supported this team since I was a toddler. I was patient and supportive through the 1999-2002 years. I didnt flinch during the last BB years when it was clear we had some good players and some bad decisions. If he starts this season and the performance is anything close to last year, it will seriously challenge my emotional and financial investment in this team in the short term, but never the long term.

"The only stat that matters is the final score" - Steve Kragthorpe

That research is definitely instructive.

But I saw enough at Tulane.

I've supported this team since I was a toddler. I was patient and supportive through the 1999-2002 years. I didnt flinch during the last BB years when it was clear we had some good players and some bad decisions. If he starts this season and the performance is anything close to last year, it will seriously challenge my emotional and financial investment in this team in the short term, but never the long term.
Same way Huffy, I am disappointed with the results and coaching sometimes, but I will always bleed blue and gold

Reactions: HuffyCane
You can call it stubbornness all you want. But if you looked at the options, you’d understand what Monty went through. President was the right choice when he got the nod, and he was the right choice every game he started. Skipper wasn’t even healthy enough to start most of those games that Chad started. Skipper didn’t deserve to start the beginning of the season with his lack of prep. And he didn’t deserve to start after that because of the stuff he pulled. He has the better arm, there’s no denying that. I hope he’s grown up because I want him to start this year.

You can call it stubbornness all you want. But if you looked at the options, you’d understand what Monty went through. President was the right choice when he got the nod, and he was the right choice every game he started. Skipper wasn’t even healthy enough to start most of those games that Chad started. Skipper didn’t deserve to start the beginning of the season with his lack of prep. And he didn’t deserve to start after that because of the stuff he pulled. He has the better arm, there’s no denying that. I hope he’s grown up because I want him to start this year.

Please elaborate on what he “pulled”

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’m curious to here this version of what he “pulled” - again, please elaborate, friend.
I only hear bits and pieces while I was back for homecoming so in complete transparency I won’t pretend my intel is all that great but let’s just say that there are things you can do that are not bad enough to get you kicked out of school but several of those incidents together can definitely put you on the edge and put you in the Coachs dog house. He definitely fell into that category last year.

I only hear bits and pieces while I was back for homecoming so in complete transparency I won’t pretend my intel is all that great but let’s just say that there are things you can do that are not bad enough to get you kicked out of school but several of those incidents together can definitely put you on the edge and put you in the Coachs dog house. He definitely fell into that category last year.
To confirm, nothing illegal, but not things that would make a coach confident in trusting you.

To confirm, nothing illegal, but not things that would make a coach confident in trusting you.

Then I think I know what you’re referring to...

I’m holding on to hope for season after next when we have an actual qb to run the offense.

IOW, he was frustrated about not playing when he could clearly do better than President or Hefley in practice and acted out some. Typical for a first year leader. He can grow up if he wants to.

IOW, he was frustrated about not playing when he could clearly do better than President or Hefley in practice and acted out some. Typical for a first year leader. He can grow up if he wants to.
True. He wasn’t prepared for the first game of the season. Then he did some dumb stuff that physically kept him unavailable until Tulane. He has a good arm, now he has to work consistency and reading defenses.

Meanwhile, Hefley has slipped to 5th or 6th on the depth chart. And he was supposed to be BB’s QB signing to right the ship...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT