ADVERTISEMENT

So.. can we reconfigure Skelly Stadium

noble cane

I.T.S. University President
Feb 25, 2002
For Baseball?..

Yes, i know its HA Chapman.. but im old and I dgaf.

I would rather we field a winning baseball team with 11.7 schollies than we continue to waste money on a clown of a coach and 85 schollies.

A baseball game was played there May 5, 1966. I was there. I can’t say that the field placement worked well within the confines of the stadium.

Skelly history

Reactions: noble cane
Woot woot Southland Conference here we come! Can’t wait for those epic games against Abilene Christian, Northwestern State and McNeese! Cough cough

Reactions: TulsaAM
For Baseball?..

Yes, i know its HA Chapman.. but im old and I dgaf.

I would rather we field a winning baseball team with 11.7 schollies than we continue to waste money on a clown of a coach and 85 schollies.
Also, ACAC is ACAC. Anything about some student union is an evil, and probably comes from SMU.

All kidding aside.. with the travel costs involved in baseball, we would be able to get 1 for 1 deals with UA, OU, OSU, WSU, and other regional powers and we should be able to get the WSU deal with the conference and play all sports besides FB... in fact without FB financial drain we might be competitive in basketball again.

Reactions: TulsaAM
All kidding aside.. with the travel costs involved in baseball, we would be able to get 1 for 1 deals with UA, OU, OSU, WSU, and other regional powers and we should be able to get the WSU deal with the conference and play all sports besides FB... in fact without FB financial drain we might be competitive in basketball again.
Softball has been competitive, it can happen for baseball as well. It has worked for ORU

Seriously, Tulsa has a very slim chance to field a competitive team in a realigned conference that matters. OSU's educational presence in Tulsa was the beginning of the end.

🤣🤣🤣 at “OSU’s educational presence”
Unfortunately the pieces of paper from OSU are worth exactly the same as TU in the professional world these days. That "Harvard of the Southwest" crap went out the door a long time ago and economics means OSU is the better value.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Unfortunately the pieces of paper from OSU are worth exactly the same as TU in the professional world these days. That "Harvard of the Southwest" crap went out the door a long time ago and economics means OSU is the better value.
the continued obession with that sport will always baffle me. You do you bruh. Just keep it off of the football forums.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
When I was a kid, the OSU-Tulsa campus was Amaco's headquarters before they left for Houston in late 80s. TU was renowned as a good academic school with a really solid law program. Something happened in the 90s where their accreditation was lost or something and the law program lost its luster. I was really impressed with the campus and the faculty to student ratio and when one of their recruiters came to TCU and touted the graduate business program, I figured, "what the hell, I liked growing up in Tulsa and TU had a sterling reputation academically". I don't have inroads or insight like some of you guys on here where you're more informed as to the economic model and feasibility of the university as a going concern, but I really hope TU doesn't atrophy into oblivion like our petroleum industry did in the 80s.

When I was a kid, the OSU-Tulsa campus was Amaco's headquarters before they left for Houston in late 80s. TU was renowned as a good academic school with a really solid law program. Something happened in the 90s where their accreditation was lost or something and the law program lost its luster. I was really impressed with the campus and the faculty to student ratio and when one of their recruiters came to TCU and touted the graduate business program, I figured, "what the hell, I liked growing up in Tulsa and TU had a sterling reputation academically". I don't have inroads or insight like some of you guys on here where you're more informed as to the economic model and feasibility of the university as a going concern, but I really hope TU doesn't atrophy into oblivion like our petroleum industry did in the 80s.
Are you referring to the OU-Tulsa medical school campus at 41st & Yale. I know Amoco owned that property in the 1980s.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Are you referring to the OU-Tulsa medical school campus at 41st & Yale. I know Amoco owned that property in the 1980s.
Yes, you're right, I stand corrected. It was across the street from the promenade mall if I remember right.

We wouldn’t get the Wichita deal. Without football, the Olympic sports including baseball and basketball would be looking forward to conference games against ORU.

Yeah, this isn't the perception that I hear from TU grads or from OSU grads. OSU grads (my wife included) view us as an elitist school. My degree has gone much farther than hers has, not for a lack of effort on her part and that's despite a downturn in my industry. I'm currently looking to backfill my old position in my company. I am lobbying for TU grads because I know the rigorous nature of our engineering department as well as the relationship our engineers have with the computer science field. On the contrary, outside of maybe the OU grad school, I would be hard pressed to consider any random OU or OSU graduate because I know the lack of rigor that their engineering programs consisted of by comparison. (That's not to say I'm unwilling to consider them, just that their degree impresses me less than others) I also know that we (TU) had a much higher average quality of student as the classes matriculated in terms of talent and intelligence. In my experience, our engineers on average ran circles around those from nearby institutions. Our main competition during my time around 10 years ago was A&M or Colorado School of Mines. OU was an afterthought and OSU wasn't thought of at all.

Now, that's probably not equal given every single degree program. Obviously OU has some tremendous talent in their school of medicine and OSU has their agricultural pursuits.... but in engineering I will take Tulsa everyday and twice on Sundays.

While this thread seems tongue in cheek, I wouldn't mind bowling in the south end-zone & connecting with the southeast & southwest stands. Increasing seating capacity is ridiculous, I know, but it would "look nice" & the capacity would be there for OU & OSU games.....just in case hell freezes over. Prolly don't have the $ anyway.

While this thread seems tongue in cheek, I wouldn't mind bowling in the south end-zone & connecting with the southeast & southwest stands. Increasing seating capacity is ridiculous, I know, but it would "look nice" & the capacity would be there for OU & OSU games.....just in case hell freezes over. Prolly don't have the $ anyway.
I dream of the day when Skelly's seating capacity becomes a limitation of the football program due to demand for tickets.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Yeah, this isn't the perception that I hear from TU grads or from OSU grads. OSU grads (my wife included) view us as an elitist school. My degree has gone much farther than hers has, not for a lack of effort on her part and that's despite a downturn in my industry. I'm currently looking to backfill my old position in my company. I am lobbying for TU grads because I know the rigorous nature of our engineering department as well as the relationship our engineers have with the computer science field. On the contrary, outside of maybe the OU grad school, I would be hard pressed to consider any random OU or OSU graduate because I know the lack of rigor that their engineering programs consisted of by comparison. (That's not to say I'm unwilling to consider them, just that their degree impresses me less than others) I also know that we (TU) had a much higher average quality of student as the classes matriculated in terms of talent and intelligence. In my experience, our engineers on average ran circles around those from nearby institutions. Our main competition during my time around 10 years ago was A&M or Colorado School of Mines. OU was an afterthought and OSU wasn't thought of at all.

Now, that's probably not equal given every single degree program. Obviously OU has some tremendous talent in their school of medicine and OSU has their agricultural pursuits.... but in engineering I will take Tulsa everyday and twice on Sundays.
Dos TU still push the TURC program like they used to? The undergrad research program was what pushed some of the engineering and natural science B.Science degrees over other institutions. Grad degrees in science are given more value because of the advanced concepts being studied as well as the research and thesis/dissertation component. There were a ton of undergrads doing grad level research at TU through the TURC program and that contributed heavily to added value of the degree.

TU also had the office dedicated to nationally competitive scholarships and awards. At one point TU was at the same level as Princeton and Duke when it came to Fulbright scholarships, NSF grants, etc. Do they still push this because it was always one of those pillars of light TU could point to when recruiting students.

At the end of the day, TU needs to look back at the Lawless plan and see if they can bring any of that back into their logistical plan for the immediate future. And not discount the role a highly successful athletics program has at attracting students.

Dos TU still push the TURC program like they used to? The undergrad research program was what pushed some of the engineering and natural science B.Science degrees over other institutions. Grad degrees in science are given more value because of the advanced concepts being studied as well as the research and thesis/dissertation component. There were a ton of undergrads doing grad level research at TU through the TURC program and that contributed heavily to added value of the degree.

TU also had the office dedicated to nationally competitive scholarships and awards. At one point TU was at the same level as Princeton and Duke when it came to Fulbright scholarships, NSF grants, etc. Do they still push this because it was always one of those pillars of light TU could point to when recruiting students.

At the end of the day, TU needs to look back at the Lawless plan and see if they can bring any of that back into their logistical plan for the immediate future. And not discount the role a highly successful athletics program has at attracting students.
Yes, TURC is still a big deal for the science majors. My daughter was accepted into the program after her Sophomore year and actually placed high enough in the research challenge to win an award and a stipend, and had an article published in some fancy journal.

This also led to a paid research assistant job in the chemistry lab even though she is a biology major. It all looks good on the med school applications.

I think the really important and unheralded program (at least for its level of significance) is the cybercorp program. The other thing that I really appreciate from the University is the level at which the professors tended to challenge the students. In some aspects it made us look bad in comparison to other schools in GPA competitions when it came to internship / job time... I.E. some of us would have had much higher GPA's at other programs.... but our problem solving skills were much better on average. After having moved to the industry and worked with engineers who were graduates of other programs, I'm even more impressed by both the quality of student TU was attracting and the comparable level of preparedness it instilled.

I thought about transferring to OU after my challenging freshman year in engineering. That would have been a much easier path, but probably with a poorer outcome for my career. I received a good basis for continuous learning throughout my career as the technology I used in my work didn’t even exist when I was at TU. Over the last decade I was working extensively with real time optimization and cybersecurity for plant automation systems - two items I didn’t learn at TU in the 1970s, but the concept that lifelong learning is essential was grounded by professors that I had in the engineering school.

Well, these wins keep making my goal of getting a new coach...harder and harder to achieve.
I keep looking at the schedule and I don’t see 6 wins there, maybe 5 at the most so you may get your wish. The Davis game just sent the whole season out of control.

Program strengths vary from school to school so I will agree with that point, as well as the degree in Petroleum Engineering when I was at TU. That program was, at the time, truly world class as evident by the number of international students from oil producing countries on campus at the time and the quality of the graduates as a whole.

Outside of a few specific programs, I maintain my stance. A degree in English from OSU (if they teach it), OU, or TU is the same to a hiring manager. I have hired and mentored dozens of people over the years and where they got their degree was something I quickly learned to disregard.

But I am not a petroleum engineer either :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT