ADVERTISEMENT

SMU

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Rewatching last years game anticipating what we might see this year. Defense played pretty well and got pressure on Buchelle. SMU gets pick six (really poor pass) and fumble leading to TD early. Down 14 after 2 series. We miss a FG which I doubt happens this year. SMU scores 24 by half. We manage one successful drive for a TD. Penalties killed us. Second half we can’t score on 4 downs from inside the 5 yard line. SMU had some success both running and short to mid range passing. We have some success running and short games passing. Little Monty made two good plays to get snaps down on PATs. They were able to get pressure on Smith. SMU did not respect the QB run - will Brin pull the ball this year?. Just watching the game you see how really good Zavan Collins was in controlling the game.. Bottom line we outplayed them but stupid penalties and turnovers required us to comeback to win 28-24.

My take aways for this year: Defense has to get pressure on Mordecai; force SMU to make long drives, get some TOs and play with discipline (wrap up on tackles). Offense - no TOs, score in the red zone, balance running and passing, no stupid penalties and good game management. Special teams - do not give up big returns on KOs or punts, make FGs and play smart. If we play well we can win this game.

Last edited:
Dykes already announced to TCU. We are 100% going to win this game and validate Monty's mediocrity. SMU is just not going to care and all the recruits that SMU had will likely end up at TCU now. My guess is SMU will look at Riley's kid brother for continuity's sake

They should hire Monty. Great connections in Texas HS and his team played in the AAC Championship game last year! Just sayin!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Rewatching last years game anticipating what we might see this year. Defense played pretty well and got pressure on Buchelle. SMU gets pick six (really poor pass) and fumble leading to TD early. Down 14 after 2 series. We miss a FG which I doubt happens this year. SMU scores 24 by half. We manage one successful drive for a TD. Penalties killed us. Second half we can’t score on 4 downs from inside the 5 yard line. SMU had some success both running and short to mid range passing. We have some success running and short games passing. Little Monty made two good plays to get snaps down on PATs. They were able to get pressure on Smith. SMU did not respect the QB run - will Brin pull the ball this year?. Just watching the game you see how really good Zavan Collins was in controlling the game.. Bottom line we outplayed them but stupid penalties and turnovers required us to comeback to win 28-24.

My take aways for this year: Defense has to get pressure on Mordecai; force SMU to make long drives, get some TOs and play with discipline (wrap up on tackles). Offense - no TOs, score in the red zone, balance running and passing, no stupid penalties and good game management. Special teams - do not give up big returns on KOs or punts, make FGs and play smart. If we play well we can win this game.
Today’s game started very similar to last year. Turnovers cost us points, offense looks bad to start, etc…. We rally and win. The biggest difference is last year our D shut them down for the most part. This year whether it was due to rain, injuries, more zone coverage in the secondary or something else I was never completely confident until the last stop that we had the win secured. I’ll say it again Long has been a tremendous kicker this year with improved accuracy and length. Glad for the players to get a bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT