ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 Recruiting SIGNING DAY RECAP: As expected, Tulsa signs six at beginning of Early Signing Period

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
The six high school prospects we previewed prior to the Early Signing Period are the exact six that were signed by Tulsa Football on Wednesday, December 16. The signing period runs through December 18 for high-schoolers, but mid-year junior college transfers have until January 15, 2021 to sign.

Reactions: HuffyCane and TUMU
Tyler McMillan, OG, 6-6, 320

There seem to be many recruiting web sites in the upper midwest. One of those sites, State Champs, covers the states of Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana but appears to focus on Michigan. The following is taken from the web site regarding Offensive Guard Tyler McMillan:

"River Rouge's Tyler McMillan and Birmingham Brother Rice's Aristotle Taylor are linemen from the class of '21 that may not be known commodities on the recruiting trail but offer fantastic upside as college prospects."

"McMillan (6-6, 320) is a monster in the trenches and just committed to Tulsa. There's nothing more you could want in a pulling guard and ace pass protector from a college coaching perspective. His foot quickness and natural agility serve as the foundation of his skill set."

Tyler is a preferred walk-on.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
Zion Hopes, Safety, 6-4, 170

From Longview News-Journal, July 14, 2020

"Like coach, like player."

"Jefferson senior safety Zion Hopes has committed to take his football career to the next level at the University of Tulsa in 2021, the same school where Jefferson athletic director and head football coach attended."

"He's still young and has a tremendous upside," Jimmerson offered of the upcoming senior. "No. 1, he's going to be disciplined. His dad just retired from the Navy is going to be on our staff next year so a lot of that military background has rubbed off on Zion as far as being disciplined and work ethic. We just measured him this morning. He's 6-4, 170, so he's just going to get bigger. Academically, he's a sharp kid. His test scores are good."

"In the class room, Zion pans to major in computer science."

"Just being around technology my whole life, I've always been interested in how things work," Zion explained. "Technology runs the world now, so I wanted to be able to make an impact."

Hopes had offers from Hampton and Valparaiso.

Last edited:
Jaden Moore, ILB, 6-2, 210

The Shreveport Times appeared to have an interesting article covering Jaden Moore but I could not get in without a paid subscription. The following is taken from "Recruiting News Guru" and is about Jaden Moore's sophomore season:

"Moore had a monstrous sophomore season where he had 102 total tackles, nine sacks, and three interceptions. After the season, the 6-1, 196 pound, play-maker was named first team All-District. The rising star still has two seasons left at Green Oaks but already has one college offer and is receiving interest from some big-time schools including LSU."

"The class of 2021 linebacker is not only a star on the football field but he also works hard in the classroom where he has a 3.7 GPA."

Jaden Moore had offers from Southern Miss, UAB, and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Marquis Shoulders, RB, 5-10, 165

The following is taken from 281 Sports Limited, May, 2020:

"Shoulders has been hard at work during the global pandemic. He has gained 10 pounds of muscle and now weights 155. He wants to play at 165 this next season. He has a God-given gift of ridiculous 4.4 speed, and because of that, McVey was able to use him as a ballcarrier, receiver, and kick returner."

"My speed, my ability to cut on a dime. Going from zero to 100 real quick," Shoulders said of his strengths.

Shoulders received offers from Army, Louisiana, Cornell, LeHIgh, NM State, and Yale.

Last edited:
Tyler McMillan, OG, 6-6, 320

There seem to be many recruiting web sites in the upper midwest. One of those sites, State Champs, covers the states of Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana but appears to focus on Michigan. The following is taken from the web site regarding Offensive Guard Tyler McMillan:

"River Rouge's Tyler McMillan and Birmingham Brother Rice's Aristotle Taylor are linemen from the class of '21 that may not be known commodities on the recruiting trail but offer fantastic upside as college prospects."

"McMillan (6-6, 320) is a monster in the trenches and just committed to Tulsa. There's nothing more you could want in a pulling guard and ace pass protector from a college coaching perspective. His foot quickness and natural agility serve as the foundation of his skill set."
McMillan is a walk-on, not a signee. We covered this a few weeks back in Hurricane Alley. By the way, we had individual stories on all of the Tulsa signees back when they committed.

McMillan is a walk-on, not a signee. We covered this a few weeks back in Hurricane Alley. By the way, we had individual stories on all of the Tulsa signees back when they committed.

Thanks for info! I don't have a premiium subscription. Then, too, I like to check out the local newspapers and various websites to see their view of things. I have been doing this for years, going back to the gentleman from Arizona did a Tulsa board. His son played at TU and Ken Burns was the coach.

Last edited:
Thanks for info! I don't have a premiium subscription. Then, too, I like to check out the local newspapers and various websites to see their view of things. I have been doing this for years, going back to the gentleman from Arizona did a Tulsa board. His son played at TU and Ken Burns was the coach.
AZ's board on the SportsOnly platform...I was on there as well. That's back when I started covering Tulsa. I wrote for the Moore American and McAlester News back then, stringing Tulsa articles for their papers...then flipped over to Tulsa SportsWeb and Sooner State Recruiting before starting the Tulsa Rivals site.

COMPETING OFFERS:

Braylon Braxton, Dual QB:
Arizona State, Miami of Ohio, Memphis, Hawaii, AFA, Army, Coastal Carolina, UConn, Marshall, New Mexico, Southern Miss, UTEP, others.

Bill Jackson, RB: Nebraska, Arizona State, Kansas, Purdue, Southern Miss, others.

Scottie Alexander, WR: Tennessee, Louisville, Kansas, Wake Forest, Memphis, Coastal Carolina, Southern Miss, others.

Jaden Moore, ILB: Southern Miss, UAB, others.

Marquis Shoulders, RB/WR/KR: Army, Louisiana, Cornell, Lehigh, NM State, Yale.

Zion Hopes, S: Hampton, Valparaiso. Hopes played on a team that went 3-7 plus Jefferson, Texas is a small town of only 2,533. I suspect that caused him to get missed by recruiters. His High School coach is a Tulsa U grad. That connection undoubtedly benefited both Hopes and TU.

Tyler McMillan, OG: Preferred Walk-On. No competing offers found.

2020 TULSA FOOTBALL HONORS:

Coach Phil Montgomery has been a strong recruiter for Tulsa.

2020 AAC First Team: Tyler Smith, OT; Jackson Player, DT; Zaven Collins, LB (Three Tulsa Players).

2020 AAC Second Team: Keylon Stokes, WR; Chris Paul, OT; Justin Wright, LB; Christian WIlliams, S; Zack Long, K (Five Tulsa Players).

2020 AAC Honorable Mention: Dante Bivens, OG; Dylan Couch, OG; Allie Green IV, CB; Kendarin Ray, S; Gerald Wheeler, OC (Five Tulsa Players).

2020 AAC First Team, Number of Players by School:
Cincinnati: 8
UCF: 4
Tulsa and Tulane: 3 each
Memphis and SMU: 2 each
Navy, Houston, and ECU: 1 each

2020 AAC Second Team, Number of Players by School:
Cincinnati: 7
Tulsa: 5
Tulane: 4
UCF and ECU: 3
SMU: 2
USF, Houston, Temple, Memphis, and Navy: 1 each

2020 Honorable Mention, Number of Players by School:
Tulsa: 5
Houston and Memphis: 2 each
Cincinnati, ECU, SMU, and Tulane: 1 each

2020 Summary: 1st team + 2nd team + Honorable Mention = Total Players:
Cincinnati: 16
Tulsa: 13
Tulane: 8
UCF: 7
Memphis: 5
SMU: 5
ECU: 5
Houston: 4
Navy: 2
Temple: 1
USF: 1

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMU
Braylon Braxton, Dual QB: Memphis, Hawaii, AFA, Army, Coastal Carolina, UConn, Marshall, New Mexico, Southern Miss, UTEP, others.

Marquis Shoulders, RB/WR/KR: Army, Louisiana, Cornell, Lehigh.

Zion Hopes, S: No competing offers found. Hopes played on a team that went 3-7 plus Jefferson, Texas is a small town of only 2,533. I suspect that caused him to get missed by recruiters. His High School coach is a Tulsa U grad.
Braxton had a P5 offer from Arizona State. Shoulders also had New Mexico State and Yale. Hopes had offers from Hampton and Valparaiso. By the way, all of their offers are included on our player profiles, which are free for anyone to view.

Ken Burns, a multi talented man. Filmmaker & Football Coach. (Keith ;) )

Ken Burns, a multi talented man. Filmmaker & Football Coach. (Keith ;) )
I try hard to forget that era. In the interest of good karma for tonight I will only mention the names of TU Coaches to win CGG’s Kragthorpe, Blankenship, Kragthorpe, Blankenship, Kragthorpe, Blankenship.......

I occasionally refer to him as kenny burls, helps me not remember the era I am referring to, as a I am referring to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT