ADVERTISEMENT

September Friendlies

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sargent, Pomykal, and Dest all called up. No Bradley or Altidore due to Toronto's playoff push. The one I'm interested to see is Jackson Yueill. He's owned the midfield for a solid Quakes team this year.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I can do without Lovitz and Ream for this set to see who else is out there. Ream is serviceable, but I was not impressed with Lovitz during Gold Cup. I can also do without Jordan Morris. He has not been the same since his knee injury. And apparently Nagbe turned down call-ups over the summer for pre Gold cup and Gold Cup...pretty sure he is forever done as a USMNT player. Oh, can we please end the Wil Trapp experiment now. He is not capable of making decisions and playing at the pace needed at this level. He's had numerous chances to show it and all he has shown is he can't handle it.

I really like a possible Boyd/Sargent/Pulisic front line. The US should be able to press with those 3.

There's no Arriola for this set but I'm just taking that as he could use the rest for DC United. Unless he forgets how to play soccer he should be secure in the USMNT qualifying cycles.

US soccer is screwed:

EDFCU97XsAgcqJO

Do you know how many players the US has had who had a parent in the service and born overseas and they were considered US citizens? This is f*cked.

I know zero about citizenship laws. I read this as saying a child born to a active member of the U.S. Armed forces (both parents U.S. citizens) who is stationed in say Japan isn't recognized as a U.S. citizen because of the place of birth?

I know zero about citizenship laws. I read this as saying a child born to a active member of the U.S. Armed forces (both parents U.S. citizens) who is stationed in say Japan isn't recognized as a U.S. citizen because of the place of birth?
That's what I took it as and that's what a lot of people are taking it as. It's complete stupidity. And it's almost as though the current administration and the idiots enforcing the immigration laws don't quite understand that US military bases have always been considered US soil. Can you imagine if they actually get to enforce this how many service members and their wives request leave to return to the US to have a baby so it can be considered a US citizen? How much $$$ will the military have to lay out for that?

I have no idea on the status of bases but this has everything to do with the current administration.

So the administration wants to make it more difficult for the children of a group who supports the administration to become citizens? That makes zero sense. The guidelines I posted above haven’t changed to my knowledge for quite some time. Bases In foreign countries have never been considered US soil as far as I know. Likely because we don’t own the dirt underneath them.

Anyone have further information on this story? If the Admin is behind this it would be the stupidest thing they’ve done to date...and that’s saying a lot.

So the administration wants to make it more difficult for the children of a group who supports the administration to become citizens? That makes zero sense. The guidelines I posted above haven’t changed to my knowledge for quite some time. Bases In foreign countries have never been considered US soil as far as I know. Likely because we don’t own the dirt underneath them.

Anyone have further information on this story? If the Admin is behind this it would be the stupidest thing they’ve done to date...and that’s saying a lot.
That also includes children of foreign service officers and the like.

US soccer is screwed:

EDFCU97XsAgcqJO

Do you know how many players the US has had who had a parent in the service and born overseas and they were considered US citizens? This is f*cked.
And by the way that is BS. Why would he do that to US citizens in the foreign service or the armed forcesand their children. I can't believe any president has the ability to change that. It should be a law that cannot be changed by anybody but congress. Their tour of duty and or assignment is limited in length and can change. Why would that dictate their citizenship.

I can’t find anything which says any law or US policy has changed. Just a change if position from a private non-profit organization. Curious why we are blaming the government and not US Soccer ?

Looks like a lot to do about nothing. Hopefully US Soccer will follow current US Law

Reactions: TU_BLA
Looks like a lot to do about nothing. Hopefully US Soccer will follow current US Law

My comment was related to the soccer side as I know we've had quite a few players who were born overseas to US service members who have kids with locals. I think Julian Green is one such case and I'm sure there are other cases. And many were born in Germany as the US maintains at least a couple of large bases there. The original tweet quoted that babies born to service members born overseas would not be automatically granted US citizenship as in the past but that parents would have to apply for it for the kids. I knew the adoption one...that's not any different right now. As a matter of fact we have had several friends who have adopted children from overseas scramble to get the citizenship stuff done before Trump took office fearing what stupidity could happen afterwards. The other question would be does this admin vet anything before they release it to the public? That release was almost as stupid as letting Levit talk about super-STEM-job-corp university. The question is simple, "Does this statement say what we want it to and can it be taken any other way than that?"

Sorry...this jumped the shark but I swear the intent was to get it to remain a conversation about US soccer and the potential impact.

There's no Arriola for this set but I'm just taking that as he could use the rest for DC United. Unless he forgets how to play soccer he should be secure in the USMNT qualifying cycles.

Arriola withdrew his name due to a family issue and Weah is dealing with an injury.

I really like a possible Boyd/Sargent/Pulisic front line
Beer?halter has CP listed as a forward in the call-up. Is this a change from one forward up top? If not, I'd rather see Boyd & CP as attacking mids with their speed to get back to help out our somewhat shaky back line. Or, maybe without Altidore, he figures he's forced to go with 2 forwards up top-we sure as hell need improved goal scoring for sure.

You didn’t jump anything. US Soccer did. Glad you posted it.
Here is another article that indicates the statement was poorly worded and needed to specify "children born to non-citizen service members" would no longer be granted automatic citizenship.
https://www.instyle.com/news/trump-military-kids-born-abroad-policy-change
IMO, any person who comes to this country and volunteers to serve in the armed forces and completes their original commitment, should be granted citizenship. There is no greater test of one's patriotism than volunteer service in the military.

Beer?halter has CP listed as a forward in the call-up. Is this a change from one forward up top? If not, I'd rather see Boyd & CP as attacking mids with their speed to get back to help out our somewhat shaky back line. Or, maybe without Altidore, he figures he's forced to go with 2 forwards up top-we sure as hell need improved goal scoring for sure.
I think Berhalter's preferred formation is a 4-3-3 so we essentially play 3 forwards. What I've seen so far is that it is actually more like a 4-5-1 as the 2 outside attackers do drop frequently and help in defending the middle 1/3. And this is where I disagree with Morris in this formation. A 4-3-3 is designed to have your forwards press the defense and create turnovers. Arriola, Boyd, and Pulisic all have the speed to really put pressure on the back line. Morris is not that player. IMO, if you're going with Morris, he needs to play the 9 or you switch to a 4-4-2.

CP as a 10? We'll see soon where Beer?halter puts him, although called up as a forward. It's more likely with Zardes up top-ugh!! With Alfredo Morales in center midfield, it will be(IMO) bye bye Trapp, so long Bradley.

CP as a 10? We'll see soon where Beer?halter puts him, although called up as a forward. It's more likely with Zardes up top-ugh!! With Alfredo Morales in center midfield, it will be(IMO) bye bye Trapp, so long Bradley.
I personally like CP playing outside. It gets him away from the big bruising CBs that seem to take hacks at his ankles to dissuade him from going in the middle. Plus, his pace is an asset outside and usually something that the outside backs have difficulty dealing with. BUT, CP is very versatile so sitting in the 10 is not a problem for him and it allows you to have Boyd/Pulisic/Arriola in the lineup together.

As I said, I don't no much about Morales but if he can play the 6, great. Bradley has lost his nerve and pace at that spot and we all agree Trapp needs to stick with MLS and not be pressed into playing time at a level he isn't equipped to handle right now. It also means you can leave Weah at the 10 where he is more comfortable.

The MF is loaded for the US right now and there's a lot of pace which hopefully will allow a high press against Mexico/Uruguay and relieve some pressure off the back line. I fear that Berhalter will do what every other USMNT coach has done and allow those types of teams to control the middle 1/3 and pack it in to defend the final 1/3 and counter when available. This is a poor use of the talent the US has up front and puts too much pressure on an already overwhelmed back line.

Who is the most satisfied man within 3k miles today? Why, that would be Tata Martinez who was snubbed by Earnie Stewart in the year long debacle to hire a coach. Of course, Mex has the best players, top to bottom, so Tata's job is easier. Mex hasn't lost since he took over.

Let's review our dismal performance: does anyone still think Steffen should be #1? He's getting bombed at Dusseldorf as well as the USMNT. Zardes didn't get much service, but that's OK since he was sleepwalking for 70 minutes anyway. Beer?halter's "build an attack from the back" game plan needs backs & a goalie who can pass it-sorry, not these guys. Trapp-oh so forgettable a performance-but by all means coach-stick with him, Zardes & Steffen forever.

I could go on about everyone who stunk it up, but suffice to say, Christian Pulisic is the only "Playa" we have(although Morales brought a measure of toughness we've been lacking). More bad news, you can forget about a Uraguay result, CP, McKennie(has this kid regressed?) and a few others are rejoining their club teams & won't play.

But don't worry Coach-regardless of results-your job is safe. Let us not forget, Jay Beer?halter is the "MAN" at the USSF.

Who is the most satisfied man within 3k miles today? Why, that would be Tata Martinez who was snubbed by Earnie Stewart in the year long debacle to hire a coach. Of course, Mex has the best players, top to bottom, so Tata's job is easier. Mex hasn't lost since he took over.

Let's review our dismal performance: does anyone still think Steffen should be #1? He's getting bombed at Dusseldorf as well as the USMNT. Zardes didn't get much service, but that's OK since he was sleepwalking for 70 minutes anyway. Beer?halter's "build an attack from the back" game plan needs backs & a goalie who can pass it-sorry, not these guys. Trapp-oh so forgettable a performance-but by all means coach-stick with him, Zardes & Steffen forever.

I could go on about everyone who stunk it up, but suffice to say, Christian Pulisic is the only "Playa" we have(although Morales brought a measure of toughness we've been lacking). More bad news, you can forget about a Uraguay result, CP, McKennie(has this kid regressed?) and a few others are rejoining their club teams & won't play.

But don't worry Coach-regardless of results-your job is safe. Let us not forget, Jay Beer?halter is the "MAN" at the USSF.
I agree on Steffen. He makes the back play a man short because he is a disaster with the ball at his feet. My kid sees the field better and makes better decisions playing out of the back than Steffen does. Absolutely cost the US a goal on Friday. Keeps putting Long and Zimmerman in tough spots by playing the ball to them in bad spaces and under immediate pressure with no outlets. You've got to see a path for your team to work the ball out but he simply can't see it. He also seems to panic with the ball at his feet. That's not a good look at this level.

The 1st half wasn't bad. There was one defensive mistake that led to the goal but the US did look good pressing Mexico and then creating chances (still can't finish). Immediately, Trapp, Zardes, Lovitz should never step foot on the field with the US crest on again. They're not answers to move the product forward at all. Unfortunately, neither is Jordan Morris.

Reactions: quincy101
It’s nice to play a different style but if allegiance to that style forces players to commit errors, then that begins to effect the players ability to negotiate salaries with their clubs. You’ll have a mutiny on your hands before you know it. Nagbe already told them to take a hike.

The player pool is the lowest talent wise since 1997. It’s really tough to remember a time when we didn’t go two deep at a position and now we have several spots where we aren’t one deep. But the fan base expects 4 deep and WC quarterfinals. It’s gonna get really interesting.

Reactions: quincy101
I believe John McCain was born on one.
Correct. He was born on a naval air station in the Panama Canal Zone, which at the time according to applicable statutes, was part of the territory of the United States.

I think Berhalter's preferred formation is a 4-3-3 so we essentially play 3 forwards. What I've seen so far is that it is actually more like a 4-5-1 as the 2 outside attackers do drop frequently and help in defending the middle 1/3. And this is where I disagree with Morris in this formation. A 4-3-3 is designed to have your forwards press the defense and create turnovers. Arriola, Boyd, and Pulisic all have the speed to really put pressure on the back line. Morris is not that player. IMO, if you're going with Morris, he needs to play the 9 or you switch to a 4-4-2.
Berhalter plays a 4-1-4-1 with Trapp or whomever squatting between the center backs or destroying when trailing by 2 goals. Which doesn’t work unless you’ve got two things: 1) A player in the Trapp position with the ball skills to play out of the back and the vision to get the ball forward, as well as 2) the range to cover the cold areas created by splitting your wingers to the chalk to allow the gaps that make playing out the back work. Bradley in his prime could have done it. People talk about Trapp not having the offensive speed to be effective, but it’s lack of defensive speed that is the true liability in the current formation.

We lose a few players for tonight's friendly vs Uruguay. At least the Uruguegins lose Luis (the"Vampire") Suarez & Cavani. Still worried about a result.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Correct. He was born on a naval air station in the Panama Canal Zone, which at the time according to applicable statutes, was part of the territory of the United States.
Couldn't imagine the incessant nagging if my wife had to give birth in 1930's era Panama instead of being stateside. It would never end.

It's a friendly. Why worry about results? Worry about development.
Agree to a point. Berhalter needs to find an 11 and pretty much stick with it. His switching of lineups is sort of like Haith’s line change sub pattern the 1st 5-6 non-con games. Berhalter needs to find a core and let them start developing chemistry. As the announcers the other night pointed out...it’s straight to the hex for qualifying starting mid 2020. You don’t have any games against Curaçao or St Kitts to warm up with and give some PT to guys who have no hope of making the WC team. You jump straight to 10 games against Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, and either Panama/T&T/Jamaica (so a question I have is how do they determine who makes the hex?). Anyway, for me beginning January 2020 there are no more warm-up or tryout games. You have to know who your 11 are and then the guys you’re going to supplement them with. If Berhalter rolls out Zardes or Trapp for any USMNT game in 2020 he should be fired immediately.

Yesterday was a little bit better for the US although neither team played a lineup anything close to what they'll take the field with for real competitions. People on Twitter bagging on Guzan who I thought played pretty well. The goal was not his fault and not many keepers are stopping blasts like that. Guzan's distribution and ability to help his defense play out of the back is vastly superior to Steffen at this point. Guzan also has superior catching ability. He took a rocket from 8 yards later in the 2nd half and caught it securely.

Nick Lima isn't as flashy of a player as Cannon is and not as gifted as Tyler Adams, but Lima is a solid player. Makes good plays, solid decisions, and can serve the ball into the box pretty well. I like him as a role player for the squad moving forward and much more so than Lovitz.

Pomykal is as advertised. He didnt' get much playing time nor many touches but you can see the pure talent the kid has. He turned the Urguayan defense around at times.

Better result but I don't know how much it tells us.

BTW, if you haven't looked at CONCACAF's WC process for 2022, go ahead and do so...and then bang your head on the wall and take some Tylenol. The process is confusing and makes your head hurt...but it is somewhat beneficial to the top 6 in the FIFA world rankings (CONCACAF nations). My son asked why is it #4 playing #7 instead of #6? Good question. I can only assume CONCACAF is trying to rig it to ensure their top 4 are in the mix for the 3 auto spots and the 1 play-in spot.

It's a friendly. Why worry about results? Worry about development.
Berhalter needs to find an 11 and pretty much stick with it. His switching of lineups is sort of like Haith’s line change sub pattern the 1st 5-6 non-con games. Berhalter needs to find a core and let them start developing chemistry. A
Why worry? For confidence that you can beat a good team, for chemistry with a group of the same people going forward(as Bla so eloquently states above)-there's a CONCACAF tourney coming up with WC quals to follow(admittedly, however, CP & McKennie were MIA & one assumes Weah, Brooks & Adams will be called up for tourney), correcting our scoring issues(goal last night was a deflection where Morris was right place, right time). Speaking of scoring, it was good to see young Mr. Pomykal from the U-20's get a couple minutes. There's a couple more from the U-20's that just might cure our scoring issues-A. Mendez & Sebastian Soto-who proved they can score in the WC. Will they perchance get called up? Not a chance in hell!

I see your point, but times a'wasting.

Why worry? For confidence that you can beat a good team, for chemistry with a group of the same people going forward(as Bla so eloquently states above)-there's a CONCACAF tourney coming up with WC quals to follow(admittedly, however, CP & McKennie were MIA & one assumes Weah, Brooks & Adams will be called up for tourney), correcting our scoring issues(goal last night was a deflection where Morris was right place, right time). Speaking of scoring, it was good to see young Mr. Pomykal from the U-20's get a couple minutes. There's a couple more from the U-20's that just might cure our scoring issues-A. Mendez & Sebastian Soto-who proved they can score in the WC. Will they perchance get called up? Not a chance in hell!

I see your point, but times a'wasting.
Yes, the US got a break on the goal Morris scored, but the US was pretty much wearing out Uruguay's right side once Lima came on and had several really good chances. Sargent created several in the 1st up being able to hold-up and find an open trailer. (Sargent may be able to fill Altidore's role nicely and has a little more pace and technical skill). I know it wasn't Uruguay's A-team, but in all honesty, it wasn't the US' A-team either.

I think plenty of the young players have proven their ability to play at this level...now we just need to convince Berhalter that those players need to be in the mix over guys like Trapp and Zardes.

The idea that we are going to be successful by completely changing the system and the culture with only half the players available and the whole team together 24 days a year will be just as much a disaster as it was with Juergen. Mexico tried this same stuff and it took them a decade to recover.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT