ADVERTISEMENT

Season to date facts and analysis

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Facts:
Five games remain and 2 of our opponents have winning records, 2 have losing records and 1 is 500. We play Memphis (4 and 4) on the road. The teams with winning records are split between home and road and the losing record teams are also split.

Our past opponents are 4 with winning record (we beat 1 JSU) and 3 with losing records (we beat 2). We are 2 and 1 at home and 1 and 3 on the road. We have scored 225 point (high of 54 JSU and low of 21 to both Cincinnati and Navy) and given up 227 points (high of 53 to Navy and low of 16 to Temple). Mediocrity at its best.

Analysis:
Any way you slice it we are very average at best. Arguments can be made that with a healthy Brin either or both of the Ole Miss and UC games could be different results. One could conclude that even a healthy Brin and reasonable scoring (30 plus points) would not have helped our defense stop Navy. Wyoming was a winnable game without the mistakes we made. Our game against NIU should have been a blow out but questionable decisions allowed them back in the game and forced us to come from behind.

This staff and team seem to get up for big games and at least keep the margin reasonable but likewise they are not prepared or make bad decisions against teams that on paper (odds) they should beat (Wyoming, NIU, Navy and Temple - we are 2 and 2 and could be 3 and 1 or 0 and 4). My take is we will win 1 or 2 games against teams where we will not be favored (SMU, Tulane, Memphis or UH) but very well may lose to a bad USF on the road. Not sure how we get three wins for bowl eligibility without better preparation, fewer turnovers, some help on the injury front and better in game coaching (adjustments, time management, play calling, etc…).

Being a TU fan and supporting our players and university I want to see us win every remaining game even if it means we have to keep Monty, which I can’t believe I am writing! However I just don’t see any way we win more than two. The real irony will be if we are 5 and 6 going in to the UH game and beat them to go to a bowl, send them off to the little 12 and have to keep Monty!

Opponents results and records

Cincinnati W 6 and 1
Tulane W (future game) 7 and 1
UH W (future game) 4 and 3
Ole Miss L 7 and 1
Jacksonville St L 6 and 2
SMOO L (future game) 3 and 4
Memphis L (future game) 4 and 4
Temple L 2 and 5
Wyoming W 5 and 3
Navy L 2 and 5
NIU L 2 and 6
USF DNP (future game) 1 and 6

other conference teams
ECU W 5 and 3
UCF L 5 and 2

Reactions: chito_and_leon
We'll beat USF. Unless Brin returns to earlier form, we'll lose to Tulane and prolly go 1-2 against SMU, Memphis, and Houston. Five wins give or take 1.

After reviewing the games we have played, i have came to the conclusion that we have the talent/coaching to win/lose the rest of our games.

Reactions: TULOYAL and TU1NNJ
Can’t have 7 sacks every game. I hope our offensive line will suddenly improve in pass blocking like we did in run blocking. Hopefully Brin will be a little bit more mobile by Saturday

Last edited:
Can’t have 7 sacks every game. I hope our offensive line will suddenly improve in pass blocking like we did in run blocking. Hopefully Brin will be a little bit more mobile by Saturday
Mobility and confidence in his pass will cut those sacks almost in half. He kept it longer than he has had to before the injury. He had much greater ability to avoid the sack.

Only had one sack second half at Temple hope that trend continues.

If we go 6-5 by beating Jacksonville St., which has played a glorified high school schedule, 4 teams under .500 and either memphis or houston - wins against JSU and other teams that are collectively around 18-36, is that good enough for Monty to stay? Feels a lot like Wojick's glorious 20 win campaigns.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT