ADVERTISEMENT

Season tickets renewal

It's amazing to me how many apologist use this.

I am still waiting to here about the last time a Tulsa athletic team was in a brawl. Just going to go ahead and put down money it wasn't after we lost a game.

It's also funny how many of you act like this was an out of the blue incident, rather than something that had built all year progressively getting worse and actually started 3 seasons ago. The team represents the school not the other way around.

Which makes the fact that our coach never talks about responsibility an issue, even more so when players are appropriately punished and the coach is not. When players are publically reprimanded but our coach does nothing.

The school changed my life, it is one of the few choices in my life I actually got to make. I don't fault Dre for his view or his support, I also was in the press box when he saw what Burns did to this program. That moment he felt then is how some of us feel now. Even then some people had blue and gold glasses on, that's ok too.

I'll be back to support this team when this coach reflects the values (responsibility, integrity) I see in the University, I don't think that will ever happen under Monty. Say what you want to about Haith but this will never be an issue for him even if winning may be.

Our AD is disappointing so far to say the best I can about him.
Meh. It was a brawl. It happened with Memphis vs. BYU a few years ago during a bowl and they're both still above average programs right now.

Meh. It was a brawl. It happened with Memphis vs. BYU a few years ago during a bowl and they're both still above average programs right now.

I'm not a fan of either school, both have a reputation for cheating, BYU has always had a bad reputation, for cheap shots and discipline issues. Memphis is the poster child for what I don't want my school to become.

The history of both schools is dubious at best by reputation or NCAA standards. If that's where Tulsa is headed I won't be back.

Thankfully the University of Tulsa has a set of values they have traditionally held up and articulated. We have an identity, we don't cheat, we're good students, we expect players to be responsible contributing members of our community, and traditionally faith has been a strong part of the program. Wisdom, Faith, Service. The teams reflect the university.

We do it when winning, we do it when losing. We do it because it's right. That's even more "Tulsa football" then putting the ball in the air and playing fast. More Tulsa basketball than polka dots and jumping passing lanes.

I am concerned we are losing track of that.

No one cares. Get off your moral high horse. It is football and it happens. Does not mean the coaching staff or players did anything wrong. Play a sport and you will see it happen.

I played sports my entire life and coached. I have never been in a team brawl or had a team get into one. I can count the number of actual punches I have seen thrown while peronally playing or coaching on two hands.

Tulsa has a 120+ year history and I am still waiting on someone to bring up our last brawl in any sport. You sound like certain defenders who say aww it's just lockeroom talk when that isn't how it works. This isn't a pick up game its organized sports.

Now we cleared up your bull:crap:, can we move on to the last three years of incidents, unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, late hits, and trash talking that led up to this "out of the blue" fight. One that involved our players going back and putting their equipment on to get their ass kicked. I don't know, let's look at the last two UCF games, the Cincy game, and the bowl with all of that, for this "isolated incident". The fight wasn't a one off, it's the latest in a trend going in only one direction.

We are continually one of the most penalized teams in FBS-----> discipline

We have unsportsmanlike penalties----->discipline

We talk trash so much comments are made by announcers and fans---------->discipline

We got into a brawl-------->discipline

I didn't realize that expecting the players and coaches to meet a standard of behavior that has been upheld for over a century was getting on a high horse.

Oh wait it's not, it's just the minimum I should expect.

Reactions: TULOYAL
I believe they only have blue and white uniforms in Adidas. The team is sponsored by Adidas so to have a different variation they would need to either purchase new ones or change sponsorship.

We have black uniforms in football. We have gray and black uniforms in basketball. Soccer has about 4 or 5 different kits and one is definitely gold. So we absolutely have the options with Adidas. I have no idea if they’ll buy new ones, but I’d give anything for them to have gold or red jerseys instead of black.

Yes we do have the options to buy different color uniforms with adidas. I was just saying the uniforms we do have now and that to change we would need to buy them. I am pretty confident in the colors I stated. Hopefully football will get enough money to get some of the things they so desperately need.

It's amazing to me how many apologist use this.

I am still waiting to here about the last time a Tulsa athletic team was in a brawl. Just going to go ahead and put down money it wasn't after we lost a game.

It's also funny how many of you act like this was an out of the blue incident, rather than something that had built all year progressively getting worse and actually started 3 seasons ago. The team represents the school not the other way around.

Which makes the fact that our coach never talks about responsibility an issue, even more so when players are appropriately punished and the coach is not. When players are publically reprimanded but our coach does nothing.

The school changed my life, it is one of the few choices in my life I actually got to make. I don't fault Dre for his view or his support, I also was in the press box when he saw what Burns did to this program. That moment he felt then is how some of us feel now. Even then some people had blue and gold glasses on, that's ok too.

I'll be back to support this team when this coach reflects the values (responsibility, integrity) I see in the University, I don't think that will ever happen under Monty. Say what you want to about Haith but this will never be an issue for him even if winning may be.

Our AD is disappointing so far to say the best I can about him.
What frustrates me is that if you read the fine print the penalties imposed were by the conference, which TU had to recommend, adopt, and implement, as I understand it.

Our friends and business partners are clearly weary of Montgomery.

I for one am eager to stop receiving emails from our President like a recent routine one. Inside it alongside all the typical updates she was thanking everyone for taking time to write to her expressing their views on the incident. I didn’t write to her, but I’m pretty sure those that did were disappointed to find TU in such a position that the President has to take time to deal with that in print.

As for your comments about the AD. Be patient. He played football here. He clearly has a low tolerance for monkey business and knows what he’s doing. The amateur hour stunts in the football program should be ending soon — whether Montgomery stays or goes.

Dont be so sure ...
One of the guys I follow in the athletic dept. mentioned that this year they only had the blues/white/gold combos to work with from adidas. The year before we had the black uni's with the matte black helmet that were freaking sweet. While I don't advocate wearing them all the time, I did feel they should have busted them out for the Tulane game as I believe they were nicknamed the Eye of the Hurricane combo. I always thought it was great that OSU had something like a possible 64 uniform combinations (it might be more) when you look at 4 different jerseys, 4 different pants, and 3-4 different helmets. If TU did 4 jerseys (blue, white, black, red) and 4 pants (white, gold, blue, black) and 3 helmets (blue, gold, black) you'd have a nice assortment. I'd throw in a gold chrome helmet too. I always thought that looked sharp under the lights with the classic home blue jersey/gold pants combo.

One of the guys I follow in the athletic dept. mentioned that this year they only had the blues/white/gold combos to work with from adidas. The year before we had the black uni's with the matte black helmet that were freaking sweet. While I don't advocate wearing them all the time, I did feel they should have busted them out for the Tulane game as I believe they were nicknamed the Eye of the Hurricane combo. I always thought it was great that OSU had something like a possible 64 uniform combinations (it might be more) when you look at 4 different jerseys, 4 different pants, and 3-4 different helmets. If TU did 4 jerseys (blue, white, black, red) and 4 pants (white, gold, blue, black) and 3 helmets (blue, gold, black) you'd have a nice assortment. I'd throw in a gold chrome helmet too. I always thought that looked sharp under the lights with the classic home blue jersey/gold pants combo.

I always thought OSU was searching for an identity. They had no real tradition so they had to try to be all things to all people.

There is something to be said for having a recognizable brand. Something that says "Thats Tulsa playing football!" ..

Reactions: TULOYAL
I always thought OSU was searching for an identity. They had no real tradition so they had to try to be all things to all people.

There is something to be said for having a recognizable brand. Something that says "Thats Tulsa playing football!" ..
It’s easier to embrace tradition when your tradition is storied rather than just a bit above above average. Even then, many of the schools, occasionally try something different (I’m think places like OU / ND / Navy)

Start wearing the same uniform every week when you start whipping people’s azzes consistently with the same uniform and then people will remember you that way. No one is going to remember if Northwestern in the Big 10 wore the same or different uniforms from the ones they wore in 95’. But they will remember if ND is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sbellini

I agree somewhat but OSU always has some nice uniform combos...almost as slick as Oregon and that range of uniforms is a reason someone may opt to go there over a similar program.

Reactions: Sbellini
I agree somewhat but OSU always has some nice uniform combos...almost as slick as Oregon and that range of uniforms is a reason someone may opt to go there over a similar program.
Two programs with no tradition... and no brand.

Kids go where they can win... Bama has the most boring unis..

If you go somewhere because the uni is cool then you're going for the wrong reason.

It’s easier to embrace tradition when your tradition is stories rather than just a bit above above average. Even then, many of the schools, occasionally try something different (I’m think places like OU / ND / Navy)

Start wearing the same uniform every week when you start whipping people’s azzes consistently with the same uniform and then people will remember you that way. No one is going to remember if Northwestern in the Big 10 wore the same or different uniforms from the ones they wore in 95’. But they will remember if ND is.
But if you want people to recognize you on TV... then one combo is better than 50.

Reactions: 4tu2
Uniform salad is over at TU. We are going back to the gold helmets. Thank God and By God.

i get that some didn’t care for the alternate uniforms (I myself prefer the classic style), but what’s the reasoning behind stopping this? Was it to save money, promote a traditional look, or just to stick it to someone?

also just FYI - I’ll die on the red jersey hill. Those should be worn once per season for a big game (same as the ND green jerseys).

Reactions: TU1NNJ and drboobay
i get that some didn’t care for the alternate uniforms (I myself prefer the classic style), but what’s the reasoning behind stopping this? Was it to save money, promote a traditional look, or just to stick it to someone?

also just FYI - I’ll die on the red jersey hill. Those should be worn once per season for a big game (same as the ND green jerseys).
The reasoning I am told is the lack of coherence and uniformity of our uniforms across sports. Football wears matte black, basketball true black, soccer midnight blue, track darkest gray with blue piping, etc. None of it our school colors and none of it intentionally done. Each sport doing what they want with what they can get from Adidas. That type of unmanaged cluster is going to end. I’m sure each sport will have some special looks, but when we play, more often than not, it’s going to be gold and blue. And what’s on sale in the bookstore will change. More gold. Less blue. That’s what I hear anyway.

Last edited:
My preferences
Gold, Blue, Gold at home with Gold, Red, Gold on special occasion
Gold, White, Gold or Gold, White, White on the road.
I don't hate Blue pants, White Jersey, Gold helmet on the road on occasion. I'm not a huge fan of white pants for some reason.

The reasoning I am told is the lack of coherence and uniformity of our uniforms across sports. Football wears matte black, basketball true black, soccer midnight blue, track darkest gray with blue piping, etc. None of it our school colors and none of it intentionally done. Each sport doing what they want with what they can get from Adidas. That type of unmanaged cluster is going to end. I’m sure each sport will have some special looks, but when we play, more often than not, it’s going to be gold and blue. And what’s on sale in the bookstore will change. More gold. Less blue. That’s what I hear anyway.
I don't mind the blue. I just want fewer alternates that we have little to no history with (black and grey specifically). Also, stop wearing mono-color uniforms they look awful.

Let's take some tricks from ND. (Here is every jersey uniform combo they have ever worn Notre Dame Fighting Irish Uniform History (caglaze.com) )

You wear one darker color pant (Blue or Gold, No White!!!) and another color jersey (White or Blue never* Gold) We can mix things up with red as well, much like ND does with Green. Keep the helmets gold. You can make them chrome gold, you can slap a sticker on them or play a throwback without a sticker, but no white helmets, no yellow helmets, no blue helmets, no black helmets.... unless Adidas wants to sign a "Shamrock Series" deal with us.

As for your comments about the AD. Be patient. He played football here. He clearly has a low tolerance for monkey business and knows what he’s doing. The amateur hour stunts in the football program should be ending soon — whether Montgomery stays or goes.

First to the fine print items, yeah I have a lot of issues with how "Tulsa" handled this. I also know it's small and when they want to keep something they have done under wraps they can be very successful at it. However it reeks of PR to me, with just enough truth to be passable.

As to the AD, that is why I said so far. I am trying to be patient, there is a ton of transition going on inside and outside the school. Before he came back I had heard nothing but good things about him. He just himself got the job technically, the school administration is in flux, and economic situations are still unstable. I doubt this plays out the same way if this is his second or third year in charge. If covid doesn't make for the strangest year in a century it probably goes different as well.

Still, so far not anything that makes me feel more confident in where the program is headed. I'm not leaving supporting Tulsa athletics permanently (I hope and am confident) but I won't support this current form, in particular the issues with football.

The season will begin and we will listen to a lot of the last time we saw Tulsa was in that brawl last year. When Miss St starts it will be the same, last time we saw them it was in that ugly brawl vs Tulsa. It's going to come up over and over again next year, because that's what those type of stories do, it's an easy target. Which is why five plus years later the Memphis vs BYU brawl still gets brought up and referenced.

First to the fine print items, yeah I have a lot of issues with how "Tulsa" handled this. I also know it's small and when they want to keep something they have done under wraps they can be very successful at it. However it reeks of PR to me, with just enough truth to be passable.

As to the AD, that is why I said so far. I am trying to be patient, there is a ton of transition going on inside and outside the school. Before he came back I had heard nothing but good things about him. He just himself got the job technically, the school administration is in flux, and economic situations are still unstable. I doubt this plays out the same way if this is his second or third year in charge. If covid doesn't make for the strangest year in a century it probably goes different as well.

Still, so far not anything that makes me feel more confident in where the program is headed. I'm not leaving supporting Tulsa athletics permanently (I hope and am confident) but I won't support this current form, in particular the issues with football.

The season will begin and we will listen to a lot of the last time we saw Tulsa was in that brawl last year. When Miss St starts it will be the same, last time we saw them it was in that ugly brawl vs Tulsa. It's going to come up over and over again next year, because that's what those type of stories do, it's an easy target. Which is why five plus years later the Memphis vs BYU brawl still gets brought up and referenced.
Totally agree with the story not going away.

I've never really been in a physical altercation, but I thought the fight was low key entertaining. I'm also a millennial that doesn't believe in political correctness or participation trophies so maybe I'm just an odd duck.

I know one thing, that fight got us more publicity than that 3rd rate bowl was going to ever get us.

P.S. We should wear the all black unis or red jerseys for any and all brawls going forward.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
My God, get over it. You're like a teenager that cant get over a breakup after dating for a week. I get that some people are sensitive people but you're making it out to be much worse then it is. And nobody brings up the memphis vs BYU brawl aside from people on here. The only time the little fight will be brought up is the first game. You're taking it way top hard. Nobody outside of this board cares.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
My God, get over it. You're like a teenager that cant get over a breakup after dating for a week. I get that some people are sensitive people but you're making it out to be much worse then it is. And nobody brings up the memphis vs BYU brawl aside from people on here. The only time the little fight will be brought up is the first game. You're taking it way top hard. Nobody outside of this board cares.

You apologizers are all just bad at this. Try to quit making excuses.

If nobody cared ESPN wouldn't run storys and cut aways about it.

If nobody cared you wouldn't have to worry about it being brought up at the beginning of next season.

Yes, the BYU Memphis brawl comes up from people besides those on this board, usually when one team or the other does something else, or a brawl happens between to other schools. Hell people still bring up some of the tunnel fights the University of Miami got into. Those are what 1980s/1990s.

Totally agree with the story not going away.

I think a lot of people see this incident all the same, negatively. None of the people whose opinion I take seriously see it as a good thing.

I think more fans fall in the Dre/Blue/you camp than Noble/mine. I don't think its an insignifigant amount who lean towards our way though. Its certainly more than the small group who are fine with it.

Aside from a brief mention here or there the only memory anyone will have of the fight will be thanks to those of us who bought “Tulsa Started It” shirts from the MSU fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT