ADVERTISEMENT

Season tickets renewal

I got a call from TU today about football tickets. God bless them, but don’t call me. I don’t have time to take sales calls during the day. I will get tickets when I’m ready, probably with plenty to choose from.

Havent made up my mind on renewal yet...

Watching the bowl game in person was eye opening..

I think I watched 20 minutes of basketball this yr....

I think sports as a whole has become a less important part of my life in the last year..

Havent made up my mind on renewal yet...

Watching the bowl game in person was eye opening..

I think I watched 20 minutes of basketball this yr....

I think sports as a whole has become a less important part of my life in the last year..

I had a similar talk with my dad recently. I want TU to be great, but I’m also not going to go nuts over every little detail. I’m more interested in quality time. Life is too short and I’m ready to go do fun things.

I watched most of the basketball season. You didn’t miss much. I’ve mentioned this before, but something was obviously wrong from the start. If there aren’t major changes, I don’t know why I would spend time on this next year.

I had a similar talk with my dad recently. I want TU to be great, but I’m also not going to go nuts over every little detail. I’m more interested in quality time. Life is too short and I’m ready to go do fun things.

I watched most of the basketball season. You didn’t miss much. I’ve mentioned this before, but something was obviously wrong from the start. If there aren’t major changes, I don’t know why I would spend time on this next year.

I recently took stock of the last 10 yrs of my life and realized that too much of it revolved around sports.

Then the realization hit me: sports don't care about me. The games will be played. Decisions made. All without me involved.

Then i realized that i hadnt taken my son fishing in 10yrs. My parents are gone and Dad and I will never fish together again. I decided that what happens in the sporting world, music, movies, etc., is just not worth missing those moments any more...

I recently took stock of the last 10 yrs of my life and realized that too much of it revolved around sports.

Then the realization hit me: sports don't care about me. The games will be played. Decisions made. All without me involved.

Then i realized that i hadnt taken my son fishing in 10yrs. My parents are gone and Dad and I will never fish together again. I decided that what happens in the sporting world, music, movies, etc., is just not worth missing those moments any more...

Some of my fondest memories are attending Tulsa football games with my father, first with him taking me when I was a kid and then later taking him when he was older.

I would give anything to have another chance to drop him off at the gates then have to find him sitting in the wrong section after I parked.

Based on a scholarship application that he recently submitted, I’ve got a feeling that my son feels the same way about time we spend together. I’ve already told him that someone is going to have to take me to the game when I’m too old to get there on my own.

That’s a good point. This has always been about time with my family and friends. But it’s harder to justify going to watch some of this, especially basketball. My little one loves going to football for some reason (she’s five and not exactly her thing) but basketball is a stretch for her, for some other reason. Some of my best memories are with my dad when we beat A&M (and his unfriendly gestures to Aggie fans), UCLA, OSU, the Freedom Bowl, Liberty Bowl, Nashville,

I enjoyed the couple of football games I went to last year. Surprisingly didn’t miss basketball all that much, which I thought I would never say. Then again, the early and late results justified the apathy. And this is coming from someone who yelled the whole way through every 9-20 home game. Somehow not watching the incompetence of officials first hand/ dealing with parking/ traffic made me slightly happier.

If there are good memories to have, I will invest. The current product doesn’t look promising.

This is a great and very respectable viewpoint, but like most things in life mine is a little different. Some of the best memories i have of my dad are either at TU football games, or sitting in the front yard with him listening to them on the radio. We did tons of other stuff, but 12 or so days out of the year doesnt feel like too much of a commitment to me.

I don't have any Dad stories when it comes to TU (lots of George Brett stories though!), but I knew I needed to reel it back in when I'd embarrass my wife by yelling at referees. She'd come to maybe two games a year and I'd be sitting there jawing back and forth with some idiot. Good thing she wasn't there for the whole Wojcik incident :p

The point is, you guys are right. A lot of this isn't worth it. I used to come to work the next day after a TU basketball loss like it was the end of the world. People knew to stay away from me. And if they didn't, they'd get ripped one way or another. What a jackass I was.

I like the energy they have started with to get ticket holders involved again. I suspect Dickson is helping organize. I just would not include the link saying “I don’t want season tickets this year”. Be like SiriusXM and make it hard to cancel. Lol.

I like the energy they have started with to get ticket holders involved again. I suspect Dickson is helping organize. I just would not include the link saying “I don’t want season tickets this year”. Be like SiriusXM and make it hard to cancel. Lol.
“SPEAK TO A REPRESENTATIVE!!!!!!!!”

Reactions: HuffyCane
I should also add: it’s been 26 years and I still bring the old man’s stadium chair to each and every home game, even if I don’t sit on it.

He would have enjoyed this past season but would have been very vocal about not having the best QB on the field.
My son and I were very vocal at the home games this season “put in Brin!”. He grew up going to TU football and basketball games. He graduated from TU & just recently from TU law school. We do golf together and spend time together otherwise, but I’m sure many of his growing up memories include TU games, like our Notre Dame football trip and our first four basketball trip to Dayton.

I absolutely agree with Noble that sports shouldn’t consume your life. As a family we prioritized church and family time together first. As someone who has always loved sports, I’ve had to refocus & reset my priorities on multiple occasions.
Overall, TU sports has been family entertainment for us. Some seasons are definitely more entertaining than others!

Last edited:
My father thought Nolan Richardson was the moral conscience of the State of Oklahoma. Though I liked the football team before Nolan arrived, that era energized my father and he became a fan then. By the time my brother and sister and I were ready for college, we only had one choice.

The old man sat in the student section with us through the whole JD era. He was a die hard until Robinson, who he did not like very much at all for some reason. He despised Wojcik for the obvious reasons. He thinks Haith is a great coach but his own worst enemy.

He’s 86 now. He doesn’t get to games. But he watches them all. Records them. And he breaks down each players performance individually. It’s always the first topic when I call. And I call nearly every day. “Hello? Hello! Who is Haith recruiting? We need shooters!”

He was in a coma for a few days a year or so ago. I sat there wondering if I’d watched my last game with him. Then he woke up, spit out the tube, asked me for a Diet Coke and whether we had tipped off yet. I had to tell him the game was the day before.

I often tell people i feel like I was born at Skelly Stadium, in my 58 yrs, 2020 the exception, I have maybe missed 10 home games and been to any bowl game within a 15hr drive. But a few years ago I made a realization that it's not "my team" it is TU football and I am a fan. Whether they win or lose will have no effect on my job or my life. If I need to miss a game to be with my wife or grandkids, the score will be the same and my armchair qb comments will not make Coach change his philosophy or bad (IMO) decisions. He will still start his son at receiver for only one game to get him on national TV with a ranked team even though he is far from the best choice.
I will ALWAYS be a TU Fan, I will always be at all the games I can and support them, but I can't justify caring more about winning and the character of the program than the coaches or administration.
JUST MY OPINION

I often tell people i feel like I was born at Skelly Stadium, in my 58 yrs, 2020 the exception, I have maybe missed 10 home games and been to any bowl game within a 15hr drive. But a few years ago I made a realization that it's not "my team" it is TU football and I am a fan. Whether they win or lose will have no effect on my job or my life. If I need to miss a game to be with my wife or grandkids, the score will be the same and my armchair qb comments will not make Coach change his philosophy or bad (IMO) decisions. He will still start his son at receiver for only one game to get him on national TV with a ranked team even though he is far from the best choice.
I will ALWAYS be a TU Fan, I will always be at all the games I can and support them, but I can't justify caring more about winning and the character of the program than the coaches or administration.
JUST MY OPINION

I know what you mean about feeling like being born at the stadium. My parents took home movies (remember those?) of my mother holding me at my first game at just a few months old.

I had a family member attend 62 years without a missed home game. At 50, he got an autographed football and a featured story on Fox-23. I thought that would be a fun thing to try for but had to drop out after 42 years due to youth football commitments. I now miss an occasional Friday night game if it conflicts with local high school activities.

I hope you make it back out to the stadium this season.

I know what you mean about feeling like being born at the stadium. My parents took home movies (remember those?) of my mother holding me at my first game at just a few months old.

I had a family member attend 62 years without a missed home game. At 50, he got an autographed football and a featured story on Fox-23. I thought that would be a fun thing to try for but had to drop out after 42 years due to youth football commitments. I now miss an occasional Friday night game if it conflicts with local high school activities.

I hope you make it back out to the stadium this season.

I work high school games so I don't really count those as misses now. I am sure you remember getting dressed up to go to the game, not in face paint, in slacks or dress for the ladies. Of course Dad always took his own coffee "Special mix" LOL to the games.

I work high school games so I don't really count those as misses now. I am sure you remember getting dressed up to go to the game, not in face paint, in slacks or dress for the ladies. Of course Dad always took his own coffee "Special mix" LOL to the games.
I still occasionally attend Georgia games with friends where tie and sports jacket is expected. The women spend a mortgage payment on their attire. It’s a time warp.

I had a short conversation with some people from the TU/ticket office today. Was given an email to contact and we will see if I get a response.

Just from the conversation it seems Tulsa is concerned about people returning and support. They didn't seem surprised by my bringing up the brawl or past performance, which says I am far from the first person to have these issues.

My dad was only able to come to 2 home games a year and if we played on or close to the east coast he came to those games. Same held true during my professional days although he was the first on the block to install directv with the simple purpose of getting the NFL ticket. He passed away from cancer in 09’ and never got to see my boys grow up and become what they are today. If he did he would have lost his mind with the fun he would be having. I will say this, my family and friends will be at ALL home TU games and many away games supporting my son and his teammates the same way the fans supported me and my teammates when I wore the Blue and Gold. Tulsa is a special place. It is my home, my alma mater and the place that helped raise me. I have no idea the type of career my son will have at TU, I just hope that he gets to experience the same type of support from alums and fans that me and my teammates did. Now is not the time for alumni and fan apathy. Support is needed now more than ever before. If you let it The University of Tulsa will change your life......It definitely transformed mine.

If QB play improves this season, and our defense can sustain its success without Zaven, then this year could be a really good one to have season tickets to.

If QB play improves this season, and our defense can sustain its success without Zaven, then this year could be a really good one to have season tickets to.
I am actually more optimistic about football this year than basketball, just based on having Brin at QB. Which never happens for me.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
My expectations for this season are unreasonably high. I won't even say out loud what I think is possible. As long as we have good QB play, the sky is the limit for this group. Wouldn't miss this season in person for the world.

You need a consistent and experienced QB that meets minimum physical ability standards, a tackle and a deep threat in modern college football. You can rig the rest. If we’ve added the deep threat and Brin is both ready and can play a full package, we could be very tough to beat in the conference.

Last edited:
My dad was only able to come to 2 home games a year and if we played on or close to the east coast he came to those games. Same held true during my professional days although he was the first on the block to install directv with the simple purpose of getting the NFL ticket. He passed away from cancer in 09’ and never got to see my boys grow up and become what they are today. If he did he would have lost his mind with the fun he would be having. I will say this, my family and friends will be at ALL home TU games and many away games supporting my son and his teammates the same way the fans supported me and my teammates when I wore the Blue and Gold. Tulsa is a special place. It is my home, my alma mater and the place that helped raise me. I have no idea the type of career my son will have at TU, I just hope that he gets to experience the same type of support from alums and fans that me and my teammates did. Now is not the time for alumni and fan apathy. Support is needed now more than ever before. If you let it The University of Tulsa will change your life......It definitely transformed mine.
Couldnt agree more. Well said. These kids put so much blood, sweat and tears into every game. They deserve to have as many people there as possible every game. I know I'll be there every game. Dont care if we're playing UC Davis or Alabama, they work too hard to have to play in front of an empty stadium. Also think if youre thinking of using the excuse of not attending games because a fight that happened, you probably weren't going to attend anyway

Its always funny how these threads turn into "biggest fan" genital measuring contests..
No not at all Noble..... This isn’t a Big Richard contest.....I stated how I feel. It’s America and you can do what ever you want.....As a alum and a fan I get as frustrated as anyone however I choose to support the kids and the school.
JMHO

No not at all Noble..... This isn’t a Big Richard contest.....I stated how I feel. It’s America and you can do what ever you want.....As a alum and a fan I get as frustrated as anyone however I choose to support the kids and the school.
JMHO
Its interesting that you thought i was talking about you.

I hear rumors that we won’t be buying anymore white helmets and it always will be some form of blue and gold at home. Whether the reds are coming back for homecoming etc is still being talked about.

so the all yellows are still on the table? Noice!

I believe they only have blue and white uniforms in Adidas. The team is sponsored by Adidas so to have a different variation they would need to either purchase new ones or change sponsorship.

I hear rumors that we won’t be buying anymore white helmets and it always will be some form of blue and gold at home. Whether the reds are coming back for homecoming etc is still being talked about.
I think they should rock them for senior day like ND does with the kelly green.

I believe they only have blue and white uniforms in Adidas. The team is sponsored by Adidas so to have a different variation they would need to either purchase new ones or change sponsorship.
Dont be so sure ...

Couldnt agree more. Well said. These kids put so much blood, sweat and tears into every game. They deserve to have as many people there as possible every game. I know I'll be there every game. Dont care if we're playing UC Davis or Alabama, they work too hard to have to play in front of an empty stadium. Also think if youre thinking of using the excuse of not attending games because a fight that happened, you probably weren't going to attend anyway

It's amazing to me how many apologist use this.

I am still waiting to here about the last time a Tulsa athletic team was in a brawl. Just going to go ahead and put down money it wasn't after we lost a game.

It's also funny how many of you act like this was an out of the blue incident, rather than something that had built all year progressively getting worse and actually started 3 seasons ago. The team represents the school not the other way around.

Which makes the fact that our coach never talks about responsibility an issue, even more so when players are appropriately punished and the coach is not. When players are publically reprimanded but our coach does nothing.

The school changed my life, it is one of the few choices in my life I actually got to make. I don't fault Dre for his view or his support, I also was in the press box when he saw what Burns did to this program. That moment he felt then is how some of us feel now. Even then some people had blue and gold glasses on, that's ok too.

I'll be back to support this team when this coach reflects the values (responsibility, integrity) I see in the University, I don't think that will ever happen under Monty. Say what you want to about Haith but this will never be an issue for him even if winning may be.

Our AD is disappointing so far to say the best I can about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT