ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

I doubt many, if any of the board posters had permission to view the event, with covid policies enstated.

Last edited:
Someone needs to hover a Drone with a camera and then report, lol.

Reactions: shon46
Someone needs to hover a Drone with a camera and then report, lol.
Not as easy as you think it is. Not sure if TU is considered restricted air space because of how close to the airport it is meaning they would need to file with the FAA when they wanted to fly the drone over campus. And if you're flying it above 10 feet you'd need the Part 107 FAA UAS license.

Not as easy as you think it is. Not sure if TU is considered restricted air space because of how close to the airport it is meaning they would need to file with the FAA when they wanted to fly the drone over campus. And if you're flying it above 10 feet you'd need the Part 107 FAA UAS license.
TU isn’t anywhere close to the airport.

It’s against state law and federal regulations to operate a hobby drone within 400 feet of critical infrastructure. IIRC, CISA has designated parts of TU as critical infrastructure. Between that and the university policy against using drones to do, among other things, follow sorority girls to class or spy on their sunbathing, you’ll be talking to a cop and a member of the football staff asking what you are going to do with the footage pretty quick. Whether it blocks George Kaiser’s jet landing pattern might be relevant, but you don’t have to get that far.

It’s against state law and federal regulations to operate a hobby drone within 400 feet of critical infrastructure. IIRC, CISA has designated parts of TU as critical infrastructure. Between that and the university policy against using drones to do, among other things, follow sorority girls to class or spy on their sunbathing, you’ll be talking to a cop and a member of the football staff asking what you are going to do with the footage pretty quick. Whether it blocks George Kaiser’s jet landing pattern might be relevant, but you don’t have to get that far.
A couple years ago, I proposed drone racing for a halftime show with Blue, Gold, Red, etc... lighted drones, with a course kind of like they have on ESPN. I'm sure it would be some sort of a safety hazard, but it would be cool if you could make it safe. It could be operated with a sponsor and a drone assigned to each section like the coin videos used to be for River Spirit. Winning Drone / Section gets a taco or something.

I'm also sure there's some regulatory reason against it like the one you mentioned.

I also suggested that Captain Cane Rappel in from the Don Rey Rafters before games like Benny The Bull used to for the Chicago Bulls, but I was told to do that you'd have to have the Rappeler be some licensed firemen or something. I really wish they'd take a page from Benny the Bull and make Captain Cane more interactive and have some during-game skits or something. He looks so ridiculous that the only thing you can really do with him is make him ham it up. Of course the suit probably needs to be made more mobile for him to be able to do some of that stuff.

Last edited:
I’d rather put the cost of his insurance to do that into the football recruiting budget.

I’d rather put the cost of his insurance to do that into the football recruiting budget.
Fair enough. Lol. I just think there's definitely some cheapish things that can be done to spice up the game atmosphere when fans come back.

Fair enough. Lol. I just think there's definitely some cheapish things that can be done to spice up the game atmosphere when fans come back.
The price of the insurance policy for a lifetime of paralysis care for a 20 year old college student who may or may not be drunk to swing from ropes 100 feet above a crowded concrete floor is not cheap.

The price of the insurance policy for a lifetime of paralysis care for a 20 year old college student who may or may not be drunk to swing from ropes 100 feet above a crowded concrete floor is not cheap.
Why the hell would you rappel drunk? Moreover, it doesn't have to be a college student to do it. That's the beauty of a costume. Just have someone more qualified do it to start the game and then have them switch directly after the starting lineups.

I'd be more worried about liability if something mechanical failed. (Like the anchor point or the rappel device) You could always have them sign a waiver as well.

A couple years ago, I proposed drone racing for a halftime show with Blue, Gold, Red, etc... lighted drones, with a course kind of like they have on ESPN. I'm sure it would be some sort of a safety hazard, but it would be cool if you could make it safe. It could be operated with a sponsor and a drone assigned to each section like the coin videos used to be for River Spirit. Winning Drone / Section gets a taco or something.

I'm also sure there's some regulatory reason against it like the one you mentioned.

I also suggested that Captain Cane Rappel in from the Don Rey Rafters before games like Benny The Bull used to for the Chicago Bulls, but I was told to do that you'd have to have the Rappeler be some licensed firemen or something. I really wish they'd take a page from Benny the Bull and make Captain Cane more interactive and have some during-game skits or something. He looks so ridiculous that the only thing you can really do with him is make him ham it up. Of course the suit probably needs to be made more mobile for him to be able to do some of that stuff.
So weird thing....you don't actually have to have the FAA Part 107 license to fly the drone indoors. It only governs when flying outside because of how many "near miss" incidents with drones and helicopters, small planes, etc. I think they could do it at a football game, get a variance like they do with the fireworks.

Why the hell would you rappel drunk? Moreover, it doesn't have to be a college student to do it. That's the beauty of a costume. Just have someone more qualified do it to start the game and then have them switch directly after the starting lineups.

I'd be more worried about liability if something mechanical failed. (Like the anchor point or the rappel device) You could always have them sign a waiver as well.
There’s only one sweaty suit dude.

And how long does it take to switch into and out of it? 10 minutes? No one's going to miss Captain Cane for that long. Trust me.
You’ve clearly never been a mascot. Nobody wants to share a suit, even pre-CoVid.

You’ve clearly never been a mascot. Nobody wants to share a suit, even pre-CoVid.
Lol. I woulda done it for 10 minutes, then gone and changed. Would have been neat to see. You don't have to do it at every game. Just one or two.

I'd also like to plant a 'fan' (staff member) in the opponent's jersey for every conference game and have Captain Cane do wacky things to them so you could put it on the big screen. That costs what $500 for jerseys that could be reused every season? In Chicago they spray them with silly string. Put them right in the middle of the student's section and have Captain Cane lead the student's section in all silly stringing them.

Wouldn't stop Bill Belichick.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So weird thing....you don't actually have to have the FAA Part 107 license to fly the drone indoors. It only governs when flying outside because of how many "near miss" incidents with drones and helicopters, small planes, etc. I think they could do it at a football game, get a variance like they do with the fireworks.
Apparently they have to worry about people in jet packs at 3000 feet now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT