ADVERTISEMENT

Scott frost did great things at UCF

Nebraska hasn’t won anything before or after the era where the school allowed partial qualifiers and the functionally illiterate could graduate.

They invented the facilities arms race because they were desperate to attract somebody/anybody besides walkons, active gang members and kids who could barely read. nobody wants/wanted to go to school there unless they were from Nebraska or had no place else to go.

TU’s academics has played a role, but Tulsa being an undesirable place for a 17 year old has played a big role in holding back the program.

TU’s academics has played a role, but Tulsa being an undesirable place for a 17 year old has played a big role in holding back the program.
But UNLV, FAU, FIU, Miami, FSU, Tulane (outside the last year or two), and many other programs in desirable areas have sucked.

I think there is more appeal in an actual college town than a fun/party location, but that’s just my opinion. City schools can offer the best of both worlds though - TU can and should capitalize on what Tulsa has to offer.

No to Scott Frost. There’s way better options available.
His well documented personality issues at UCF and Nebraska, not to mention his horrible behavior as a player, will keep him out of the coaching picture for awhile. Needs Saban’s Analytics and Rehab Center. Whether the old man will take him is another issue.

But UNLV, FAU, FIU, Miami, FSU, Tulane (outside the last year or two), and many other programs in desirable areas have sucked.

I think there is more appeal in an actual college town than a fun/party location, but that’s just my opinion. City schools can offer the best of both worlds though - TU can and should capitalize on what Tulsa has to offer.
And there are lots of pretty good or better programs in cities that nobody would want to go to except for the college town element. E.g., OU, OSU, anything in the states of Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Iowa, Ohio... the good news is that the university has to work on this to advance all its non-athletic initiatives, too (it's probably harder to get a top flight software development student to come to Tulsa than to get a football player), so this hopefully will get better and better.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2

You are right about the college town aspect of it. Without me being too crass about it, let me try to say that the female student body of thousands of young black women a few miles from Doak Campbell stadium has done more to build up FSU than any amenity or the warm weather. They didn’t have a legit IPF until the year before Jimbo left in a city where it rains 250 days a year. What they had was worse than Mabee Gym. Didn’t need one. Recruiting visits always included a trip to a house party over by FAMU. Similarly FAU, despite the weather, has struggled in comparison to UCF and USF because it’s in a retirement community. Listen to Kiffin talk about why he went to FAU (for the recruiting base) and why he left (he could see where he was at it wasn’t going to change. He couldn’t turn FAU into Miami in a town with everyone in their 80s).

TU has and will always lose the battle for a fairly large portion of the potential recruits because we lack many of the attractions to the 16 year old mind. Many of those can be overcome, like Nebraska once did, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t significant. Ask any 16 year old future petroleum engineering student where he is going after he has visited OU and TU. I want something larger with better opportunities is often the polite way of articulating that they want a campus which is surrounded with student oriented businesses, more amenities, and more girls to strike out with. I agree TU can and should counter with what TU and Tulsa can offer. A tour of campus with the admissions office includes a bus tour of the city too. But we aren’t 16 any more and what’s attractive to us isn’t typically attractive to kids trying to decide between going to places like Tulsa, Boca Raton, and even Boulder, and places like Tampa, Houston, Dallas, and even Charlotte. These are just facts to face. We are unique, I love that uniqueness, but we aren’t for everyone and that means working harder but being realistic about the situation. Your average Nebraska fan is not realistic right now because they have no recognition of what built that place and what was done and spent to overcome pretty substantial recruiting barriers.

Last edited:
You are right about the college town aspect of it. Without me being too crass about it, let me try to say that the female student body of thousands of young black women a few miles from Doak Campbell stadium has done more to build up FSU than any amenity or the warm weather. They didn’t have a legit IPF until the year before Jimbo left in a city where it rains 250 days a year. What they had was worse than Mabee Gym. Didn’t need one. Recruiting visits always included a trip to a house party over by FAMU. Similarly FAU, despite the weather, has struggled in comparison to UCF and USF because it’s in a retirement community. Listen to Kiffin talk about why he went to FAU (for the recruiting base) and why he left (he could see where he was at it wasn’t going to change. He couldn’t turn FAU into Miami in a town with everyone in their 80s).

TU has and will always lose the battle for a fairly large portion of the potential recruits because we lack many of the attractions to the 16 year old mind. Many of those can be overcome, like Nebraska once did, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t significant. Ask any 16 year old future petroleum engineering student where he is going after he has visited OU and TU. I want something larger with better opportunities is often the polite way of articulating that they want a campus which is surrounded with student oriented businesses, more amenities, and more girls to strike out with. I agree TU can and should counter with what TU and Tulsa can offer. A tour of campus with the admissions office includes a bus tour of the city too. But we aren’t 16 any more and what’s attractive to us isn’t typically attractive to kids trying to decide between going to places like Tulsa, Boca Raton, and even Boulder, and places like Tampa, Houston, Dallas, and even Charlotte. These are just facts to face. We are unique, I love that uniqueness, but we aren’t for everyone and that means working harder but being realistic about the situation. Your average Nebraska fan is not realistic right now because they have no recognition of what built that place and what was done and spent to overcome pretty substantial recruiting barriers.
This is why our next coach has to be a transfer portal genius...

There are plenty of geniuses on this board. One of y’all get busy a learnin’ this new fangled portal thang.
That’s why you should contact Stigler under whatever alias he’s using this hour.

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane

I attended both OU and TU and I never thought much of Norman as a college town. Bar scene was pretty weak and not much else to do. (There were certainly plenty of girls to strikeout with though). Most of the time we went to OKC for fun anyway. I always kind of figured Norman hurt OU in recruiting, except that you can always drive 30 min to OKC.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I attended both OU and TU and I never thought much of Norman as a college town. Bar scene was pretty weak and not much else to do. (There were certainly plenty of girls to strikeout with though). Most of the time we went to OKC for fun anyway. I always kind of figured Norman hurt OU in recruiting, except that you can always drive 30 min to OKC.
OKC where there's a bar every 8 miles.(Just makin fun of how OKC is so spread out.)

Yeah...we're off that train. We don't need a big name splash hire to fire up the fan base. We need a guy who can win and recruit and sustain success. This hire really needs to be more along the lines of a Kragthorpe even if it's a name we all know and love. I think Wells is an easy choice but I think our sustained success might be better in the hands of someone younger who has something to prove at this level. A guy with a real plan.

It’s more than winning. That’s the floor, not the goal.

TU needs someone who will win AND participate in sustainable growth on the business and fundraising side. We’ve never really had that except Graham and his personality and ability on that end was curbed by the need for alignment with Stead and Bubba. They were a great team but Graham had the talent to make more friends for us and the personality that would have made such efforts self defeating.

The days of calling plays and staying in your lane need to be over. TU needs civic pride in the team and you don’t get that losing and watching tape in the Case Center.

It’s more than winning. That’s the floor, not the goal.

TU needs someone who will win AND participate in sustainable growth on the business and fundraising side. We’ve never really had that except Graham and his personality and ability on that end was curbed by the need for alignment with Stead and Bubba. They were a great team but Graham had the talent to make more friends for us and the personality that would have made such efforts self defeating.

The days of calling plays and staying in your lane need to be over. TU needs civic pride in the team and you don’t get that losing and watching tape in the Case Center.
I miss Graham honestly.

I miss his rage on the sidelines. Dude had some fire in his belly.
I miss hearing him yell at Russ, the equipment guy. My parents sat in the lower section on the 50 and after I told them about that they started screaming "RUSS!" at random times during the game to get him to run around looking for diet Dr pepper (Graham's drink).

I remember when utep fans used to come to the board and argue with us. The good ol days
Yes, I sat with Catbird at a couple of UTEP games. He really liked to give them the business.

They may have been his favorite opponent just because of the message board banter.

Reactions: TU 1978
Fun fact - we’ve only lost to UCF three times ever and he managed to do it twice in one season.

He did have a good record against UTEP though.
Of the Top 10 most played teams by UCF, they have a winning record against every team except Tulsa.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT