ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

I wish the Royals weren't blacked out along with the Cardinals and Rangers on The MLB network in Tulsa. It doesn’t make sense to me. I've made phone calls to no avail.
Instead the Cardinals game will be on two, three or four channels. Some Royals games are televised locally.
I'm looking forward to the season and usually get to a couple of games a year, sometimes more.
Hope you can get away to a game or two this season.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Undefeated after one game!
How about Bobby Witt Jr with the game winning RBI in the 8th inning.
Youngest ever major league debut by a Royal.
The expectations are so high for Witt.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
We SUCK!

Took my father to the game Monday evening for early Father's Day.

At least they were celebrating the Chiefs Super Bowl with a Pregame ceremony. Mahomes, Kelce, Reid and another 15 or so team members were recognized.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Royals won big last night. Hope you enjoyed your time at the game.
Still one of the better stadiums in my biased opinion and I've been to 12 MLB stadiums. From old stadiums, Wrigley and Fenway to the new Yankee Stadium and nine other stadiums.
My favorite was Fenway.
I'm not in favor of a new downtown stadium for the Royals, but it's gonna happen.

Royals won big last night. Hope you enjoyed your time at the game.
Still one of the better stadiums in my biased opinion and I've been to 12 MLB stadiums. From old stadiums, Wrigley and Fenway to the new Yankee Stadium and nine other stadiums.
My favorite was Fenway.
I'm not in favor of a new downtown stadium for the Royals, but it's gonna happen.
I've been outside of Fenway but not inside. My favorite is Wrigley Field, but I really like Kauffman. The game was great...I hadn't been to a Royals game in over a decade. Witt Jr. and Perez hit back to back homers. Perez hit another one later, and then someone else hit a dinger. They were beating up on the Red Sox pitching staff. It was 11-0 when we left, and I think the final was 13-2.

Reactions: TUMU
I've been outside of Fenway but not inside. My favorite is Wrigley Field, but I really like Kauffman. The game was great...I hadn't been to a Royals game in over a decade. Witt Jr. and Perez hit back to back homers. Perez hit another one later, and then someone else hit a dinger. They were beating up on the Red Sox pitching staff. It was 11-0 when we left, and I think the final was 13-2.

Winning 12 to 0 today after 5 innings.

Hope you got out to a few good KC restaurants.

Royals making more moves. Lol.

Royals add starting pitcher Wacha, outfielder Renfroe, per reports, then trade Olivares
CHARLES LECLAIRE • USA TODAY SPORTS
The Royals landed a formidable starting pitcher Friday, with Michael Wacha heading to Kansas City after playing last season with the San Diego Padres.
Royals add starting pitcher Wacha, outfielder Renfroe, per reports, then trade Olivares
BY JAYLON THOMPSON
JATHOMPSON@KCSTAR.COM
1 day ago
The Kansas City Royals continued to re-tool their roster on Friday, reportedly adding starting pitcher Michael Wacha and outfielder Hunter Renfroe in separate transactions.

And they were just getting started — later-day deals would include sending outfielder Edward Olivares to the Pittsburg Pirates. But more about that in a moment.

The addition of Wacha, 32, certainly strengthens the Royals’ starting rotation. He signed a two-year, $32 million contract with KC, per ESPN’s Jeff Passan. The deal also includes an opt-out clause after the first season, per reports.

ADVERTISEMENT
Wacha is the second starting pitcher to join the Royals for 2024. Kansas City officially signed another former San Diego Padres pitcher, Seth Lugo, earlier this week.

In 24 starts for the Padres last season, Wacha was 14-4 with a 3.22 ERA. He logged 134 1/3 innings and 124 strikeouts. Wacha pitched for Tampa Bay in 2021; current Royals manager Matt Quatraro was a member of the Rays’ coaching staff at that time.

''
ORLANDO RAMIREZ • USA TODAY SPORTS
The Royals landed a formidable starting pitcher Friday, with Michael Wacha heading to Kansas City after playing last season with the San Diego Padres.
The Royals’ starting rotation for next season is expected to feature Wacha, Lugo, Cole Ragans, Brady Singer and Jordan Lyles.

ADVERTISEMENT
“We feel like it’s time for us to make a significant move,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said Thursday. “We went through two years of giving opportunity (during the season).”

Both Renfroe and Wacha bring veteran experience as the Royals continue to push toward contention in the American League Central.

Renfroe agreed to a one-year deal with a player option for the 2025 season, per MLB.com insider Mark Feinsand. The contract is reportedly valued at $13 million and includes performance incentives.

''
KATIE STRATMAN • USA TODAY SPORTS
Former Reds right fielder Hunter Renfroe liked the look of his solo home run during a game against the Chicago Cubs this season at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati.
ADVERTISEMENT
Renfroe, 31, hit .233 with 20 home runs and 60 RBIs this past season. He’s a power hitter who’s hit 20 or more home runs six times. He played for the Los Angeles Angels and Cincinnati Reds this year.

The Royals have desired an impact bat this offseason and Renfroe would seem to qualify. He generated a 39.1 hard-hit percentage in 2023 and is expected to join a crowded KC outfield that includes Nelson Velázquez, MJ Melendez, and Drew Waters.

Like Wacha, Renfroe also has experience with Quatraro. He spent the COVID-shortened 2020 season with the Rays.

Royals trade Olivares to Pirates
Later Friday, the Royals traded outfielder Olivares to the Pirates for minor-league prospect Deivis Nadal.

Olivares spent four seasons with the Royals. He hit .265 with 23 home runs and 70 RBI in 217 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
Nadal, 21, played 101 games last season for Low-A Bradenton in the Pirates’ minor-league system. He hit .212 with eight home runs, 39 RBIs and 33 stolen bases.

MLB.com reporter Anne Rogers was first to report the agreement between the Royals and Pirates.

Royals officially sign reliever Chris Stratton
The Royals strengthened their bullpen Friday, too, signing reliever Chris Stratton to a one-year deal. The contract includes a player option for the 2025 season.

Stratton, 33, brings a lot of experience. He pitched for the St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers last season and won a World Series ring. He posted a 3.92 ERA in 82 2/3 innings in 2023 and has the ability to finish games.

Stratton, like fellow new arrivals Will Smith and Nick Anderson, will likely be used in high-leverage situations. Smith is likely going to be the Royals’ opening day closer.

ADVERTISEMENT
“We love the way his fastball plays,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said of Stratton. “It’s a high-spin fastball and a swing-and-miss fastball. Over 30% strikeout rate on that pitch. And his curveball for years has been regarded as one of the best in the game. He’s got two other pitches to go with that.”

Stratton is excited to join the Royals. He looks forward to helping mentor the younger pitchers on the KC roster.

“I’ve been in a situation before, where unfortunately, you know, you have a tough season,” Stratton said. “Being in Pittsburgh (with the Pirates), a couple seasons we had with them, I enjoyed the mentoring part. I just think that comes with age and experience. Hopefully, I can pour into some of these younger guys and help elevate their game, as well.”

Royals content after multiple signings
While the Royals had yet to announce the signings of Wacha and Renfroe on Friday evening, Picollo said earlier in the day that he was pleased with the overall roster as currently constructed.

“I think the best way to answer that is if spring training started tomorrow, we would be content,” Picollo said. “We’ve hit our goals. As far as what we’re trying to do, there’s still some things to be determined, some things to be finalized. We’ve hit our goals, but Q (Royals manager Matt Quatraro) says it all the time, ‘You never have enough good players.’ So, if there’s ways for us to improve our team on the margins, we’re going to look to improve the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
“There’s certainly going to be some staples that are pretty obvious, but if we can improve the depth in any way, we’re going to continue to do it. It’s a long year, it’s a tough season, you have injuries, you have to be able to overcome them. So that depth is really important.”

Poor Royals, stuck in the cellar again.
Houston Astros Win GIF by MLB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT