ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Burton

Jan 24, 2023
Congratulations on landing Ron Burton. I've been following Michigan State football for over 55 years He's easily the best DL coach that Michigan State has had in 30 years and one of the best assistant coaches we've had in a generation. Under Mark Dantonio, the defensive line was the strength of the program for over a decade thanks to Coach Burton.

He's a great coach on the field and a humble, decent man off the field. I think that Coach Tucker made a mistake in parting ways with Burton. We suffered last season without him.

Get ready to start having good defensive lines at Tulsa. He's a good one.

Congratulations on landing Ron Burton. I've been following Michigan State football for over 55 years He's easily the best DL coach that Michigan State has had in 30 years and one of the best assistant coaches we've had in a generation. Under Mark Dantonio, the defensive line was the strength of the program for over a decade thanks to Coach Burton.

He's a great coach on the field and a humble, decent man off the field. I think that Coach Tucker made a mistake in parting ways with Burton. We suffered last season without him.

Get ready to start having good defensive lines at Tulsa. He's a good one.
Thanks for the info, NevadaGreen.

We appreciate the comments, Nevada. Kevin Wilson has assembled a very impressive coaching staff.

On that topic, didn't I read that Burton is also assistant head coach? Would like to understand what that entails, and where KW is going with that.

Yeah that Michigan State DL we played against 3-4 years ago was beastly. Nearly killed our QB that season and he was certainly running for his life on most plays.
Even when the Dantonio program began to flatline in 2018-2019, the defensive line was stout and kept us in ballgames despite a terrible offense.

We appreciate the comments, Nevada. Kevin Wilson has assembled a very impressive coaching staff.

On that topic, didn't I read that Burton is also assistant head coach? Would like to understand what that entails, and where KW is going with that.
Particularly since he is not DC.

That kid is Devin Lamp's size coming out of HS. If I recall, Gipson wasn't too much heavier when he got on campus.

Reactions: StoopsBros
Does anybody besides me remember Burton as a Dallas Cowboy? The guy could play. He could hit. Converted from a DL in college, the rookie FA made the team as a linebacker in 1987, and got significant playing time at the end of the season. Was a starter at outside linebacker on an ill-fated 1988 team that had a decent defense but disastrous Steve Pelleur at QB.

Jimmy Johnson takes over in 1989, and Burton hangs around for a while but gets cut during the season. Johnson was looking for speed, speed, and more speed, and Burton wasn't that fast.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
That kid is Devin Lamp's size coming out of HS. If I recall, Gipson wasn't too much heavier when he got on campus.
He must really have been trying to keep the weight off for wrestling. Wrestled at 182 last season at his height he must have been cutting like crazy. Get him in the weight room and eating and he will likely grow to be a very big boy.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT