ADVERTISEMENT

Rogers HS Football

I heard that was happening and was wondering if they were going to build around the existing practice and track facility on campus. Honestly, the only thing they were missing was a press box, bathrooms, and a stand structure. Hopefully, with the addition of the stadium and it's somewhat recent designation of a magnet school (you now have to apply and meet a standard minimum GPA/testing to get in, similar to Booker T) they can start improving their athletics program. As long as I have been in Tulsa and as close as I was to Will Rogers HS, I had never been inside the actual school building until this past year. The building is amazing. The art deco is a real treasure. It does lack some needed infrastructure like updated plumbing and bathroom fixtures, but the hallways, the auditorium, and the old gym are very classic.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Nathan Hale and East Central need to be consolidated . Memorial and Edison should have been combined before spending millions on their new field houses . Besides Booker T. Washington , the other Tulsa public high schools are mere shadows of themselves when student population was at 80,000 per year. Now it’s not even half that number .

Nathan Hale and East Central need to be consolidated . Memorial and Edison should have been combined before spending millions on their new field houses . Besides Booker T. Washington , the other Tulsa public high schools are mere shadows of themselves when student population was at 80,000 per year. Now it’s not even half that number .
What outcome would you hope to achieve by consolidating some of the high schools?

It would initially save money... That would be later spent by the hiring of more people in made up positions at the Self-Serve Center...

What outcome would you hope to achieve by consolidating some of the high schools?
Administration staffs cut in half , valid teachers in the classrooms with actual college degrees , operational bldg. overhead costs and of course larger number of potential athletes if they are so inclined to sports .
When my sons graduated from Memorial High School they were still playing Broken Arrow and Jenks every year in football with the usual 49-0 halftime score . Basketball was a different matter because of the numbers needed .

No matter how much $$$$ they save, TPS has a long history of squandering the savings. They will never cut the administration staffs in half if they consolidate the schools. They will just make up some new positions and reassign them to those positions at their current or a higher salary. The Self-Service Center only looks out for themselves, it is what they do best!

I heard that was happening and was wondering if they were going to build around the existing practice and track facility on campus. Honestly, the only thing they were missing was a press box, bathrooms, and a stand structure. Hopefully, with the addition of the stadium and it's somewhat recent designation of a magnet school (you now have to apply and meet a standard minimum GPA/testing to get in, similar to Booker T) they can start improving their athletics program. As long as I have been in Tulsa and as close as I was to Will Rogers HS, I had never been inside the actual school building until this past year. The building is amazing. The art deco is a real treasure. It does lack some needed infrastructure like updated plumbing and bathroom fixtures, but the hallways, the auditorium, and the old gym are very classic.
I am a 1992 graduate of Will Rogers and that track and field area was made that way as a water run off to prevent flooding. There were zero plans to change that. Sometimes we had soccer practice and it was spongy lol. I always thought it would be great to have our own stadium instead of having to go to lafortune for every game.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I am a 1992 graduate of Will Rogers and that track and field area was made that way as a water run off to prevent flooding. There were zero plans to change that. Sometimes we had soccer practice and it was spongy lol. I always thought it would be great to have our own stadium instead of having to go to lafortune for every game.
Memorial , Hale and Rogers football is a complete fraud and then you have the “Mr Sports center Gil Cloud who has been RUN OFF every job he’s ever had. But of course not the Tulsa Public Schools job .

Memorial , Hale and Rogers football is a complete fraud and then you have the “Mr Sports center Gil Cloud who has been RUN OFF every job he’s ever had. But of course not the Tulsa Public Schools job .
Rogers hasn’t had a good team in forever

Administration staffs cut in half , valid teachers in the classrooms with actual college degrees , operational bldg. overhead costs and of course larger number of potential athletes if they are so inclined to sports .
When my sons graduated from Memorial High School they were still playing Broken Arrow and Jenks every year in football with the usual 49-0 halftime score . Basketball was a different matter because of the numbers needed .
Ok. I was hoping it just wasn’t a pure athletic motive. Not sure what the class sizes are in each of those schools but you’d want to keep them around 20 for maximum teaching effectiveness. I agree there seems to be a lot of waste in public school systems with admin costs. I wasn’t aware of the issues with having teachers without at least a Bachelor’s degree. My kids are in Union so I’m sure the atmosphere and philosophy is changed a bit. Even the schools on the north side of the district are getting a good amount of resources to match those on the southern side. I have noticed though one of the biggest differences is parent involvement. My son went to Grove for 1st and 2nd grade and the parent involvement was little to non-existent. We moved to a different school and had much better parent involvement and the school as a while performs better, fewer discipline problems and teachers who remain engaged b/c they’re focused on teaching and not trying to diagnose potential home issues, etc. My son’s 2nd grade teacher at Grove told us she didn’t assign homework because she wouldn’t get half of it back and she wasn’t going to waste the energy for that return. (2nd graders get like 10 addition problems or a reading log for the most part). Just shows the power parent involvement has on teachers and schools as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT