ADVERTISEMENT

Righteous Gemstones

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
If you've not seen this show, it's absolutely hilarious. Satire on super wealthy, super powerful evangelical pastors and their families. While it's probable a composite of the most well-known of the evangelical pastors out there, a lot of it seems to harken back to the Daugherty's here in Tulsa. Of course Danny McBride (East Bound and Down) is one of the key figures so you can imagine the hilarity that follows.

I actually didn’t think it was that funny snd had way too much violence. And many here know my record with evangelicals and love of Quentin Tarantino. McBride is funny, but from what I saw, I thought this was well worth skipping.

I actually didn’t think it was that funny snd had way too much violence. And many here know my record with evangelicals and love of Quentin Tarantino. McBride is funny, but from what I saw, I thought this was well worth skipping.
I sort of enjoy the dark twisted side of the show and the hypocritical nature...which is where the obvious satire comes in. I mean, does anyone really doubt a bunch of these evangelicals have dark, sordid underworld lives away from the cameras and spotlight in part driven by the $$$?

No I don’t. You’d be amazed. I have been dealing with a portion of that world on a case for the past several years. I can’t share the story, but there was a moment of truth at the end that could be read as dark humor, but ultimately incredibly sad if you think about it and actually have faith. There are plenty of LOL moments too. The actual lives of these people is actually the best satire.

I will share an actual quote from one of these guys that is taped to my white board. It’s so incredibly ironic and terrible. It explains so much of what is wrong with our culture. “The right to to believe what we choose to believe is absolute. We even have the right to defraud people with that belief.”

Someone built an architectural nightmare on south Lewis with that philosophy.

I’ve been curious about that show but the Mrs LEC and I can’t ever seem to get around to it. We got the HBO Max bc we wanted to watch some of the old school crap like Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc. But then it didn’t have Sonic Highways which really pissed us right off. That was HBO. Why is it not on there?! Sonic Highways and the original Tenacious D is amazing rock and roll television.

Someone built an architectural nightmare on south Lewis with that philosophy.
Like I said, I think there is some truth to this being loosely based on the Daugherty's and some of the ridiculous issues that family has had/continues to have...

I know ORU has a crazy rep and rightfully so. The individuals that run that school now are so wrapped up in their own egos and $$$ it's sad. Even Oral himself had some moments. I will tell you from meeting him (and I don't consider myself a rah rah evangelical AT ALL...I'm more of a reserved Methodist), there was something about Oral that you found genuine when you met him and he was speaking with you. In meeting Billy Wilson and some of the other evangelical pastors they bring in to preach chapel services, you felt a little dirty speaking with them...like you could physically see the grift oozing out their pores. Oral was not that way. I can't explain it...there was a very different vibe about him.

Like I said, I think there is some truth to this being loosely based on the Daugherty's and some of the ridiculous issues that family has had/continues to have...

I know ORU has a crazy rep and rightfully so. The individuals that run that school now are so wrapped up in their own egos and $$$ it's sad. Even Oral himself had some moments. I will tell you from meeting him (and I don't consider myself a rah rah evangelical AT ALL...I'm more of a reserved Methodist), there was something about Oral that you found genuine when you met him and he was speaking with you. In meeting Billy Wilson and some of the other evangelical pastors they bring in to preach chapel services, you felt a little dirty speaking with them...like you could physically see the grift oozing out their pores. Oral was not that way. I can't explain it...there was a very different vibe about him.
So Oral was just better at the grift? Seeming sincere I mean.

So Oral was just better at the grift? Seeming sincere I mean.
Maybe. Like I said, I can't explain it...he just came across different. Granted when I met him he was 90+ years old so not in his prime and definitely not still involved in the day to day so maybe he realized he didn't need to do the convincing anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT