ADVERTISEMENT

Rest In Peace

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Fernando Clivijo. A member of the 1994 World Cup at age 38, he started the infamous game against Colombia where the United States were unlikely winners against arguably the best attacking duo in the tourney. Later, a successful coach and technical director with FC Dallas and the Haitian National Team, he struggled with his health the last three years. He was an icon for folks in the know or just in awe at how quick he was. He was 63.

I read that the other day. I'd forgotten what an old-timer he was on that squad. I used to buy those those '94 WC trading cards and I swear I had about 10 Fernandos. I think I only bought 11 packs!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wasn't the goalie murdered back in Columbia within a week after the loss?

Wasn't the goalie murdered back in Columbia within a week after the loss?
Andres Escobar. He was a defender who attempted to deny a cross by Harkesy and the ball bounced into the net.

He was murdered outside a nightclub a few days after Colombia failed to make the group stage. They were in the legitimate discussion of who might win the cup going into the tourney.

There were three gunmen but only one fired shots. He shot six times saying “¡Gol!” after each shot, which was the same number of times Andres Cantor shouted Gol during the broadcast.

In an era of ultra aggressive and ultra unsportsmanlike Latin American defenders, he was a quiet guy who was world class and tried through example to clean up the game. He was the least deserving of Latin American soccer player in the 90’s that deserved to be murdered.

Reactions: quincy101
This documentary was one of the first 30 for 30s. It was also one of the best, along with The U, Pony Excess about SMU, and the Best That Never Was about Marcus Dupree. It explains a lot about the goal, why he was murdered, but really only glosses over two things: first that the USA had quietly built a legitimately good team. Certainly far better than anyone could have expected. Harkes was one of the better 6s in England at that point and it showed. Even if there isn’t an own goal, the cross likely reaches Earnie Stewart who will beat an out of position keeper near post. Second, people kind of think that Escobar getting shot was some kind of random madman raging of Pablo Escobar after that fact. He watched the game, Andres Cantor shouted Gol 6 times after the own goal so he called in a flunky to go shoot the guy 6 times. But kidknapping and assaination threats against soccer players was common in that era across Latin American soccer in the narco countries. Panama, Argentina, Colombia, Bolivia, Honduras, etc. One of the reasons Colombia was so good was of kidnapping motivation. Another cartel kidknapped one of the MF baby and promised safe return if they beat Argentina in qualifying. Argentina was 10 times more feared then as now, even with Messi. Maradona in 93 was not in his prime but they had the best back line in the business and three other forwards who could start on any team. They were loaded and tourney favorites. Colombia not only beat them, they tore their arms off and clubbed them to death. It was like 6-1. In addition to that kidnapping threat, the strikers baby was kidnapped by another cartel besides Pablo the night before the match against the USA. He eventually had to pledge his entire club salary to get the kid back iirc. Loads of other stories like that, particularly at the lower divisions of club soccer where cartels owned the teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT